Old style asr with beaks tie bar

Tadman

Alright guys I picked up a tie bar cheap the other day and I am aware they do virtually nothing to the car apart from looks etc etc but I can't seem to find a way to fit the tie bar to my asr? I do have the old style asr and control arm upgrade? Any help will be great as I'm pretty stuck with fitting it!

Cheers guys

Why would you want to fit a support bar ontop of a strengthening brace. ?? Surely its stiff enough with the ASR brace??

You need m10x1.25 thread 120mm lca bolts (well I did lol) 100mm was too short.

I've just fitted the exact thing.

3F91E246-3641-4F25-8360-07C701E7B481-7624-00000C41FE0750CD_zpsc7e74027.jpg

Yeah I know it is stiff but I got it cheap and I do think it looks quite nice, obv I do NOT want to lose my setup atm roll bar etc but I do want the tie bar, is that the old style asr? I know you can fit the tie bars with the new style asr as they do a collar and bolt kit but I can't find anything on the old style..

One problem I found is that on my asr the holes where the lca bolt goes through it doesn't actually touch the asr itself? The asr hole is alot bigger and the lca bolt goes straight through and the head of the bolt clamps together after the asr if that makes any sense? Ill take a pic in abit today

Cheers

If it doesn't touch it, it's gen 2. With a gen 1 the lca bolts the brace to the subframe also. Seems a better design to me dunno why they changed it.

Yeah I just checked and the lca bolts go right through and past the brace itself. Yeah I have seen the other design and it does look better, surly more rigidity if you had more things bolted to a brace?! So what can I do then? I had an idea and that was to turn on a lathe a block 22mm x 34mm cylinder with a 10.5mm drill hole in the middle. Then pop that into the asr huge hole and then with longer bolts and some washers (and the tie bar) bolt straight through the tie bar, then the turned billet through the asr and jobs a goodn? Any other ways? Also what length bolt? I'm going to go high tensile just to be safe anyway

Cheers

93D7BC7E-A129-48A2-AD5E-351A813178DF-9082-00000E5DA3590FAE_zpsc0de31e1.jpg

You'll need this :)

Also there is a guy on eBay selling 12.9 grade (standard is 8.8 I think) 120mm bolts for about £8 for two :)

What those 2 bolts and those 2 bush/reducers/collars things will drop into the asr big hole and bang I'm ready to install my much more lengthy bolts? Awesome! Where do I buy those from then? Lolol! 120mm M10 yeah?

You got it! Got that pic from weksos but if you have access to a lathe you could make your own easy. They're only billet by the looks of it.

Yeah that shouldn't be hard to make! Do you reckon you could take full measurements of the collars please? Size in mm please haha, I know it's alot to ask man but it would help me alot! And anyone else who wants the dimensions for mounting there tie bar :)

Cheers

I've got the gen 1 so was just a case of getting longer bolts.

Looks to me like they are 2mm longer than the depth of the hole to the L bracket and then the top is just like a washer so doesn't matter what size really so long as its bigger than the hole. They're like a top hat shape.

Yeah tbh i went home and just took a couple dimensions and it doesnt really matter if its not really the right size as long as it drops into the hole nicely and has alot of contact on the ASR and the bolts go through it wont matter, ill make one on a lathe and post pictures when its done :) cheers though buddy!!

I got someone to turn me 2 collars up in alluminium so ill get a pic of those up but I'm just struggling to find the correct bolts :/

M10 x 12.5 120mm 12.9 bolt, can someone do link please

Would cap head screws be alright do you think? i was thinking a hex head but i guess it doesnt really make much difference apart from using an allen on the head, i would torque the nut on the back i guess though

Cheers though man! very helpful!!

I'm running those exact ones on mine. I've just tightened mine as tight as I can, people will tell you to torque them to a specific amount but the weight isn't on the threads it's in the shaft so in my mind makes no difference. I've done track days on it an it hasn't moved at all. Just put some washers on and good to go.

They're 12.9 grade and oem are 8.8 so I've been told. I did read about how much weight the different grades can take at one point and the amount of tonnes 12.9 can deal with is rediculous. They use 8.8 grade to hold up steel lintels in houses lol.

Back