Gearbox setup opinions

Rybean

Donator
Donator
Going to be building my box for the turbo setup and wanted to know if anyone has run something similar and what you thought.

Mfactory Helical LSD
Mfactory Carbon Synchros
Mfactory Hyper series clutch and flywheel

Full build new input shaft bearing etc.

What should I expect characteristics wise, I know the tech and reasoning behind it but still never driven a fwd car with an LSD.

You'll wonder why you didn't LSD sooner. You can feel the car pull itself in during the corner when on the power.
I wouldn't drive a fwd without one put it that way lol

Car is going to be street orientated with a little track use. Was told a helical will keep the car drivable and wont be too aggressive(parking/full lock) I understand that plated work better on uneven surfaces etc and are less prone to failure.

What do you think, would it be worth going for a metal plated diff ?

Not on a street car tbh.
Although the gains are impressive over the helical the clunks,jerks and funny looks can ruin the car for some people.
I have a plate in my road car, but it does next to no road miles so I get away with it.
From an open diff you'll be amazed anyway, even a stock honda LSD is a huge improvement.
I wouldn't rave about them if they where ****.

For me, if your paying for an LSD you want the full effect for your money so go plate... I've had all types of FWD LSD and plate is the best to me. I've done 5k road miles with my current Gripper LSD in a year. (EP3) The plate diff pulls you into the corner like nothing else. :)

Agreed for effectiveness the plate wins hands down.
But for a street car the clunks and general awkwardness of them make the driving experience abit of a pain unless your at full throttle everywhere.
You can use different oils to help with the clunks etc but you need to be carefull because of the syncros.
My box(back when it was matts car) had kazz oil in for about 20miles, the diff made no noise what so ever, but I'm told the shift was horribly stiff.

Stuck between the two options now, will have a chat with brosport about it. BALLS DEEP method of thinking has taken be this far... hmm.

Daily is on the horizon so perhaps I could get away with it too Jesse, I really need to feel one in use and hear it on full lock parking etc. 6 puck clutch and a plate diff could be a pita but worth it in the end when the power increases again.

Yeah, another reason I didn't go paddle clutch was because of the LSD.
I'll get a video if I can and upload it.
Lee s iirc put a video up of his LSD to show the noise, think of it like a roller coaster when it's pulling you up the hill at the start, basically same noise lol

To me they are worth the extra issues they come with for the way they work, but others really don't like it and if your spending money on new wouldn't want you to waste it or make the wrong desicison because you didn't have all the info.

Exactly the reason I respect and take on all the advice given on this forum <3 <3

If you wasn't do far away I'd show you myself. I won't be at japfest either because building the car.
Best thing is hitch a lift with someone who has one.

Agreed, Stevie @ Grinspeed told me he had fitted a few plate diffs and the customer brought them back within weeks asking for them to be removed as they didnt like them but I dont think they are bad at all, my Ep3 has stage2 clutch and 75A mounts and is stripped out so cant get much worse tbh!

Years ago I owned a Polo G40 which had a Cup Car gearbox in with plate diff... that really was nasty but I put that down to being in a very light/weak chassis with poorly designed front suspension.

Will be a hard decision to make, really need to sit and think about what exactly the cars purpose is and whether added annoyances will bother me in the long run.

Back