10w40 for gearbox?

leeK9

derpity derp
Donator
went into my local honda and asked them if they had any MTF that everyone on here swears by and got a funny look, then the guy said that honda's use engine oil in their gearbox's

i said are you sure and another guy came in and said yes just use engine oil as thats what honda reccomends?

i was super sceptical and just left

was i wrong or right?

i pretty sure their useless and know nothing

Last edited:
Honda USED to use engine oil in their transmissions.

But those days are long gone and dead and Honda actually has a pretty specific additive package to work with their transmissions now.

Those guys need to get out more often and uh...I dunno...update themselves.

And it was 10W30 for the transmission....

any idea what spec gear oil u use then?
or is ut just standard gearbox oil?

Subscribed. I also want to know what oil, since MTF is not a valid option, should I use for the gearbox. Thanks.

Do not use gear oil in a honda transmission. The oem components work best with transmission fluid, not gear oil, and may/can cause premature wear and failure.

You should be able to order Honda MTF from your local dealer. If not, and you are in the UK/Ireland, try a Land Rover dealer as it's the same stuff.

Do not use gear oil in a honda transmission. The oem components work best with transmission fluid, not gear oil, and may/can cause premature wear and failure.

You should be able to order Honda MTF from your local dealer. If not, and you are in the UK/Ireland, try a Land Rover dealer as it's the same stuff.

i only changed the gearoil few weeks ago and used normal 75w90 gearoil and my gearbox was extremly stiff when it got hot.
Im now using Amsoil MTF syncromesh fluid. Do you think thats good oil?
thanks

If you cant get MTF from honda try,
Land Rover,
MG

as i have been told they all use the same stuff

since MTF is not a valid option.

Why on earth not?:confused:

Go to Honda and ask for MTF3. If they don't know what it is, try another Honda dealer, preferably one with less morons working there.

Why on earth not?:confused:

Go to Honda and ask for MTF3. If they don't know what it is, try another Honda dealer, preferably one with less morons working there.

Because I live here http://www.abwe.org/serve/images/map_argentina.jpg and therefore Honda dealers don't seem to realize that it's healthy to change once in a while your gb oil. Actually they use some Helix transmission fluid, which I can't recall right now.
So, I'll just keep on searching until I find a decent fluid. I guess I'll have to buy Motul.
Thanks anyways:nice:

If you can't get hold of Honda or Landrover MTF, use 10w30 non-synthetic motor oil and you'll be OK, it just won't be the ideal transmission fluid. Don't use synthetic motor oil in the gearbox, and I recommend you do not use Redline MTL.

I have no experience with the MTF from Motul or Amsoil but I assume if you get the right ones for your application you'll be happy.

went into my local honda and asked them if they had any MTF that everyone on here swears by and got a funny look, then the guy said that honda's use engine oil in their gearbox's

i said are you sure and another guy came in and said yes just use engine oil as thats what honda reccomends?

i was super sceptical and just left

was i wrong or right?

i pretty sure their useless and know nothing

I can buy you some Rover/MG MTF 94 and send it over to you. They come in 2.5 litre tubs. Its up to yourself bud. I'm not to sure what the law is in shipping oil though.

you can get it from you're local honda just go in with an empty container and they fill it i think it cost me £10-15 for 5 litres easyest and best option as everyone will tell you

Back