Slipstream 15" or 16"?

Yellow

I'm looking to get some new wheels for my EK9 and can't seem to decide which ones would be the more sensible option.

I had this explaination so far, 15" if ur street racing the extra tyres gives it better handling and 16" for more handling on motorways and more on top end!?!

Looking to get the slipstreams with the gunmetal and polish lip set! Competely canes two of my stds ones!! :angry2:

I'm looking to get some new wheels for my EK9 and can't seem to decide which ones would be the more sensible option.

I had this explaination so far, 15" if ur street racing the extra tyres gives it better handling and 16" for more handling on motorways and more on top end!?!

Looking to get the slipstreams with the gunmetal and polish lip set! Competely canes two of my stds ones!! :angry2:
Concerning the wheels, what I know is that, with a bigger wheel (most probably heavier than the smaller you changed, unless its racing :D) you will have more top speed but that's only the one side of the coin :(. Your braking will become worse as well as your acceleration and handling + fast axles wear and I'm always talking about non-racing, heavy wheels.
As for the tires, its logical to have more grip with more width and sidewall as you will bounce smoother. It is important not to ignore the wheel - tire fittment recommendations, for example not using small sidewall with a small wheel or big sidewall with a big wheel because then you have a problem with performance and handling. For example, the stock EK9 tires are 195/55/R15 so if you want to change it to 16" then put 205/45/R16 or 215 /45/R16 otherwise your speedo will be false

just get the size you think looks better, keep in mind 15 has more race tire options than 16... and manos is correct on the tech info...

Thanks Manos and Blinx,

gonna get the 16", looks better and i'm planning to get bigger breaks later!

Will post a picture of the car once their on!

:thanks:

cool, i think 16's still look good :nice: i have 15's but wouldent mind a second set of 16 just for fun :)

i have the slipstreams in gun metal wit polish lip the look good on civic white or yellow ones in particular!!

Since you seem to be set on slipstreams, this shouldn't be a wheel brand discussion, but there are better options for a little more money IMO.

I'll just lay down some things for 16" wheels and tires VS. 15" wheels and tires. Naturally, and in most cases, a 16" wheel will fit bigger brakes than a 15" wheel. But do you even need bigger brakes than whats on the stock ek9?(which are already great for the car's size) If you're doing endurance high speed racing, sure, but for street driving and normal track events, the stock ek9 brakes with good pads can max out street tires just fine. When the tires you are using (all street tires) can be locked up easily with the good ek9 brakes, a larger brake setup gains nothing but heat soak ability. And if you want the light weight aluminum hub factor of aftermarket brakes, theres an 11" 4 piston wilwood setup available with a seperated (but of course connected with bolt) hub and rotor.

I think a 16" wheel is the best size to compliment the EK's size as far as looks go, because at some angles a 15" looks small and others it looks great. But thats up to you.

If you keep the same overall wheel and tire diameter there should be no changes in top speed or final drive ratio. If you want to deliberately use a larger or smaller tire to change the final drive ratio you could do so, but keep the OD the same unless you really know and want the outcome.

Unsprung weight, especially that of the wheel and tire, is the best weight to save on the whole car. So you want the setup to be as light as possible without making sacrifices in strength or grip. 15" tires of the same brand are lighter than 16" tires. Usually about 2-3 pounds or so lighter. A 15" tire side wall will be slightly taller (thus, less stiff) than the 16" tire side wall, which is good for straight line accelleration but slighty worse for cornering. However some tires are stiff enough in 15" size anyway, as some tires are built to be stiff. A taller side wall will be softer and absorb road irregularities better than the stiffer side wall, if comfort is an issue. 16" tires are more expensive than 15" tires, but there is more tire selection in 16" as far as street tires go. As for race tires there are plenty in either size. For tire sizing, a 205/50-15 and 205/45-16 are typical for a 7" wide wheel. 215mm wide tires are harder to find in my searching, and if you run a 225 for extreme grip you should use at the very least a 7" wide wheel, preferably 8" wide.

16" wheels are heavier than 15" wheels. This of course equals better grip, accelleration, braking, even gas mileage with a 15" wheel. A heavier wheel setup is harder on driveline components as well. Another thing people don't think about is how a 16" wheel+tire's weight is more towards the outer edge than with a 15" wheel, which increases the leaverage of the wheels weight, making the whole setup harder to stop and accellerate. This of course it not due to the tire being bigger, but the rim's (not wheel, rim is the outside part of wheel, wheel is the whole thing) mass and tire bead being more towards the outside.

16" wheels will have more open area for brake cooling than a 15" wheel of the same size. Wheels with plently of open area between the spokes are preferred in racing due to the fact that they will cool the brakes better.

In closing, I vote 15" wheel, if your concern is performance. Just make sure you pick a stiff and sticky tire. If you care more about looks, a 16" wheel is it.

