Whats the best headunit/speakers - EK9 Facelift!

benzai

Moderator/Irish Rep
Hey guys,

So I'm getting my facelift model in the next few weeks and I am planning on doing a very subtle but good sound system. Looking for idea's for a headunit and upgraded speakers?

Anyone have a Double Din Screen/DVD player?

How do ya find them?

What speakers will fit well?

i think OE rear speakers are 6x9!!?

Umm i can recommend Focal speakers, these speakers are just amazing sound quality, tad pricey though

Okay so try and get some Focal 6x9 speakers.

Anyone else know anything?

I have a £300 set of focal components that have been sitting in my cuboard for 3 years unused. Hopefully gunna try and get them in when dunc sorts my 9 out. Still need to buy an amp tho

yeh my mate told me the speakers in the top of the boot are 6x9 s so replace the with some good quality ones

front at 5.5" rear are 6x9 the best speakers AND head unit currently being made in my opinion are the new Pioneer Reference Series, excellent stuff and reasonably priced, even better thant he Focal imo...

good head unit, set of front componants and a good amp to drive them is all you need, subs and that just add more weight. Don`t need to spend alot of money on componants to get a good sound. Good set of infinity or pioneer will do the job nicely.

Okay cheers guys, I'll have a look into it and let ye know :D

I fitted myself an Alpine IVA-W200-RI just recently as I've always liked Alpine headunits and even though I had a top spec single DIN unit from my last car I wanted to fit I thought it was such a shame to waste that lovely Double DIN openeing in the dash.

I think having a monitor in there adds a real nice touch to the interior with the added bonus you can stick a DVD on if you ever fancy it!!

Also went for a top of the range set of Infinity components, the kappa perfect 6.1's as again, I've always rated their speakers. Although it did take a bit of cutting to get them to fit, so maybe worth goin for a slightly small er speaker size (5.5" rather than 6.5")

Fitted a small 2 channel Infinity amp hidden under the passenger seat and it really is a beautiful set up. Plenty enough bass so you have no need or desire for heavy amps & subs, and real sweet clarity of sound. Not sure what kind of music you like but I've noticed that the infinity's work better with higher pitched vocals than anythin else, but man, do they sound good.

Anyways, I've attached a pic of the head unit, but will get some pics of it installed in the dash this weekend. And just incase you wanted some rough prices for a similar spec:

W200-RI £400
Kappa Perfect 6.1's £200
7251 2ch Amp £100

Not cheap, but IMO, real good quality kit.. Hope that helps some mate, keep an eye out for the pics this weekend:nice:

and a quick edit, I dont even have the rears pushin any sound, I've never rated 6x9" as a good speaker. Get some good components and you wont need em!!

Attachments

• $b_ivaw200ri.jpg
    $b_ivaw200ri.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 497
Wow thanks a million for all the feedback, I think the general consensis is for the Pioneer set up. I'll price some headunits and speakers and see what I can do.

Wow thanks a million for all the feedback, I think the general consensis is for the Pioneer set up. I'll price some headunits and speakers and see what I can do.

Depending on your budget!

What do you guys think about BOSS speakers ?

Budget should be okay to get some decent gear.

I heard the Boss stuff were very good.

Pioneer speakers are good, especially those Yellow carbon ones.

But theres been a comparison of over 20 6x9 speakers in 2007 and Soundstream came out #1 beating pioneer, focal, alpine, etc etc etc.

I used to have JVC KD AVX33 installed on the EK9, but moved it to the DC5R. Bought a 2nd one for DC2R.

I personally think JVC has the best stylish n smooth designs.

Check out their new decks

attachment.php

Attachments

• $kdavx33.jpg
    $kdavx33.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 913
I think I have my Headunit picked out its the Pioneer Avic D3, have a look and see what you think.

I have these vibe front speakers they need a 40watt minimum input. I was looking at headunit's and alpine seem to provoid high powered unit's could someone recommend a good alpine or something similar with good output and sound quality

I have these vibe front speakers they need a 40watt minimum input. I was looking at headunit's and alpine seem to provoid high powered unit's could someone recommend a good alpine or something similar with good output and sound quality

single DIN or double DIN?

Back