Thinking of getting a Civic ej9

Nikster199

Hi I'm new to the forum
I need some advice, I'm thinking of getting a 1.4 ej9 as my first car, I know a fair amount about cars as I'm currently studying motor mechanics at college but are their any common faults I should look for with them?

they're a good car :) try get a stock as possible can be leaky so check dampness

Thanks for the reply most of the ones I've been looking at on ebay and auto trader and stock, which I prefer so I don't have to work around someone else's mods. Where abouts should I check for dampness? Around sunroof I've read about anywhere else?

places for checking dampness are sunroof, boot and the area around your wing mirrors :)

EJ9 is a really good base to start off from, definitely a lot of fun!

places for checking dampness are sunroof, boot and the area around your wing mirrors :)

EJ9 is a really good base to start off from, definitely a lot of fun!

Okay thanks, I wanted an ek but insurance will be way too high, so I'm planning on doing a facelift on the ej9 instead

Rust at rear arches, check if power windows still work. The loom tends to snap causing a power window not to work. These are AFAIK the two real and only weak points of the 6th gen. If 1 windows is going down slower than the other it might be a sign of the loom failing. My passengerside windows always was slower. Untill the loom snapped. Fixed it and now my passanger side windows is just as fast as drivers side!

as said above really, check for of course no squeaking from front end as ball joints can go on them easy, like most civics and of course the rust round the rear arches.

Great little cars though!

Rust at rear arches, check if power windows still work. The loom tends to snap causing a power window not to work. These are AFAIK the two real and only weak points of the 6th gen. If 1 windows is going down slower than the other it might be a sign of the loom failing. My passengerside windows always was slower. Untill the loom snapped. Fixed it and now my passanger side windows is just as fast as drivers side!

Yeah I read about the windows slowing down, thanks for the help

as said above really, check for of course no squeaking from front end as ball joints can go on them easy, like most civics and of course the rust round the rear arches.

Great little cars though!

Okay and if the rear arches were only slightly rusty would it be a easy fix?? I know someone with a garage and tools I can use so I can do most of the work myself

Okay and if the rear arches were only slightly rusty would it be a easy fix?? I know someone with a garage and tools I can use so I can do most of the work myself

Depends on how far the rust goes, it's just easier to try and pick one up without rust, for the price they go and how many of them are kicking about, rust free (as far as the rear arches etc) are fairly easy to come by.

Picked mine up for £730 on 68k miles and no rust so you can really pick up a bargain :)

Hope you find a great example! :nice:

Depends on how far the rust goes, it's just easier to try and pick one up without rust, for the price they go and how many of them are kicking about, rust free (as far as the rear arches etc) are fairly easy to come by.

Picked mine up for £730 on 68k miles and no rust so you can really pick up a bargain :)

Hope you find a great example! :nice:

Yeah they are quite cheap only reason I asked was cause I saw one that was nice and clean in and out but had a bit of rust coming thru on one of the rear arches.

Okay so another thing, I have a strong hatred towards drum brakes and would like to do a rear disk conversion ASAP, I've seen a few different ways some people get the whole rear setup of other cars but is there a easier way to do it and I would like to keep it 4x100 pcd if possible

Thanks

Buy a VTI, far better base to start from. has disc brakes all round and a rear ARB as standard.

Back