EK9.org JDM EK9 Honda Civic Type R Forum
Go Back   EK9.org JDM EK9 Honda Civic Type R Forum > Technical > Air Intake / Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
supersonicbug
EK9.org Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16
supersonicbug is on a distinguished road
Air Intake Pipe Size

I have install B18CR engine into my EJ and I plan to have open port filter set up in my car. Can someone let me know what would be the optimum air intake pipe diameter size that I should have it custom make? Would 3" or 3.25" or 3.5" be fine? Thanks.

supersonicbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
JDMJNKY
EK9.org Addict!
 
JDMJNKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: sOuL-CaL
Posts: 502
JDMJNKY is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

3" is fine!
__________________

My Marketplace
| Blog: http://nitegrindtransmissions.wordpress.com/

JDMKIDS | CALI | AS1 FAMILIA | NastIE Garage | Wheel Werks | Dipped Parts | Synchrotech | YoSon
JDMJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
supersonicbug
EK9.org Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16
supersonicbug is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

Thanks bro....
supersonicbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
JIMBOB-EK9
Moderator
 
JIMBOB-EK9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Preston North West England
Posts: 2,671
JIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to beholdJIMBOB-EK9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJNKY View Post
3" is fine!
X2
__________________

BACK IN THE GAME


We all have a full keyboard infront of us, so please use it!
JIMBOB-EK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
jugbugz
1997 EK9 CTR
 
jugbugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honda town
Posts: 2,863
jugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

My Comptech is 3.5"
A 1.8 should go 3.5"
__________________
1997 EK9 Civic Type R with 99-00 facelift.
2001 DC2 Integra Type R (SOLD)
2003 DC5 Integra Type R

Out of the 3 cars that I've owned all at once, the DC2R was the most balanced in terms of power and handling. Handling goes to EK9, Power goes to DC5R.

EK9 + B18 or K20 Pwns all!

jugbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
JDMJNKY
EK9.org Addict!
 
JDMJNKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: sOuL-CaL
Posts: 502
JDMJNKY is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

DC5 is different from ek9 or dc2. Comptech for an ITR is 3.0 and 2.75 for b18c1 IIRC
__________________

My Marketplace
| Blog: http://nitegrindtransmissions.wordpress.com/

JDMKIDS | CALI | AS1 FAMILIA | NastIE Garage | Wheel Werks | Dipped Parts | Synchrotech | YoSon
JDMJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
jason e-ek4
EK9.org Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 174
jason e-ek4 is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

Really? Are you sure. All the bits of information i've seen from different sources states that the Comptech intake pipe is 3.5 " in diameter.
jason e-ek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
jugbugz
1997 EK9 CTR
 
jugbugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honda town
Posts: 2,863
jugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJNKY View Post
DC5 is different from ek9 or dc2. Comptech for an ITR is 3.0 and 2.75 for b18c1 IIRC
I have it for my ek9, it's 3.5". B18 is same.
__________________
1997 EK9 Civic Type R with 99-00 facelift.
2001 DC2 Integra Type R (SOLD)
2003 DC5 Integra Type R

Out of the 3 cars that I've owned all at once, the DC2R was the most balanced in terms of power and handling. Handling goes to EK9, Power goes to DC5R.

EK9 + B18 or K20 Pwns all!

jugbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
abunai888
V-tec Addict!
 
abunai888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,714
abunai888 is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

3'' even for b20 would be ok
abunai888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
KieranEG6
Argumentative!!
 
KieranEG6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Isle of Man
Posts: 1,741
KieranEG6 has a spectacular aura aboutKieranEG6 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

Thinking about this now! An engine is technicaly a big air pump with a by product of rotational power to the wheels.

Soo surely the piping of the air into the engine should be relevant to the exhaust piping out, no??

If the optimum pipe diameter of the exhaust is around 2.5" (61mm) then wouldnt the optimun piping to the intake be around 2.5" or maybe only slightly larger??

Why have a big fat pipe full of air in the engine bay being heated up by the bay temps when it can only funnel into a 62mm trottle body?

Im still unconvinced by the whole Whale willy J's racing style intake pipe for this reason.

I would say a 3" pipe with a cone right in the corner behind the headlight with cold air feeds would be more than enough. Personaly id use 2.75 or less to try and keep more velocity in the air flow, depending on how much the engine was tuned. This is in relivents to a prity much std b18cR.

As when you think about it the further away the filter and the bigger the piping the more work your engine has to do to suck that cold air into it and the longer it will take thus less power.

