Aftermarket ecu installed on my 1999 EK9 Civic

rvm

admin
Staff member
Car(s)
EK9/Civic
Well i decided to install an aftermarket ecu (phearable.net) to my EK9 honda civic type r .

Now i have, a better base map, vtec speed limit removed, and the check engine light as a shift light hehehe.

Well i installed this ecu without any problems, i just plugged in the conversion arness (OBD2B > OBD1), started and engine, and everything was ok.

Just to let you know that the motor is stock, i only have a comptech race exaust.

I will try to test the ecu tomorrow at the 1/8 mile, since in my country we dont have any dynos :mad:

Here are some pictures of my ecu installed on my car, sorry for the quality but i took them from my cell phone.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is a video, of how the vtec kicks in without the car moving hhehehe :eek: redline at 9000 RPM.

[youtube]vFkV2GzK33c[/youtube]

Attachments

• $DSC00054.JPG
    $DSC00054.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,252
  • $DSC00060.JPG
    $DSC00060.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,592
  • $DSC00057.JPG
    $DSC00057.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,704
how does the butt dyno like it? were you flooring it on that vid of the revving? i'll try and get a vid of mine revving (with 8lb flywheel and n1 pulley). i have a phearble.net ecu waiting for me at home, cant wait to try it when i get back to california.

blinx9900 said:
how does the butt dyno like it? were you flooring it on that vid of the revving? i'll try and get a vid of mine revving (with 8lb flywheel and n1 pulley). i have a phearble.net ecu waiting for me at home, cant wait to try it when i get back to california.

butt dyno lol! well i hear the engine sound different, i dont know why, i think i will get better results at the track! :eek:

rvm said:
butt dyno lol! well i hear the engine sound different, i dont know why, i think i will get better results at the track! :eek:

but how does it feel so far? have you driven it yet? there is supposed to be a noticeably improvement in mid range power which wont really show up on the track because you'll be between 6400-9000 thats why im asking.

blinx9900 said:
but how does it feel so far? have you driven it yet? there is supposed to be a noticeably improvement in mid range power which wont really show up on the track because you'll be between 6400-9000 thats why im asking.

Nope! haven't driven yet! :mad: tomorrow i will hehehe :ek9:

Went to the track today.

I'm very happy with the results, i was able to shave up 0.300 on the 1/8 time with this ecu, i'm hoping to do a better time at the 1/4 mile track, since its at 150 ft above sea level, the 1/8 mile i went today its about 3300ft above sea level lol.

I lost against modified ITR :( damn it i need to be 1800 cc hehehe, well i had interior but all the ITR didn't have seats, or any other interior, they also had carbon fiber hood + trunk.

When i was going to the track, i found a lancer evolution 3 on the road, i beat the lancer evo on the corners, i was able to pass him! lol! the guy was very mad and my girlfriend almost had a heart attack! hahaha

Thanks to phearable.net john vega for the ecu. totally recommended. :)

I forgot to mention that with this ecu, fuel consumption was increased!

rvm said:
I forgot to mention that with this ecu, fuel consumption was increased!

when you drive hard? or under normal driving conditions also?

blinx9900 said:
when you drive hard? or under normal driving conditions also?

Both, i drove like 70 km yesterday and i used like 3 gallons of fuel :eek:

rvm said:
Both, i drove like 70 km yesterday and i used like 3 gallons of fuel :eek:

thats funny :) but you know more fuel = more power!! (i know its not that simple but in this case it is tuned that way for a reason.)

blinx9900 said:
thats funny :) but you know more fuel = more power!! (i know its not that simple but in this case it is tuned that way for a reason.)

yeah, i don't care really, i have the stock ecu, on the car also, i just switch cables :cool:

blinx9900 said:

Whats your civic like without power steering ''dousnt N1 pulley that delete the power steering option? Does the pulley make a noticeable difference ?

id like to know if n1 makes a noticeable enough diff to remove ps, how did ya solve the problem of lubricating the steering rack?

I have a friend with an ek9 with a n1 pulley, he felt a better engine spool up, and the lack of power steering didn't affect that much the handling, the steering wheel was just a little bit harder, the car was a race only car. No daily drive. :cool:

N1 pulley is a nice upgrade for racing cars, using it on the street would be a torture, the steering effort is really high, it is factory balanced for a 1.6 engine, there have been many reports even from Mr. Spoon himself, of failures on 1.8 and 2.0 engines using the N1 pulley, so be careful if you plan on using one on higher displacement engines.

ok i will try to address everybodies quesions on my N1 pulley.

- i love it, it was installed with an 8lb flywheel so its hard to say which part makes the biggest difference, but my engine revs up extremely fast (i'll try and post a video).

-yes it removes AC and PS, my car is on R compoud tires, it is hard to steer sometimes and there is a little more feedback throught the wheel, i like that, im a strong guy but parallell parking is the hardest without the PS but its ok with me. keep in mind though i drive this car on the street and track it is NOT my everyday car.

-i had no issues with lubricating the steering rack as mine is actually an EJ6 civic that was converted to an ek9(engine/tranny etc) from the factory it came without power steering.

-regarding the comments of Mr. Spoon about failures on 1.8 and 2.0 engines using the N1 pulley, i agree completely! this pulley has no dampner on it (the factory one with ac and ps does) and was designed for the b16b which is a short stroke engine that has been fully balanced and thus has minimal crank/engine vibration. 1.8 and 2.0 engines have A LOT more crank/engine vibration so i would NOT recomend the n1 pulley due to its lack of a dampner for anything except a b16b. keep in mind its is not that the engines are bigger that increase there vibration it is the stroke.

-one thing to keep in mind, if revs increase faster they also will decrease faster, meaning between shifts your revs will drop faster and you may fall out of vtec if you dont shift perfectly, i believe this (N1 pulley+lite weight flywheel) would work much nicer with a b16b that had cams and a higher red line atleast 9000 that would really reduce the chance of falling out of vtec.

The Pherable ECU's are bullshit! I had one for my JDM ITR with a few mods, and after installing it in the car it became more sluggish. I began to smoke from over fueling and it keep throwing check engine lights. I did not see any increase in the 1/4 mile at all, because the car actually ran .2 slower. When I called John and said I don't see the difference here is what he said, "You might not be able to feel the 2-5 extra horsepower, but it is there", what a load of crock. I would not advise anyone to purchase those ECU's, buy a socketed ECU and a GENUINE Hondata s100http://www.statracing.com/buy/hondata.asp

Has anybody else had any bad experiences with the Pherable ecu's?

Back