Gearbox wear

elchunk

KCCO
VIP Member
So got my gearbox out and opened up today. Gears dont seem to be worn but the scynro's are pretty beat up. I have have a full rebuild kit here from syncrotech to be installed, Just hope that is enough. Should i replace the Diff bearings now as well seeing as its all out?

Also from the pictures it looks like one of the shafts sits lower than the other, is that normal? :nerv:

Would change the diff bearings, you have the gearbox stripped down that much and for the sake of £50/pair of diff bearings you should change them.

There's a decent guide on here for helping you through the gearbox process also download workshop manual from Honda.info which is a very in-depth guide and has all the tolerances listed.

Edit, just had look at my gearbox, countershaft sits slightly lower than main.

Last edited:
So got my gearbox out and opened up today. Gears dont seem to be worn but the scynro's are pretty beat up. I have have a full rebuild kit here from syncrotech to be installed, Just hope that is enough. Should i replace the Diff bearings now as well seeing as its all out?

Also from the pictures it looks like one of the shafts sits lower than the other, is that normal? :nerv:

Shaft sitting lower is normal, when the top case is on you will have to lift the shaft slightly and insert the circlip,
it will sit at the Correct height when assembled

Looks clean inside which is good and means it's been well serviced

The diff bearings are pretty robust but if you can get a pair handy you may as well change them while it's stripped

The shaft will lift up when you open the circlip and tip the box upside down and here the click as the circlip seats

I assume this is the right item code for the Diff bearings. MF-TRS-DBB18, does anyone know if it comes with shims or if they have to be bought as well. I remember reading that they are only 18mm wide when they need to be 19.5mm. Need to contact tegiwa too as these are not listed on their website even though they are a distributor for M-Factory.

Just be careful ull need to use your part number on the diff bearings as there's 2 different items,open diffs use bearings without the offset bearing

I assume this is the right item code for the Diff bearings. MF-TRS-DBB18, does anyone know if it comes with shims or if they have to be bought as well. I remember reading that they are only 18mm wide when they need to be 19.5mm. Need to contact tegiwa too as these are not listed on their website even though they are a distributor for M-Factory.

Hope they don't need shims! As I've ordered these off Tegiwa for an s80 box and there was no mention of shims required. The bearings should have an offset on them.

If you get the normal flat bearings a 1.77mm shim is required for each bearing.

Edit: the above info is related to an s80

Last edited:
Just be careful ull need to use your part number on the diff bearings as there's 2 different items,open diffs use bearings without the offset bearing

I just have the standard helical diff. So what bearings do I need?

The genuine Honda diff bearings are basically custom made for Honda by NTN, the bearings supplied by the likes of M-factory are off the shelf bearings that should come with small shim washers to go between the diff and the bearing

Yea they are offset but they might still come with the shim to make it the same offset as a genuine bearing, the guy from Mfactory explained about the bearings to me and they work along side syncrotech.

Or syncrotech may have a supply for the genuine bearings that Honda uses which would be even better. The genuine Honda bearings that don't need the shims are a fortune

Last edited:
Yea they are all offset but they should still come with the shim to make it the same offset as a genuine bearing, the guy from Mfactory explained about the bearings to me and they work along side syncrotech. The genuine Honda bearings that don't need the shims are a fortune

Interesting, I have 2 sets of bearings here 1 set has an offset, other pair doesn't they are flat. The s80 box that came with the offset bearings had no shims.

Honda quoted me £82/pair of diff bearings for the s80.

Interesting, I have 2 sets of bearings here 1 set has an offset, other pair doesn't they are flat. The s80 box that came with the offset bearings had no shims.

Honda quoted me £82/pair of diff bearings for the s80.

I edited that last post after thinking that Syncrotech may actually supply the bearings that don't need a shim. The ones from the s80 box that you stripped will prob be genuine honda

Mfactory are £35 for the pair and they come which the shims

Yes get you now, hopefully get the correct bearings from tegiwa on Tuesday and get this car finished once and for all lol

Yea they will supply the correct diff bearings, are the ones on your diff now tapered or normal ball bearing type? If you are changing from tapered to ball bearing then syncrotech supply the ball bearings with a new gearbox housing shim for the new bearings but the clearance should always be measured when changing to a different diff or bearing type to be sure

A gearset is a good upgrade if the gearing suits the particular circuit but if you have to drive any distance its completely useless! I live 25mins from the track so its not too bad, if I was going any further it would be a trailer job

They are enclosed Ball Bearing type.

Going to order the ones in the link before, hopefully they are right.

Yes they should be grand, the older manufacture date Boxes came with the taper bearings but they were changed to ball bearing which makes it easier to measure and set the clearance of the diff bearings in the gearbox casing

I ordered them bearings in link elchunk, received them today, wrong bearings. They have no offset on them. Even if they we're suppose to be flat bearings I didn't receive any shims with them.

Back