Well thats my theory but it seems to make sense to me.
Its prity much the same argument to why we dont all a have 3" exhaust systems as its not bigger = better factor its more what size will have optimum flow for the engine setup
__________________

GOOGLE OR SEARCH BUTTON IS USUALY MUCH FASTER THAN CREATING A THREAD
My 92 EG6 SiR II and Pulsar GTiR http://www.ek9.org/forum/members-rid...tml#post503996

Last edited by KieranEG6; 06-30-2010 at 05:31 PM.
KieranEG6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
jugbugz
1997 EK9 CTR
 
jugbugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honda town
Posts: 2,863
jugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranEG6 View Post
Thinking about this now! An engine is technicaly a big air pump with a by product of rotational power to the wheels.

Soo surely the piping of the air into the engine should be relevant to the exhaust piping out, no??

If the optimum pipe diameter of the exhaust is around 2.5" (61mm) then wouldnt the optimun piping to the intake be around 2.5" or maybe only slightly larger??

Why have a big fat pipe full of air in the engine bay being heated up by the bay temps when it can only funnel into a 62mm trottle body?

Im still unconvinced by the whole Whale willy J's racing style intake pipe for this reason.

I would say a 3" pipe with a cone right in the corner behind the headlight with cold air feeds would be more than enough. Personaly id use 2.75 or less to try and keep more velocity in the air flow, depending on how much the engine was tuned. This is in relivents to a prity much std b18cR.

As when you think about it the further away the filter and the bigger the piping the more work your engine has to do to suck that cold air into it and the longer it will take thus less power.

Well thats my theory but it seems to make sense to me.
Its prity much the same argument to why we dont all a have 3" exhaust systems as its not bigger = better factor its more what size will have optimum flow for the engine setup
Your idea is correct.

The reason why the intake valves are bigger than the exhuast valves, is because it takes more energy to intake air than it does to exhuast air.

Intake piping should always be bigger than the exhuast piping so it puts less restriction on the air flow.

HP is also a measure of air CFM. Maximum torque created at xx rpm is where cylinder fill(volumetric efficiency) is at peak %. The Intake, headers and exhuast choice combination is very very important. Not just because it has a 'toda' badge on it. Combination is the key.

Anyway. I love my 3.5" comptech ice box with Twin velocity stacks.

For a B16, generic 3" is enough.
__________________
1997 EK9 Civic Type R with 99-00 facelift.
2001 DC2 Integra Type R (SOLD)
2003 DC5 Integra Type R

Out of the 3 cars that I've owned all at once, the DC2R was the most balanced in terms of power and handling. Handling goes to EK9, Power goes to DC5R.

EK9 + B18 or K20 Pwns all!

jugbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
KieranEG6
Argumentative!!
 
KieranEG6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Isle of Man
Posts: 1,741
KieranEG6 has a spectacular aura aboutKieranEG6 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugbugz View Post
Your idea is correct.

The reason why the intake valves are bigger than the exhuast valves, is because it takes more energy to intake air than it does to exhuast air.

Intake piping should always be bigger than the exhuast piping so it puts less restriction on the air flow.

HP is also a measure of air CFM. Maximum torque created at xx rpm is where cylinder fill(volumetric efficiency) is at peak %. The Intake, headers and exhuast choice combination is very very important. Not just because it has a 'toda' badge on it. Combination is the key.

Anyway. I love my 3.5" comptech ice box with Twin velocity stacks.

For a B16, generic 3" is enough.
So are you saying the mugen airbox system that uses the std 2.75 intake pipe is restricting because it using a small pipe???

Also to point out this is on a std B18CR not a b16

I know what your saying about the intake valves being bigger but i think thats more down to the port shape and angle as the air is being vacumed in not forced out so different shaped port is optimum

I dont see how a big 3.5" pipe up to a 2.5" throttle body will give gains or have more volumetric effeciency/ the optimum air velocity than a 2.75 pipe when the engine tuning is at its optimum with a 2.75 pipe.

I mean yea if your running lots of head work and big cams the optimum intake air velocity with change thus needing maybe a larger intake piping and throttle body. But with out all that your just waisting your time an probably loosing power.
__________________

GOOGLE OR SEARCH BUTTON IS USUALY MUCH FASTER THAN CREATING A THREAD
My 92 EG6 SiR II and Pulsar GTiR http://www.ek9.org/forum/members-rid...tml#post503996
KieranEG6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
jugbugz
1997 EK9 CTR
 
jugbugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honda town
Posts: 2,863
jugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of lightjugbugz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

The mugen use the standard rubber arm which does have ripples inside.

When there's a combustion, energy is released and needs to go excavate, that's free energy, compare to when the air is intaken. This isn't my opinion, it's fact. It was even said so on a Honda video, I think it was omnimans 200whp b16a when he was talking about valves.

There's a huge difference installing a 70mm butterfly TB compared to a tapered 60mm>70mm TB. On a 1.6 or 1.8, you'd loose power, with the tapered you gain power.

