EK9 Honda Civic Type-R - 4.40 to ATS 4.9 Final Drive - Gear Ratio Speed Comparsion

rvm

admin
Staff member
Car(s)
EK9/Civic
Want to install a ATS 4.9 final to your B16B motor?

Check out this speed comparison chart!

attachment.php

This chart was made with a 9000 RPM limit motor.

The 4.40 final drive achieve a max speed of 270.75 km/h in all 5th gears, The 4.929 Final drive achieved a max speed 198.41 km/h in all 5th gears.

Benefits of the 4.9 Final drive:

Fast acceleration, this should be a great final drive at small tracks where you don't go faster than 200 km/h. Great for Autocross events!

Cons

The top speed is REALLY affected by this mod, if you run in a big track you will not have any good results with this final drive.

Conclusion:

It's a great mod for the B16B engine, right now I'm running a 4.78 final drive and I love it, since almost all the tracks have a max speed of like 160 km/h - 200 km/h the top speed problem shouldn't be and issue, I see that you gain more comparing of what you loose. :nice:

Anyways I prefer a 4.78 Final drive :nice:

Attachments

• $44-49gearratiospeed.JPG
    $44-49gearratiospeed.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 43,115
you can always just get an LS 5th gear, that will give you a longer 5th, with a 4.4 final LS 5th goes to 180+mph with 4.9 should be shorter but not as short as b16b 5th with 4.9.

hahaha, it's not my video, I found it on youtube...

I think this ratio is way too short though... 4.785 + cams is best...

right im deffo going for the 4.928 final drive next week ill post up videos

??? did you see what gear he was in at 140kmph? don't do it man, 5th gear @100kmph @ around 4500rpm...

just go for big cams + 4.78 or stock 4.4

yea but if i get the ats 4.9 is 1st and 2nd gear and leave standard the rest my top end wont be affected that much surely?

I noticed that tuners like SPOON and TODA, don't use 4.9fd, They seems to always make the 1st and 2nd gear longer to get more powerband 3rd and 4th is stock and keep either 4.4 or 4.78fd Anyways it depends what you want it to do...

Sorry to ask, is EK9 ori engine,gearbox top speed can go up to 270km/h? \and wat the max rpm can a stock 16b up to? some type r can up to 11000rpm, wat modification needed for 11000rpm? Thanks in advance..

to change all you internals but will still e hard to rev it that high and theres no point in reving that high cuz youll have no power that high

Simply because Fuel self detonates above 9000rpm. You need to run alcohol to ensure you make power above 9500rpm.

how about top speed of standard b16b engine and gearbox? 270kmh?

Do u guys know any different between year 98 and year 99 B16B engine? i heard tat the ecu is different.. any ohers differences? cos im still going to transplant my stock d16y7 to B16B in short while, now looking for half cut. Im from KL Malaysia. Thanks for sharing...

I would like to install 4.928 also, and I am very interested in your experience with one you have. MFactory has their own in street and pro (stronger) version but what I need is complete set. I can not afford to buy final drive and later on during installation notice that there is one small ring that I have to buy from honda delaer which is 1000 miles away.
Is there any project of changing final drive that you saw with pictures on the web?

Can anyone answer my question??? i really wanted to know.... thks

I don't know for differences in engine. May be interior. Also I don't know for differences in ecu. IT is PCT. If it is EK9, B16B, it is JDM type R, and it is PCT, obd2B. that is it, in my knowledge.

D16Y7 (SOHC Non VTEC) - goes in EJ6 (Hatchback 5 speed Manual and 4 speed auto, and Sedan).
It is non Vtec so there is difference in wiring. Type R has OBD2B and EJ6 has P2E or P2N which is also OBD2. I think there is no difference in shafts. You have to check mounts, electronic(wiring) and exhaust.

I would just buy OBD1 Ecu and conversion from OBD2 to OBD1, and rewire VTEC. There are shure lot of projects on the web, you have to find something like this one:

Team physique forum :: Connexion
So this project has been done, and if you have additional questions ask FRED (honda physique) who has done this swap. (You have to be registered user, and send him my regards(emir)).

Now back to final drive :)

Back