EK9.org JDM EK9 Honda Civic Type R Forum
Go Back   EK9.org JDM EK9 Honda Civic Type R Forum > Technical > Air Intake / Exhaust

Old 06-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
supersonicbug
EK9.org Newbie

supersonicbug is on a distinguished road
Air Intake Pipe Size

I have install B18CR engine into my EJ and I plan to have open port filter set up in my car. Can someone let me know what would be the optimum air intake pipe diameter size that I should have it custom make? Would 3" or 3.25" or 3.5" be fine? Thanks.

supersonicbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
JDMJNKY
EK9.org Addict!

JDMJNKY is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

3" is fine!

My Marketplace
| Blog: http://nitegrindtransmissions.wordpress.com/

JDMKIDS | CALI | AS1 FAMILIA | NastIE Garage | Wheel Werks | Dipped Parts | Synchrotech | YoSon
JDMJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
supersonicbug
EK9.org Newbie

supersonicbug is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

Thanks bro....
supersonicbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
JIMBOB-EK9

JIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJNKY View Post
3" is fine!
X2

BACK IN THE GAME

We all have a full keyboard infront of us, so please use it!
JIMBOB-EK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
jugbugz
1997 EK9 CTR

jugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of light

My Comptech is 3.5"
A 1.8 should go 3.5"

Out of the 3 cars that I've owned all at once, the DC2R was the most balanced in terms of power and handling. Handling goes to EK9, Power goes to DC5R.

EK9 + B18 or K20 Pwns all!

jugbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
JDMJNKY
EK9.org Addict!

JDMJNKY is on a distinguished road

DC5 is different from ek9 or dc2. Comptech for an ITR is 3.0 and 2.75 for b18c1 IIRC

My Marketplace
| Blog: http://nitegrindtransmissions.wordpress.com/

JDMKIDS | CALI | AS1 FAMILIA | NastIE Garage | Wheel Werks | Dipped Parts | Synchrotech | YoSon
JDMJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
jason e-ek4
EK9.org Fan

jason e-ek4 is on a distinguished road

Really? Are you sure. All the bits of information i've seen from different sources states that the Comptech intake pipe is 3.5 " in diameter.
jason e-ek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
jugbugz
1997 EK9 CTR

jugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJNKY View Post
DC5 is different from ek9 or dc2. Comptech for an ITR is 3.0 and 2.75 for b18c1 IIRC
I have it for my ek9, it's 3.5". B18 is same.

Out of the 3 cars that I've owned all at once, the DC2R was the most balanced in terms of power and handling. Handling goes to EK9, Power goes to DC5R.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
abunai888
V-tec Addict!

abunai888 is on a distinguished road

3'' even for b20 would be ok
abunai888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
KieranEG6
Argumentative!!

KieranEG6 has a spectacular aura aboutKieranEG6 has a spectacular aura about

Thinking about this now! An engine is technicaly a big air pump with a by product of rotational power to the wheels.

Soo surely the piping of the air into the engine should be relevant to the exhaust piping out, no??

If the optimum pipe diameter of the exhaust is around 2.5" (61mm) then wouldnt the optimun piping to the intake be around 2.5" or maybe only slightly larger??

Why have a big fat pipe full of air in the engine bay being heated up by the bay temps when it can only funnel into a 62mm trottle body?

Im still unconvinced by the whole Whale willy J's racing style intake pipe for this reason.

I would say a 3" pipe with a cone right in the corner behind the headlight with cold air feeds would be more than enough. Personaly id use 2.75 or less to try and keep more velocity in the air flow, depending on how much the engine was tuned. This is in relivents to a prity much std b18cR.

As when you think about it the further away the filter and the bigger the piping the more work your engine has to do to suck that cold air into it and the longer it will take thus less power.

Well thats my theory but it seems to make sense to me.
Its prity much the same argument to why we dont all a have 3" exhaust systems as its not bigger = better factor its more what size will have optimum flow for the engine setup

GOOGLE OR SEARCH BUTTON IS USUALY MUCH FASTER THAN CREATING A THREAD
My 92 EG6 SiR II and Pulsar GTiR http://www.ek9.org/forum/members-rid...tml#post503996

Last edited by KieranEG6; 06-30-2010 at 05:31 PM.
KieranEG6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
jugbugz
1997 EK9 CTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranEG6 View Post
Thinking about this now! An engine is technicaly a big air pump with a by product of rotational power to the wheels.

Soo surely the piping of the air into the engine should be relevant to the exhaust piping out, no??

If the optimum pipe diameter of the exhaust is around 2.5" (61mm) then wouldnt the optimun piping to the intake be around 2.5" or maybe only slightly larger??

Why have a big fat pipe full of air in the engine bay being heated up by the bay temps when it can only funnel into a 62mm trottle body?

Im still unconvinced by the whole Whale willy J's racing style intake pipe for this reason.

I would say a 3" pipe with a cone right in the corner behind the headlight with cold air feeds would be more than enough. Personaly id use 2.75 or less to try and keep more velocity in the air flow, depending on how much the engine was tuned. This is in relivents to a prity much std b18cR.

As when you think about it the further away the filter and the bigger the piping the more work your engine has to do to suck that cold air into it and the longer it will take thus less power.

Well thats my theory but it seems to make sense to me.
Its prity much the same argument to why we dont all a have 3" exhaust systems as its not bigger = better factor its more what size will have optimum flow for the engine setup
Your idea is correct.

The reason why the intake valves are bigger than the exhuast valves, is because it takes more energy to intake air than it does to exhuast air.