The comptech system has a reducer when it connects the intake arm to the TB creating a tapered design. As well as the additional velocity stack at the end of the tube and a another massive stack at the end of the ice box.

This intake was proven to make the most power compared to AEM and injen 3" cold intake pipe, peak and especially mid range torque and HP. Most of all, it generated the most gain per RPM.

I chose this intake because it works on a 1.6 and give plenty of headroom for 1.8 or 2.0L.

My power graph showed it developed max whp @ 9000rpm stock internals after tuning of course. I don't think I'm loosing power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranEG6 View Post
So are you saying the mugen airbox system that uses the std 2.75 intake pipe is restricting because it using a small pipe???

Also to point out this is on a std B18CR not a b16

I know what your saying about the intake valves being bigger but i think thats more down to the port shape and angle as the air is being vacumed in not forced out so different shaped port is optimum

I dont see how a big 3.5" pipe up to a 2.5" throttle body will give gains or have more volumetric effeciency/ the optimum air velocity than a 2.75 pipe when the engine tuning is at its optimum with a 2.75 pipe.

I mean yea if your running lots of head work and big cams the optimum intake air velocity with change thus needing maybe a larger intake piping and throttle body. But with out all that your just waisting your time an probably loosing power.
__________________
1997 EK9 Civic Type R with 99-00 facelift.
2001 DC2 Integra Type R (SOLD)
2003 DC5 Integra Type R

Out of the 3 cars that I've owned all at once, the DC2R was the most balanced in terms of power and handling. Handling goes to EK9, Power goes to DC5R.

EK9 + B18 or K20 Pwns all!


Last edited by jugbugz; 07-01-2010 at 03:08 PM.
jugbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
KieranEG6
Argumentative!!
 
KieranEG6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Isle of Man
Posts: 1,741
KieranEG6 has a spectacular aura aboutKieranEG6 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugbugz View Post
The mugen use the standard rubber arm which does have ripples inside.

When there's a combustion, energy is released and needs to go excavate, that's free energy, compare to when the air is intaken. This isn't my opinion, it's fact. It was even said so on a Honda video, I think it was omnimans 200whp b16a when he was talking about valves.

There's a huge difference installing a 70mm butterfly TB compared to a tapered 60mm>70mm TB. On a 1.6 or 1.8, you'd loose power, with the tapered you gain power.

The comptech system has a reducer when it connects the intake arm to the TB creating a tapered design. As well as the additional velocity stack at the end of the tube and a another massive stack at the end of the ice box.

This intake was proven to make the most power compared to AEM and injen 3" cold intake pipe, peak and especially mid range torque and HP. Most of all, it generated the most gain per RPM.

I chose this intake because it works on a 1.6 and give plenty of headroom for 1.8 or 2.0L.

My power graph showed it developed max whp @ 9000rpm stock internals after tuning of course. I don't think I'm loosing power.
The tuning of a 200hp b16 is a bit different as its a tuned motor so cams and managment are totaly different.

I wasnt saying your intake system would loose power as your using a specific designed one. And to add to that you have mapped it to suit. On that note a std b18c with peak hp right up at 9000 doesnt sound very usefull to me. Just out of intrest can you show me were your intake system was proven to be the best or was that the best just over the AEM and Injen. Witch i have had both of an really didnt think much of on the road so i refitted my std system with a drop in and found the cars power curve to be much more usable.

I was refering to for example you got a 3.5" tube with a cone on the end and piped it into the intake would not really see much gains or none, if anything move the power curve higher into the revs an loose out on lower down torque.

My point is if your fitting a std b18cr why fit a 3" intake pipe when the std intake system is plenty suficient.
__________________

GOOGLE OR SEARCH BUTTON IS USUALY MUCH FASTER THAN CREATING A THREAD
My 92 EG6 SiR II and Pulsar GTiR http://www.ek9.org/forum/members-rid...tml#post503996
KieranEG6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
B20_R
EK9.org Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 63
B20_R is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Intake Pipe Size

3" is fine even for 2.0 setups.
__________________
2.0 B18C EDM ITR DC2
B20_R is offline   Reply With Quote
.
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dc2 intake pipe southern__sun Air Intake / Exhaust 0 01-27-2010 08:58 PM
Skunk2 Intake - What size throttle body? Paul W Engine 1 10-14-2009 03:51 AM
Samco Intake Pipe JKK Air Intake / Exhaust 2 02-02-2009 10:17 AM
Replacement intake pipe for B18 Subby Air Intake / Exhaust 7 11-03-2008 03:07 PM
Decat Pipe Size - Is 2" Pipe Bore To Small For EK9? VTI_EG_DAN Air Intake / Exhaust 30 06-21-2008 05:23 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.