Ek9 vs ep3 vs astra vxr

jonskivxr

Having owned a ep3 was jus wondering if a ek9 will beat an ep3 or an astra vxr in a 1/4 mile race

Driven properly i would say the EK9 would beat both the cars... Although EK9 is harder to drive fast with the lack of power low down pulling off can be a bit of an arse....

Also providng the EK9 is even running stock power as they often seem to make a little less......

I can confidantly say my EK9 woops EP3s with ease over a long straight with these performance mods:

Apexi induction Kit
76mm cold air feed with trumpets
Apexi exhaust system
Resonated Decat
68mm ERICKS RACING throttle bodie
SPOON ECU
Fidanza 3.5KG Aluminium lightweight Flywheel
Air conditioning removed
No jack/spare wheel etc
Blue NGK ignition leads

And to be honest i havent really spent that much doing it so can easly be made a pretty potent car...

Last edited:
i have raced slighty modded ep3 and cant beat them over a 1/4 mile and same with vxr my car is pritty standard tho:angry2:

was thinking the same,used to own a fairly modded DC5 and only just beat an astra VXR at crail,not by much!
type R's lack in torque especially compared to a turbo car,so i reckon unless the ek9 has had work then the VXR would prob have it!
just my opinion tho,i might be proven wrong

Having owned a ep3 was jus wondering if a ek9 will beat an ep3 or an astra vxr in a 1/4 mile race
I am not sure if it is the same EP3-R we get in Jamaica here but stock for stock the EP3-R win out right. My friend EP3-R made 198WHP with just CAI. K20 make more torgue which the B16B lack which its weakness.

stock vs stock no chance an ek9 will beat ep3. maybe with a stroker kit and I/H/E mods

stock vs stock no chance an ek9 will beat ep3. maybe with a stroker kit and I/H/E mods

I have to say i strongly disagree with that.

I managed a 15.2 quarter mile in a basically stock EK9 with a pretty poor pull off to say the least. I dumped the clutch twice of the line which obviously effects time quite a bit....

Very sure it was worthy of hitting 14's.... An EK9 stroked out would murder an EP3. They are like 150KG heavier.......

ek9dan:have you driven a jdm ep3 or dc5 ? its hands down faster than factory ek9

ek9dan:have you driven a jdm ep3 or dc5 ? its hands down faster than factory ek9

Oh im not talking about the JDM EP3, im talking about UK spec.

Even so i think the JDM model on UK fuel wouldnt produce much more then 210BHP which isnt huge amounts more really....

What sort of times do these JDM models put down? As driving the car would appear to feel faster due to the extra torque, but in reality isnt as much as it seems....

yes I agree the real difference maybe not as big as it feels, but if raced I think the jdm ep3 would come on top. although it would not be much. my b18cr ek9 with IHE and crome tuned only juuust keeps up with a 350z, after 140-150 the 350z simply gets away.
I dont know how much slower are uk models are though, I guess they're quite different then.

the UK models are a bit slower for sure....

I have to say i am very surprised your car is only just even with a 350Z? How much power are you running? And what are IHE mods? I pressume bolt ons?

yeah, just hytech style headers, 2.5 exhaust, intake, crome tuned, b18cr. coming out of a corner its just about same and when we hit 4th gear it simply walks away I think im getting about 143 kw atw ? obviously will read different on different dynos, but just an indication.

thats around 195Bhp at the wheels? giving around 240bhp at the flywheel! I think you mean 143KW at the FLY... In that case i can understand a 350Z is with you, they have around 270BHP. As with 240HP in your EK9 you would walk all over a 350Z and completely cane a JDM EP3.... Was the Z completely stock?

So do you think the JDM EP3 feels quicker then your EK9?

probably on par with ep3 or mine would be slightly faster, but it would be veryvery close
heres my dyno sheet, apparently that particular dyno reads a bit higher, so I would be between 135 and 140 kw
Image034.jpg

that is ATW!????

Im very confused here....

So your car with around 240BHP is pretty much the same as a stock JDM EP3 with 210BHP and weighs 150KG more?

How does that make any sense? What is your best time on the quarter mile strip?

havent taken it to the quarter mile, as I mentioned, Ive been told that particular dyno reads slightly higher, hence I would be making round 135 kw atw, so similar to jdm ep3 ?
so yeah it would still be similar i reckon, around the track I would probably have the upper hand under braking due to being lighter, but high speed corners probably ep3 due to higher body ridgity. but all this aside drive is what usually makes the difference around the track, especially when cars are quite similar like this. put a good driver in the ek9 and and a bad to average driver in the ep3, ek9 with better driver will be able to pass the ep3 on a track

that would still make yours 183KW At the fly and the JDM EP3 154KW At the Fly(maybe a touch more)2-5KW....

You still have much more power and lighter. So nowhere in the same league...

Do you see what im saying? It doesnt make sense... Something isnt right.

from what i have heard a EK9 should pull away from a UK EP3, but not a JDM EP3 :))

Not too sure about the Astra VXR???

ek9dan: I think you shouldnt really get all caught up in the figures, seriously unless you put the cars side by side figures are arbitrary, and is 135-140 kw atw 183 kw at the fly ?? how are you doing these calculations ? as Im trying to explain here numbers are just an indication and unless they are done on same dynos same conditions blablahblah
they will just be an indication, especially with cars being quite closely matched. there are so many factors to be considered seriously its not funny. not to mention one is 5 speed and one is 6 speed

Back