rocker painting

morevtec

Donator
Donator
anyone have much experience painting rocker covers , i want to paint mine. anything to watch out for or the best possible way to get a good result? thinking of an anidised blue kind of a colour.

hi mate, ive just done mine and found that the most time consuming part is the prep, if this is done properly then all should be good :)

img7984f.jpg

imag0188s.jpg

imag0189yd.jpg

imag0190k.jpg

thanks, i used VHT wrinkle black, got 2 spray cans and used just over half of one lol

winner !! sounds good. much prep'n involved? sandblast probably be ideal.

I'm doing this now. Dose anyone have a good way of shaving the paint of the writing clean

winner !! sounds good. much prep'n involved? sandblast probably be ideal.

the valve was pretty much stripped when i got it mate but still took a while to get into all the wee bits etc sandblast would be ideal though :)

I'm doing this now. Dose anyone have a good way of shaving the paint of the writing clean

i very carefully used a grinder to do mine :nerv: then used a air sander to smooth it off, if theres noticable marks that your not happy with then you can lightly fill it but i never bothered as i used the wrinkle effect paint that covered them :)

Doing mine this week hopefully. How long did you leave your wrinkle paint to set and did you put it in oven

Results look good

Recently did this to my s2000 cam cover, I used vht wrinkle red and used a heat gun to get it to wrinkle up. Once it was touch dry I stuck it on the engine and run it to dry it off.

Doing mine this week hopefully. How long did you leave your wrinkle paint to set and did you put it in oven

Results look good

its even better now mate that was just as it turned touch dry, was just to big to go in the oven lol so sat it infront of the big gas space heater in the garage for about 30mins :)

then pretty much the same a jesse888 stuck it on the car to finish it

its even better now mate that was just as it turned touch dry, was just to big to go in the oven lol so sat it infront of the big gas space heater in the garage for about 30mins :)

then pretty much the same a jesse888 stuck it on the car to finish it

I ant even checked if it would go in my own oven just assumed because a lot of people mention it, Im off work this week so I'm gonna get it done while I have time
I'll post a pic up when I've done it

Careful preparation is the key. VHT wrinkle stuff does not need any primer, mine was painted over a year ago and it still looks as good as new. A few things to point out if anyone will be using VHT crinkle paint - DO NOT apply more later if you miss a bit - the finish will not be the same! EVERYTHING must be done at the same time, there's no margin for error. In my case I missed a bit in the gap between the rocker and timing belt cover parts, so I thought I would just respray it later - a big mistake, I had to strip it down and start all over again! As for the writing - you can use a wee bit of grease on the writing and then just wipe the paint off, however I don't like that idea because the grease may get somewhere else and if you don't notice it you are buggered. I personally use dremel to take most of the paint off and then a very fine sandpaper on a block to polish it out.

has anyone done theres without using vht paint? as in use normal car paint? if its prepd and primed first will it be ok ?

Mine wouldn't fit in the oven so best to let it touch dry and just bung it back on. Will smell of paint for a while.

For the lettering. I applied a very small amount of hard car wax (very carefully) before painting and then just scrapped it off after a couple of days. Made it real easy to remove.

Need to re-do mine as I fooked it up but then I did do it in a cold shed, so no wonder there! :))

has anyone done theres without using vht paint? as in use normal car paint? if its prepd and primed first will it be ok ?

I did try to find out if normal paint would be ok, couldn't really find a proper answer.

But there is so much choice these days for high temp paints i.e. Brake paint there's no real need to use normal paint. That way you know it will handle the heat and any grease or oil much better.

i was going to get my friend who is a panel beatter to spray it thats why i was interested in using normal paints. i saw a few people with fancy jap rising sun covers they must be using normal paint?

I used normal paint on the s2k cover befor I went wrinkle. It did crack by the manifold but I didn't use any primers so that's why that happened.

Back