Lazybean's EK Hatch - Saving a Civic :)

lazybean

I don't think I have properly introduced myself on this forum although I have been here a while and have lurked even longer.

So jumping straight in;

I had been saving up for a civic for probably 8 months, I couldnt afford a nine at the time, especially on insurance. So I ended up buying a B18C4 swapped EK3 with 80k on the chasis and 70k on the engine for £1800.

At this point I was very green and probably paid to much for a car that was rough around the edges to say the least.

This is what she looked like when I got her home.

2012+-+66

Notice the state of the bonnet
2012+-+14

After looking around the car I realised I had a lot of work cut out, and would have to learn as I went. The first thing I did was strip the interior

2012+-+4

2012+-+45

2012+-+52

2012+-+56

So I stripped all the paint and grinded all the surface rust I could

2012+-+77

Primed it, although as you can see I didnt bother doing the whole of the back and in hind sight this was a bad move. I wanted to keep the rear interior because it was going to be a daily drive and I wanted the speakers.
Maybe not to everyones taste, and to be honest I would do it differently If I was to do it again.

Primed

2012%2B-%2B39

Painted with BW sparkling Graphite to match the car. Doesnt look very good in this photo

2012+-+35

Purchased an EK9 carpet
2012+-+58

And door cards

2012+-+57

Installed the interior along with a carbon fuel pump cover (a present from the missus)

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

Cleaned up the rear speakers and installed them back in

IMAG0477.jpg

And thats how the interior stands for now, lacking seats

2012+-+1

So at this point I started to get more seroius with the car. I was more focused towards the handling and braking ability of this car and not overly fussed with power and so this lead to some of the following decisions. I wanted a 5 lug setup, not only because the more lugs you have the more baller you are :p

But because it meant I could upgrade to 282mm discs upfront and get rid of the horrible drums at the back, as well as some suspension upgrades and a rebush along the way.

I also realised that she had also been in a small bump before. This meant I would have to replace the front panel along with the drivers side wheel well.

So this was January and these are some bits I accumulated over Christmas and Birthday

IMAG0514.jpg

New Teng Set :D
2012+-+22

Beaks bar

IMAG0150.jpg

Sourced a 5 lug from a UK spec 98 integra

IMAG0468.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so I don't really have any photos of the damage at the front. This is the best I have

If you look on the far side you can see how sh1tty the panel is

IMAG0143.jpg

This is with those panels removed

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

It looked a freaking mess, So I decided to treat all of the rust with an american product called POR15, its wicked stuff.

IMAG0479.jpg

Unfortunately im missing a lot of pictures from this stage

Managed to source a front wheel well from a german Honda dealership!

2012+-+20

2012+-+21

Got my mate Chris round to weld it up.

20120827_150732.jpg

treated it with the POR

20120827_171441.jpg

20120827_171507.jpg

I have done a semi wire tuck as well, just hiding the headlight loom. Ill get some pics of this up soon.

Onto the suspension and brakes

Some Hel Lines

IMAG0454.jpg

Got some 282 brakes and refurbed them

When I got them

IMAG0152.jpg

Looking New :)

IMAG0151.jpg

some buddy club camber arms

20120829_165439.jpg

20120829_165632.jpg

Honda drive shaft seals

20120830_230632.jpg

Brembo Discs

20120906_191357.jpg

and this is what it looks like all assembled, with new POR underseal, and yonaka driveshafts rated to 300bhp

20120907_160813.jpg

more like state of that pully! :p haha jokes! seen some of your pics on instagram but damn! you have but some really good effort into this! thought you owned an ek9 too :p keep it up though, lookin forward to it

Very nice!
Looking forward to see more :nice:

Great work, please come do the same to my car ;) look forward to seeing more

I'll bang some updates Sundays night!

more like state of that pully! :p haha jokes! seen some of your pics on instagram but damn! you have but some really good effort into this! thought you owned an ek9 too :p keep it up though, lookin forward to it

Lol you Son of a bitch! :) that pulley is so annoying! But cheers man, gotta keep up the motivation. You updated your thread yet?

For now a sneak peak with the nine wheels on!

20120904_195124.jpg

Last edited:
Think I need to change out to a facelift bumper to match the front.

Not sure whether to go for a carbon tailgate or not?!

2012+-+1

Nice build thread. Enjoying the pictures. Doing good for claiming you don't know much!

very nice i have almost the same spec as your car aprt from my car is clover green

I´m liking this. I really should do much of the same body/paintwork on mine, but as I am on a schedule it´ll have to wait. At least you´ve given me a bad conscience. Thumbs up and subscribed!

Awesome build so far mate :nice:

Cheers man :)

Never realised this was your car man, great work.

Thanks man, are you on Instagram?

Nice build thread. Enjoying the pictures. Doing good for claiming you don't know much!

Lol thanks, the pictures probably make it look better than it is.

Looking good :nice:

Is this their "Metal Ready" you have used here

What part are we talking about?
On the Brembo discs?

very nice i have almost the same spec as your car aprt from my car is clover green

Link me to it!!

I´m liking this. I really should do much of the same body/paintwork on mine, but as I am on a schedule it´ll have to wait. At least you´ve given me a bad conscience. Thumbs up and subscribed!

Much obliged! lol get it sorted before its too late!

So spent a bit of time messing around with the Power Steering reservoir placement. Spent some time cleaning it up and out of interest looked up how much a new one from Honda would cost and its over £100!!!! for a plastic bottle :/

2012+-+1

Yeah dude, thats me!

Your car is sick!

So decided to crack on and get the rear aches sealed, ended up doing more under the car than I original intended and ended up using a whole can of POR15.

I much prefer the grey underseal to normal black stuff :)

Some before shots

2012+-+9

2012+-+8

2012+-+7

After:

2012+-+6

2012+-+5

2012+-+4

2012+-+2

2012+-+1

I now have all the components to put the back end together. I need to get some coilovers as well but I'm just going to concentrate on getting the car rolling now as my daily drive is falling to pieces :)

Back