Pulled the b16b last Sunday, ready for the K20 going in. All the old setup has been sold now, so time to get cracked on!
Mike from R-Motion sent me a DC2 subframe, arms, ARB and steering rack early this week - that's all away with the powdercoaters now.
Ecu will be sent away tomorrow for K-pro v4 fitting and an M-Factory plate diff should be with me tomorrow ready to drop in the box.
Big box arrived from K-tuned earlier today with:
- Wiring harness
- 4-1 "race header"
- Hasport EKK2 billet mounts
- RSX shifter and cables
Delrin shift knob too!
Should all come together pretty quickly next week - just need to give the engine bay a good clean up, fit the diff while box is out and fit polybushes to the subframe/arms (when they're back from powdercoating), then it can all get thrown back together!
We got the engine dropped in on Saturday and all the 98 spec DC2 running gear swapped over. Ran the shift cables through the firewall and made a start mounting up the shifter on Sunday. Will be carrying on tonight with the shifter mounts, then can make a start on hoses and the like.
Cam cover is scruffy (was flaking and didn't survive the jetwash I gave it), so that'll get refurbed, along with a few other bits, in due course.
Fitted the radiator in last night - needs a different fan shroud making as it's a bit tight. Got the fuel rail on too, then my friend came over to measure up for the clutch, pas and fuel lines he's making for it.
The connected all the steering assembly back up, now using an Integra type R steering rack, so changed to some new ITR track rods and reconnected the column.
Made some spacers for the throttle cable bracket that allows me to retain the standard cable. Fitted the temporary exhaust manifold - got to mod that to mate up to my exhaust now. Connected up the heater hoses and some of the new wiring harness too.
Just on with making some mounts for the new power steering pump now.
Will leave a few small jobs to do still:
- tanks to make for coolant expansion, pas reservoir, washer fluid and oil catch tank
- fit new front ARB drop links
- modify fan shroud
- extend charging harness
- find a suitable belt to run without the aircon pump
- fit temp sensor to stat housing
- hard pipe coolant hoses
- service engine and box
Then it's heading up to a friends place for some hoses - clutch, fuel and pas lines. Then on to tuning at RDT again. Would be nice to be able to take it for a blast next week, but we'll see how it goes!
It came from a 106. Looked at saxo first, but it wouldn't have fit nicely with its integral reservoir. I've just put it to an ignition live to start with, but it'd be nice if we could come up with some kind of speed controller for it later down the line. The weight of the steering is spot on with it
I'll get the graphs up soon, but yesterday's tuning session at RDT was a great success!
196whp with massive gains all the way through. The numbers don't really do it justice though - it is far quicker than numbers on a bit of paper lead you to believe..
The old 2.5" exhaust held it back at the top end, so there's likely another 10-20hp still in the bag, should it come to that. 3" exhaust and RBC inlet would be the next steps to take, but I think we'll just have some fun with it for a while, before ripping it to bits again.
Great result, your car will likely be making around 200hp at the flywheel at around 6000rpm when you compare that to a B18 for example making that power at close to 9000rpm.... It makes a huge difference!
I was really impressed with the difference in my car with the k20 and it feels quicker than I was expecting, the extra torque is great
My car also has a 2.5" system and as you say there is room for another 10hp at least with just adding a 3" system