Anyone used DG03Z or FZ-201?

No, But I want to try the Federal's, love the design of them and have read some positive reviews regarding wear, which 888's cope very poorly with IMO. Direzza's are also very highly rated, I have the DZ101's on my DC2, There more like summer road tyres, but very impressive and offer great confidence with a stiff sidewall.

What puts you off the 888's out of curiosity?

I personally think there over rated, very good outright grip, but poor for endurance/wear and I feel the sidewalls could be stiffer. They aren't very road legal after a couple of track days lol.

Last edited:
I think the 888s are a great Semi Slick that is maybe geared towards road alot more. Thats what they feel like, sidewall feels soft, the wear on them is really high, and if your on a hot day the medium compound cannot cope with the temperatures. Last week we were doing up to 30 minute stints, more pressure in the rears as they dont really heat up, and the fronts weren't to bad but started going off after 15 minutes, the track was cold and hot they never went over 27psi.

Just feel there are probably better options now. I have AO48s on my ATR but they are just to expensive IMO.

I want to try the Federal, but the Direzza has great reviews.

Really want too try them federals!
I don't think they come in 16' sizes though
I use the 595 Rsr federals at the moment and think there great!

Hav ya looked up the new Ad08-R's??

No a lad that was using R888's and switched to these and swears by them now,

Hearing gud things about the nankang Ns2r's aswell!

Think Im going to go Direzzas, from what i have read they are 1kg lighter per tyre and built on a race carcass, hold grip all the way to the canvas and can hand heat cycles.

Pound for pound the Federals are a better proposition than Direzzas. I have a set on its way for my racer.
Again...as above a proper race carcass.

Also if you are local to where your car is from you can conveniently get Federals (and ns2r) direct from distributor. Service and Sport.

Pound for pound the Federals are a better proposition than Direzzas. I have a set on its way for my racer.
Again...as above a proper race carcass.

What do you prefer? With cost not being an issue what would you prefer?

I get both at good discount and its not braking the bank, just want to try something other than R888.

Im stuck for my next semi slick. Was just goin for 888's again but I like to experiment.

Ive no personal experience of Direzzas but my team mate had Direzzas on his RX7 and replaced them with FZs and has stuck with them ever since.
To some extent its a case of choosing a fave as people will disagree eternally on this topic!

I think the Dunlops were the control tyre last year for the Vtec Challenge, I seem to remember negative reviews, but this was over a 15 minute race, not a trackday, maybe try the VTC forum or HOT for accurate feedback. TGM race with the Dunlops, and rate them over an hours race (17").
I spoke to a couple of racers last year on the FZ-201, said they were good in the warm/hot weather but on a cool day really struggled to get heat into them and found them lacking for grip, again a race application.
I recommend the Kumho V70A, not quite the grip of the 48's but better than the 888 for me anyway, its what I raced with last year, 40 minutes, (hard front, medium rear), although I still have some 48's left the cost for new even in 15" is staggering.

Even after reviews its good to try them yourself as your car/driving may suit better, maybe try the 888 in hard?

I've used the 03G's... generally regarded as one of the best semi slicks available, but as others have noted they come at a price, and you may find other tyres to be more cost effective. For outright performance though, they're hard to beat. And from personal experience, the soft compound is PHENOMENAL in the wet... on a ~1:20/lap circuit I've been within three seconds of my dry lap time in very wet conditions on them. But then chewed up that same set of softs within a day on the track in dry conditions, so choose your compound carefully!

The car will mostly be used over the summer now, put away over the winter. We have a set of scrubbed R888s for wet use if required.

Anyone used V70a Kumhos? Thinking hard compound.

Back