My Rally Car Build

forestfighter

ZR-TEC RALLY TEAM
Hi guys. If some of you are wondering why i'm here, then please check my other threads about B16 engines. I thought i would post pics of my project, as it may appeal to some :)

As i'm still at university, i havn't had the biggest budget ever, so had to plod on at snails pace around my designing!

Anyway. Here's what it looked like as standard 6 months ago...

ZR2.jpg

ZR5.jpg

Then i ran the car for a few months, adding bits as i could afford. I bought a full Tony Law competition de-cat exhaust and tubular manifold. I had the head ported, added the bigger inlet manifold from the 1.8 ZR and then fitted a carbon airbox.

SP_A0324.jpg

The i finally took the plunge and started with the stripping process. I kind of had to keep the car relatively mobile, so didint bother with removing engine... Plus yellow is a good colour for a rally car and it was mint enough to keep the original paint..!!

SP_A0951.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

Say Bye Bye!

IMG_0122.jpg

looks fun, i remember seeing your thread, you have a 1600cc limit right?

Then it was away to our friends garage for the cage putting in. Safety Devices Multi Point Weld in.

DSC00137-1.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Then was paint. Here i had a dilemma! As the outside paint didn't need painting, i was reluctant to start spraying the inside and getting overspray everywhere.... I decided to brush it with a synthetic car paint. When i've competed in the past, the floors have always got scratched from driver/navigator getting in and out - at least i can touch it up with the brush paint... ;)

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Then it was time to sort the dash and start putting seats in etc. Unfortunately i havn't got a pic of the seats. Hybrid Carbon Motordrive jobbies. They weigh absolutely FA!

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Then we went to Scarborough for a little photo whoring session. My friend is a learning photograher, so was keen to take pics! Love these pics :D

john1.jpg

john10.jpg

john17.jpg

john7.jpg

Last edited:
The we uprated the brakes and put ZR160 disks on the back and Wilwood 4 pots on front with mintex pads all round. I had an ABS button fitted on the dash, so it could be turned on for road sections and then off for stages.

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

The a bit of tidying up and making look pretty...

100_0053.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

That's where she is atm...

Next is

- Polycarbonate windows
- Sump and Tank Guards
- Honda engine :p
- Fire extinguishers

then she should be ready for log booking. Comments welcome.

Thanks

John

not a fan of MG's but fair play to you mate, a lot of effort went into that. Should be fun with a honda engine in it lol What engine you putting in? B16B or B16A?

It looks mental mate! I wish I had the time & the money to do something like that. Love it! :nice:

How much you spent on it so far out of interest??

not a fan of MG's but fair play to you mate, a lot of effort went into that. Should be fun with a honda engine in it lol What engine you putting in? B16B or B16A?

I was originally looking at the B16B but today i kind of stumbled accross a K20A at a friend workshop.... Hmmmmm. lol

It looks mental mate! I wish I had the time & the money to do something like that. Love it! :nice:

How much you spent on it so far out of interest??

Thank-you matey. :D

At present i have put around 5k into it. However our family have a lot of contacts in the motorsport world, so i have had discounts here and there where i could. lol. It would have cost more without these! :)

I still have around 3k to spend to get it finished. Should be a little beast when done though ;)

If you could shoehorn a K20a into that, that thing would be amazing. There's not a better NA 2.0 ltr, so you would be very competitive. Great work and great car so far.

Fantastic work :)

I am truly impressed with your project my man!!!
Keep it up

Thanks bud :)

If you could shoehorn a K20a into that, that thing would be amazing. There's not a better NA 2.0 ltr, so you would be very competitive. Great work and great car so far.

It would be very competitive indeed. I shall review finances at the end of the month ;)

Thanks for kind comments though people! :D

If its roughly £8000 to put a K20 in a civic i'm guessing it would be a bit more to put one in an MG and if youve only got around 3k left to spent then youve no chance :(

Why not a JDM B18C :D

student you say??? :O lol

ballsy move mate to start that, liking the cage, where did you have it done and how much was it if you dont mind me asking? im guessing it will be fully fia approved if your thinking of rallying competatively. a cage is something im gonna have to think about soon :( bolt ins are no good imo

Yeah i'm thinking more towards the K20... What ever i do decide on, i need to consider my classes. I thought of a B18, but if i'm going to be in the 2.0 class, then i may as well have the full 2.0's....

However i would prefer to be a 1600 though... :)

Awesome project - I love the look of the MGZR, always wanted one, but an EK9 was cheaper here in NZ!

I would be wary of K20, there have been a few horror stories in the racing scene over here, but I bet that the support is better in the UK (we are still messing around with B series). If you do get a K series make sure you get a baffled sump and upgraded oil pump!

I have a friend who had a 2 litre B18Cr built for his circuit racer ITR. It cost much kess than doing a K20 swap and made more power (at least 250hp, and its AMAZING).

He spent about NZD13,000 on his engine alone, which is expensive for here, but in UK money isn't too bad. Have you thought about getting the work done in New Zealand? There are many UK GTR owners that send their cars here to RIPS to have them build them a 1,000hp (gulp) road car. Costs lots less to ship the car here and back than to have the work done in the UK - go figure!

I can put you on to a crowd in Tauranga who could build an engine for you to the same spec as the ITR for something like 3-4k poounds...

Just a thought - would love to see this car ripping up gravel, can you get a super 1600 wide body kit for it? Or is that uber expensive?

Watching with interest!

they put the oil pump out of the s2000 engine into the k20A2 as its a better oil pump.

Awesome project - I love the look of the MGZR, always wanted one, but an EK9 was cheaper here in NZ!

I would be wary of K20, there have been a few horror stories in the racing scene over here, but I bet that the support is better in the UK (we are still messing around with B series). If you do get a K series make sure you get a baffled sump and upgraded oil pump!

I have a friend who had a 2 litre B18Cr built for his circuit racer ITR. It cost much kess than doing a K20 swap and made more power (at least 250hp, and its AMAZING).

He spent about NZD13,000 on his engine alone, which is expensive for here, but in UK money isn't too bad. Have you thought about getting the work done in New Zealand? There are many UK GTR owners that send their cars here to RIPS to have them build them a 1,000hp (gulp) road car. Costs lots less to ship the car here and back than to have the work done in the UK - go figure!

I can put you on to a crowd in Tauranga who could build an engine for you to the same spec as the ITR for something like 3-4k poounds...

Just a thought - would love to see this car ripping up gravel, can you get a super 1600 wide body kit for it? Or is that uber expensive?

Watching with interest!

Thanks for your reply. I havn't had much chance to got online much recently...

As for the S2000 wide arch kit - it could be done, but isn't really viable for me. It would cost a serious wedge and wouldn't give me any advantage... The S2000 cars have the wide arches because of their 4WD system and wider track.

I have been updating this project if anybody wishes to see more updates???

John

Back