Shift point to stay in Vtec

nfspeedy

EK9 addicted
VIP Member
Car(s)
1996 Civic VTI EK4, 1998 Civic Type R EK9, 2020 Honda e
Hi guys
I have a simple question to you.
What is your earliest shift point with your standard EK9 to stay in Vtec after shifting. (the engine rpm drops not under 6000)
Mine is 8500 rpm. If I shift at 8400 it falls out of Vtec. So I guess that I have a lightened flywheel because the time for shifting takes too long to shift earlier than 8500.

regards
Oliver

Mine is about 8400 but it depends how I shift, if it is a slower relaxed change then I have to be dead on the limiter but if it is a quick shift then sooner is ok :)

You can tell the difference in 100rpm shifting near the redline?

Personally, I'm watching the road! :nerv:

Hi guys
So I guess that I have a lightened flywheel because the time for shifting takes too long to shift earlier than 8500.

That doesn't make sense mate, it doesn't matter how light your flywheel is or how fast your engine speed drops with your clutch in, it'll go back to the same point for a given road speed if your gear shift takes the same time.

That doesn't make sense mate, it doesn't matter how light your flywheel is or how fast your engine speed drops with your clutch in, it'll go back to the same point for a given road speed if your gear shift takes the same time.

If you have a lighter flywheel there is less inertia to keep the engine spinning, thus the engines speed will slow down quicker when the clutch is dipped.

Yes, but that won't affect where it ends up when you change up a gear.

I just use my limiter as a shift point :cool::naughty:
bwaarrrp dingg dinggg dinggg bwaarp :drive:

I just use my limiter as a shift point :cool::naughty:
bwaarrrp dingg dinggg dinggg bwaarp :drive:

I suspect you are pulling our legs - as you are a switched on kind of person ;)

If you arent pulling our legs - buy a spare engine.

Back