Spoon Throttle Body

Anto-EK9

Mitsi Evo VII
Donator
Thinking about picking one of these up for the 9 when the funds are right. Before anyone says I've searched back though the forum and found a few posts about this but nothing really exact. So whats your opinion on them guys....:)

Why not just go for the ITR throttle body I think someone mentioned on here before there the same size as the spoon one

no no no, itr and spoon not the same, yes its the same core unit (if we are referring the the first version of the spoon TB) but the spoon unit is taper bored to nearly 70mm iirc.

no no no, itr and spoon not the same, yes its the same core unit (if we are referring the the first version of the spoon TB) but the spoon unit is taper bored to nearly 70mm iirc.

Oops:angry: Just taught I remembered someone saying that in a thread on here before. Wouldnt the ITR TB be a good alternative for all the difference a bigger TB will make really

I think jugbugz covered this topic well have a look up at his posts! As far as I can remember he lost alot of low down power take a look...

I think jugbugz covered this topic well have a look up at his posts! As far as I can remember he lost alot of low down power take a look...

Yes I did. I tried out a full 65mm TB. I say full because the bore infront of the butterfly is 65mm as well as behind the butterfly 65mm. You obviously loose air velocity compared to a 60mm. Low down and mid range sucked so bad with my stock cams. Top end didnt really kick until about 7000rpm.

SPOON venturi TB is a very nice upgrade because it is only bored infront of the butterfly and kept the stock 60mm bore behind the butterfly. So what this does is supposed to create a venturi flow where air further accelerates increasing in velocity as large amounts of air rushes in and squeezes through. This is ofcourse based on air physic facts.

I recommend to just get your stock TB bored in the entry of the TB only like SPOON. Just dont touch the butterfly and the bore after the butterfly.

hope this helps because I wasted $200+ for that piece of Crap that didnt suit my engine.

Last edited:
Well the spoon throttle body is basically an ITR one that is bored out on the air intake side of the butterfly right? Is there 2 versions of it?

Looks like there is an older version @68mm. Is the 98 spec TB a direct replacement for the B16 one? Do they have a part number on so you know you have the right one? 96 & 98 spec have the same 62mm TB?

Spoon's current throttle body is a called the Venturi Throttle Body. The inner circumference of the throttle housing is shaped like a venturi thereby slightly compressing the volume of air entering the butterfly valve, making it increase in velocity.

Anyway the old non-venturi throttle body for the EK9 is 65mm in diameter Part Number is: 16400-EK9-001

For the DC2 '96 spec and '98 spec there is no difference
The Venturi Type is 70mm in diameter Part Number is: 16400-DCR-020

I might just pick up the new type one when I get some money together. Good upgrade you reckon?

Yeah! On its own, you'll get a 15-20% increase along the range in power and response. This part is designed to work with existing exhaust mods and prefect for ECU mods. I was told by the Type One mech that you'll notice the difference especially on a B16 engine.

I recommend the new Venturi type one.

Witch one B16 you refer? B16A or B16B?

Thanks

Errm...there isn't going to be any difference really isn't it? Thats why i ommited the A/B letter. Both engines have the same volumetric capacity. The part number for EG6, EK4, EK9, DC2 are the same in the Spoon catalogue.

£340 on Spoon sports Europe. Look forward to the review if you get one Anto..

Yeah! On its own, you'll get a 15-20% increase along the range in power and response. This part is designed to work with existing exhaust mods and prefect for ECU mods. I was told by the Type One mech that you'll notice the difference especially on a B16 engine.

I recommend the new Venturi type one.

Thanks for the info!

£340 on Spoon sports Europe. Look forward to the review if you get one Anto..

Okay well ill try and get one somewhere at a better price. I reckon it will be worth saving for though, could take a while:p

The plan is Spoon ECU, Throttle Body, Direct Airflow Pipe with standard air box back on and cold air feed and JDM ITR 4-1 Manifold:win:

Back