Gearbox oil change

Vtec6000

Super Moderator
Donator
Scroll down for gearbox oil change guide.

Last edited:
Reactions: rvm
its easy, search the transmission forum you will find your answer both dino and I IIRC answered this question in detail awhile back...

What you need-
3 quarts of MTF. I recommend OEM MTF for most applications.
1 oil pan drain/gearbox drain plug crush washer.
1 large gearbox fill hole crush washer.
17mm socket for fill plug, 3/8" or similar for drain plug.
Funnel with 2 sizes of tubing attached, long enough to reach the fill hole from the engine bay.

newfolder009.jpg

newpictures1315.jpg

Jack up the car to level and drain the old fluid. Here I am flushing out any old leftover fluid with a little bit of new fluid. Remove the fill plug, clean both plugs and both openings. Replace drain plug with new crush washer to 35lb/ft (just don't over-tighten)

newfolder011-2.jpg

Set the funnel up in the engine bay with the tube going into the fill hole, and fill gear box to around 2.3 quarts, preferably until you can see fluid flowing out of the fill hole. Install fill plug with new washer and your done. On a side note, I recommend you buy a magnetic drain plug.
Happy shifting!

newpictures1313.jpg

What you need-
3 quarts of MTF. I recommend OEM MTF for most applications.
1 oil pan drain/gearbox drain plug crush washer.
1 large gearbox fill hole crush washer.
17mm socket for fill plug, 3/8" or similar for drain plug.
Funnel with 2 sizes of tubing attached, long enough to reach the fill hole from the engine bay.

newfolder009.jpg

newpictures1315.jpg

Jack up the car to level and drain the old fluid. Here I am flushing out any old leftover fluid with a little bit of new fluid. Remove the fill plug, clean both plugs and both openings. Replace fill plug with new crush washer to 35lb/ft (just don't over-tighten)

newfolder011-2.jpg

Set the funnel up in the engine bay with the tube going into the fill hole, and fill gear box to around 2.3 quarts, preferably until you can see fluid flowing out of the fill hole. Install fill plug with new washer and your done. On a side note, I recommend you buy a magnetic drain plug.
Happy shifting!

newpictures1313.jpg

Thanks mate thats a great help:nice: Is the MTF ok for a lsd gearbox?

Yes. Thats a photo of the newest formula of honda MTF, make sure thats what you buy.

sticky! thanks dino! :)

it may be an extra step to some, but I found it to be a bit more accurate when you remove the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and use that as a fill point as it is completely vertical...do bear in mind to watch for any foreign debris that could fall into the hole!

Key thing to remember is to ensure the car is level. For those who have clutch pack LSDs, it's important to remember that the LSD itself holds a bit of fluid.

It is recommended by cusco to rotate the passenger side wheel during a fluid change to ensure you get the correct amount of fluid inside. I tend to do this now on any transmission fluid flush by habit.

Anyone know where I can buy Honda MTF oil online or someone that will post it over to me? I went down to my local Honda dealer and all they have is 5Gallon drums:shocked: No 1ltr bottles at all and they don’t order them in either so im abit stuck as where to purchase some

just do what i do take in your own container and get them to fill it for you for a nominal fee

just do what i do take in your own container and get them to fill it for you for a nominal fee
@vtec6000 as olly said just bring container down with you to local honda dealer they will fill it you for you i have done it before:nice:

also how much in millalitres is a quart or how many litres do you need for gearbox oil?

I may have over tightened the bolts on mine.... not a biggie is it?

'Baz_ctr' To answer your question on quart's to Ml , 3 Quarts (qt.) = 2724 Milliliters (ml) or 1 Quarts (qt.) = 908 Milliliters (ml). As dino stated you need aprox 3 quarts so to be safe id get 3 litres. Hope this helps :)

At every oil change I get MTF sponsored so I'm lucky, but 3 litres is more than enough. I have lots of bottles with less than half a litre left over, soon I'll have enough for a complete oil change :)

I'm with RagingAngel - fill the box from the speedo drive :nice: Lots easier and I find it's less mess.

it may be an extra step to some, but I found it to be a bit more accurate when you remove the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and use that as a fill point as it is completely vertical...do bear in mind to watch for any foreign debris that could fall into the hole!

Key thing to remember is to ensure the car is level. For those who have clutch pack LSDs, it's important to remember that the LSD itself holds a bit of fluid.

It is recommended by cusco to rotate the passenger side wheel during a fluid change to ensure you get the correct amount of fluid inside. I tend to do this now on any transmission fluid flush by habit.

Thats the way to do it :clap:

can someone please post a picture of the speed sensor's location :D

i got told if you fill yor box rite up from the vss this could damage your syncros is this true??

Back