Intake piping should always be bigger than the exhuast piping so it puts less restriction on the air flow.

HP is also a measure of air CFM. Maximum torque created at xx rpm is where cylinder fill(volumetric efficiency) is at peak %. The Intake, headers and exhuast choice combination is very very important. Not just because it has a 'toda' badge on it. Combination is the key.

Anyway. I love my 3.5" comptech ice box with Twin velocity stacks.

For a B16, generic 3" is enough.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
KieranEG6
Argumentative!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugbugz View Post
Your idea is correct.

The reason why the intake valves are bigger than the exhuast valves, is because it takes more energy to intake air than it does to exhuast air.

Intake piping should always be bigger than the exhuast piping so it puts less restriction on the air flow.

HP is also a measure of air CFM. Maximum torque created at xx rpm is where cylinder fill(volumetric efficiency) is at peak %. The Intake, headers and exhuast choice combination is very very important. Not just because it has a 'toda' badge on it. Combination is the key.

Anyway. I love my 3.5" comptech ice box with Twin velocity stacks.

For a B16, generic 3" is enough.
So are you saying the mugen airbox system that uses the std 2.75 intake pipe is restricting because it using a small pipe???

Also to point out this is on a std B18CR not a b16

I know what your saying about the intake valves being bigger but i think thats more down to the port shape and angle as the air is being vacumed in not forced out so different shaped port is optimum

I dont see how a big 3.5" pipe up to a 2.5" throttle body will give gains or have more volumetric effeciency/ the optimum air velocity than a 2.75 pipe when the engine tuning is at its optimum with a 2.75 pipe.

I mean yea if your running lots of head work and big cams the optimum intake air velocity with change thus needing maybe a larger intake piping and throttle body. But with out all that your just waisting your time an probably loosing power.

My 92 EG6 SiR II and Pulsar GTiR http://www.ek9.org/forum/members-rid...tml#post503996
Old 07-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
jugbugz
1997 EK9 CTR

The mugen use the standard rubber arm which does have ripples inside.

When there's a combustion, energy is released and needs to go excavate, that's free energy, compare to when the air is intaken. This isn't my opinion, it's fact. It was even said so on a Honda video, I think it was omnimans 200whp b16a when he was talking about valves.

There's a huge difference installing a 70mm butterfly TB compared to a tapered 60mm>70mm TB. On a 1.6 or 1.8, you'd loose power, with the tapered you gain power.

The comptech system has a reducer when it connects the intake arm to the TB creating a tapered design. As well as the additional velocity stack at the end of the tube and a another massive stack at the end of the ice box.

This intake was proven to make the most power compared to AEM and injen 3" cold intake pipe, peak and especially mid range torque and HP. Most of all, it generated the most gain per RPM.

I chose this intake because it works on a 1.6 and give plenty of headroom for 1.8 or 2.0L.

My power graph showed it developed max whp @ 9000rpm stock internals after tuning of course. I don't think I'm loosing power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranEG6 View Post
So are you saying the mugen airbox system that uses the std 2.75 intake pipe is restricting because it using a small pipe???

Also to point out this is on a std B18CR not a b16

I know what your saying about the intake valves being bigger but i think thats more down to the port shape and angle as the air is being vacumed in not forced out so different shaped port is optimum

I dont see how a big 3.5" pipe up to a 2.5" throttle body will give gains or have more volumetric effeciency/ the optimum air velocity than a 2.75 pipe when the engine tuning is at its optimum with a 2.75 pipe.

I mean yea if your running lots of head work and big cams the optimum intake air velocity with change thus needing maybe a larger intake piping and throttle body. But with out all that your just waisting your time an probably loosing power.

Last edited by jugbugz; 07-01-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
KieranEG6
Argumentative!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugbugz View Post
The mugen use the standard rubber arm which does have ripples inside.

When there's a combustion, energy is released and needs to go excavate, that's free energy, compare to when the air is intaken. This isn't my opinion, it's fact. It was even said so on a Honda video, I think it was omnimans 200whp b16a when he was talking about valves.

There's a huge difference installing a 70mm butterfly TB compared to a tapered 60mm>70mm TB. On a 1.6 or 1.8, you'd loose power, with the tapered you gain power.

The comptech system has a reducer when it connects the intake arm to the TB creating a tapered design. As well as the additional velocity stack at the end of the tube and a another massive stack at the end of the ice box.

This intake was proven to make the most power compared to AEM and injen 3" cold intake pipe, peak and especially mid range torque and HP. Most of all, it generated the most gain per RPM.

I chose this intake because it works on a 1.6 and give plenty of headroom for 1.8 or 2.0L.

My power graph showed it developed max whp @ 9000rpm stock internals after tuning of course. I don't think I'm loosing power.
The tuning of a 200hp b16 is a bit different as its a tuned motor so cams and managment are totaly different.

I wasnt saying your intake system would loose power as your using a specific designed one. And to add to that you have mapped it to suit. On that note a std b18c with peak hp right up at 9000 doesnt sound very usefull to me. Just out of intrest can you show me were your intake system was proven to be the best or was that the best just over the AEM and Injen. Witch i have had both of an really didnt think much of on the road so i refitted my std system with a drop in and found the cars power curve to be much more usable.

I was refering to for example you got a 3.5" tube with a cone on the end and piped it into the intake would not really see much gains or none, if anything move the power curve higher into the revs an loose out on lower down torque.

My point is if your fitting a std b18cr why fit a 3" intake pipe when the std intake system is plenty suficient.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
B20_R
EK9.org Member

B20_R is on a distinguished road

3" is fine even for 2.0 setups.