If you keep the same overall wheel and tire diameter there should be no changes in top speed or final drive ratio.
Keeping also the same tire width size
and if you run a 225 for extreme grip you should use at the very least a 7" wide wheel, preferably 8" wide.
225 mm tire won't fit at all on a 7" wheel, need at least 7.5" depending also on the tire brand
16" wheels are heavier than 15" wheels. This of course equals better grip, accelleration, braking, even gas mileage.
Question: The fact that they are heavier equals what you say or you mean the opposite??

I'm glad someone reads my long winded posts!

1- As long as the overall tire tread diameter is the same as stock (or as close as possible due to tire selection) there will be no change in the final drive. What does width have to do with the oveall diameter?
Although, I have read that when plus sizing wheels you should go with a wider tire to compensate for the shorter sidewall, what you lose in air volume with a shorter sidewall is gained with the wider width, so the same amount of air the car is sitting on is the same. I never thought this was too important.

2- It's not the ideal situation of course due to the side wall pointing outwards (giving up vertical stiffness+response), but a 225 will fit on a 7" wide wheel. I'm not saying all 225mm wide tires will fit on 7" wide wheel, but I've seen numerous cases where they were.

3- Thanks for pointing that out, I mean " a lighter 15" wheel equals "------".

1- As long as the overall tire tread diameter is the same as stock (or as close as possible due to tire selection) there will be no change in the final drive. What does width have to do with the oveall diameter?

2- It's not the ideal situation of course due to the side wall pointing outwards (giving up vertical stiffness+response), but a 225 will fit on a 7" wide wheel. I'm not saying all 225mm wide tires will fit on 7" wide wheel, but I've seen numerous cases where they were.
1- What you say its true (even though there is always an error), but what I mean is that the tire width will affect the speedo - actual speed. For example, there is not proper tire setup to replace exactly the stock 195/55/R15 with a 16" wheel. Closer to this is 215/45/R16(100.7 km/h), and then 205/45/R16(99.2 km/h). The perfect replacement would be 210/45/R16 but such a tire does not exist! :D Always there will an error. With a 225/45/R16 tire(on EK9), your speedo would read 100 km/h but your actual speed would be approx 105 km/h.
2- I didn't know that you can fit a 225 tire on a 7" wheel!! :shocked:

go for whatever size you think is best yes 16''s would affect your performance more but would look better when the car is lowered but personally i would go for the flat black slipstreams!

225 mm tire won't fit at all on a 7" wheel, need at least 7.5" depending also on the tire brand

yes they do :nice:

dino i read your long posts, i like them, you always have really good info :clap: the only reason i dont really respond is cause your right so i got nothing to argue against :lol:

yes they do :nice:

dino i read your long posts, i like them, you always have really good info :clap: the only reason i dont really respond is cause your right so i got nothing to argue against :lol:

Well, I'm glad that people appreciate detailed posts, I know you make plenty of long writeups as well and it would be a shame for such information to go unappreciated or un-noticed. My thinking in that situation, if nobody cares to read long, detailed posts why should we even bother writing it? Luckily this is not the case.

:woot:

16" wheels are heavier than 15" wheels. This of course equals better grip, accelleration, braking, even gas mileage.

im sure you meant vice/versa? also if you wanna add anything to that post related to wheel/tire/sprung or unsprung weight/or any other wheel tire tech and post it all in a new thread ill sticky it in the wheel tire forum :nice:

As usual excellent information Dino-Spumoni and Blinx9900. In your opion what is the lightest and best looking 15" rims for our championship white ek9's?

As usual excellent information Dino-Spumoni and Blinx9900. In your opion what is the lightest and best looking 15" rims for our championship white ek9's?
Even if look is a matter of taste, I would say that I have a ready made answer to this :) I would easily vote for Volk Rays for performance and Advan RG2 for look, easily!! :clap:

thank you:nice: i would definately have to say volk/rays te37 or le37 its an old wheel but its a timeless look and im pretty sure its the lightest wheels in its size and if not the lightest its deafintaly in the top 3.

Blinx I should add "with a 15" wheel." to the end of the sentence you quoted.

Thanks Dor, glad the info was helpful to you.
There are so many good wheels in 15" that will look good with champ white, such as-
Volk TE37
Volk RE30
Volk Ce28N 10 spoke or 8 spoke
SSR type C
Racing Hart CP-035
Desmond Regemaster EVO and Spoon SW388
Mugen RNR
Advan RG2
Work RSZ-R
Work Emotion CR Kai
Weds Sport TC
Enkei J-speed III
Speedstar Dunlop Formula CP-F
Speedstar Sprint Hart CP-R and CP-F-G
Enkei Gab Sports
Mugen MF-10
Mugen M7

There are of course, many more.

I love the Volk CE28N. Are the Volk CE28N "Honda Time Attack" Edition White/Red available in 15" for the EK9? That to me would provide both performance and looks.

I love the Volk CE28N. Are the Volk CE28N "Honda Time Attack" Edition White/Red available in 15" for the EK9? That to me would provide both performance and looks.
I'm waiting too for those wheels to become available. Do you have any idea when they will come out?? :bow: $5x6mfzc.jpg

Back