Mfactory Gear Set Review

vtiyoo

Though i would post up a little review of the mfactory gears now ive had them on for around a week for anyone thinking of buying.

All i can say is the gears have made a huge improvment in acceleration:D

The gear set that i went for was

3rd -1.695
4th -1.384
5th -1.000

and also got an exedy lightweight flywheel fitted at the same time.

The lightweight flywheel has made a noticable difference , the car now rips through 1st gear and is into vtec so fast in first and second, only slightly different to drive than stock.

As soon as you change up in second you are straight into the power band and its feels like the revs dont drop at all , the same with 4th gear and 5th is a slightly more of a drop but not a massive one and still better than stock.

When driving normally in any of the last 3 gears if you accelerate you get instant power, its also loads of fun just going through the gears:nice:

The gearbox whine is an added bonus makes it sound well more like a touring car lol

I dont think there is any downsides to getting the gears apart from some people may not like the extra noise at motorway speeds but if you dont mind that then i would recommened getting them done.

also want to thank Haitch for all the advise he provided before getting the gears and also greersport for fitting the gears and providing a top service.

Ive heard nothing but good things about MFactorys gearsets! Thanks for the review :clap:

just waiting on my fidanza flywheel and exedy clutch kit (due today:D) then my mfactory 4.9 final will be just bout ready to go in hehe well exited !!:clap:

vtiyoo you have pm bout that greersport company:D

Glad your enjoying the kit m8, keep us posted of the 1/4 mile battles :nice:

thanks guys :nice:

after a drive last night i cant stop smiling really does transform the car, feels alot more torquier (sp?) as well which is nice:)

i just need to practice on changing gear quicker

1/4 mile times would be good to see , haitch have you been on a 1/4 since fitting the gears and have you thought about adding a higher final drive with the gears ?

Jack

The 1/4 is not for me, trackdays only. I had thought of using the 4.78 but I believe with the gear combo I have (1.130 5th) the noise would be too much for an everyday car, eg motorway. If I get a runaround then it will happen. Somepoint in the track season next year I will move to slicks if I feel I need the extra speed, as the car is quick enough for the road :D

Are these straight cut as opposed to helical?

The tooth profiles are semi-helical, therefore they will whine more than the oem gears but not as much as straight cut gears.

The tooth profiles are semi-helical, therefore they will whine more than the oem gears but not as much as straight cut gears.

that's true straight cut are abit whiny alright but hardly notice any noise with the mfactory gears i find:D

i do have a noticable whine from the gears, very pronounced in lower speeds and i would say at the most at 30-40mph in 5th gear, also seems abit louder after driving for a while this could be due to the oil thining out in the box as it warms ?

are the final drive ratios semi-helical as well?

Is this specs are suitable for drag/street racing purpose?I'm planning to setup my gearbox..hope someone can help because the ratio and spec is an important role..thanks.,

If you could let me know the following, I can assist you :)

1) NA or Boost?
2) Rev Limit?
3) Tire Size
4) whp/lbft?

Though i would post up a little review of the mfactory gears now ive had them on for around a week for anyone thinking of buying.

All i can say is the gears have made a huge improvment in acceleration:D

The gear set that i went for was

3rd -1.695
4th -1.384
5th -1.000

and also got an exedy lightweight flywheel fitted at the same time.

The lightweight flywheel has made a noticable difference , the car now rips through 1st gear and is into vtec so fast in first and second, only slightly different to drive than stock.

As soon as you change up in second you are straight into the power band and its feels like the revs dont drop at all , the same with 4th gear and 5th is a slightly more of a drop but not a massive one and still better than stock.

When driving normally in any of the last 3 gears if you accelerate you get instant power, its also loads of fun just going through the gears:nice:

The gearbox whine is an added bonus makes it sound well more like a touring car lol

I dont think there is any downsides to getting the gears apart from some people may not like the extra noise at motorway speeds but if you dont mind that then i would recommened getting them done.

also want to thank Haitch for all the advise he provided before getting the gears and also greersport for fitting the gears and providing a top service.

what engine you run...b16b or b18c?
how about this spec?anyone have try this
3rd-1.625
4th-1.296
5th-1.000

thanks

thought i'd add a couple of vids to show the gears set improvements it made to mine

first vid is stock gear box

YouTube - Donington EK9 Honda Civic 10/5/08

second vid is with the mfactory gear set

YouTube - Honda Civic Type R EK9 Cadwell Park 2008

i'm going to change the 5th to a 1.130 as it drops off a little to much with the 1.000 for me, also so the second vid had a spoon ecu fitted so had some extra rpm

hope this shows the difference for people looking to fit these

cheers
mitch

that is dam impressive! Love it! I cant wait to get some gears :nice:

Back