Pistons/Rods

Rybean

Donator
Donator
Hey guys, I've been pondering. Getting sucked into the never ending process of a build/money pit.

I know some of you may shoot me down for this but hear me out.

I've been thinking over whether or not to do a simple pistons and rods job in the b16 whilst I'm in the position to do so. The question is with my low mileage engine (50k) I want to fit the setup in situ by taking the sump off which it already will be and working under the car.

My process would be to check the bores are in spec first before going down the route, the guys at my local shop will come down with a micrometre and check it for me. Hone the cylinder walls and check crank journals etc properly before assembly, I'm pretty confident the engine is mint. I was looking at 81mm CP/Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods with std size ACL bearings. Run a lower comp of 9:0:1 or 9:8 and a bearings tolerance of .018 - .020 checked with plasti gauge and gap the rings to spec.

Justin Shane on youtube seems to of had great results with doing this aslong as the engine was un-molested and original to start with.

I was just thinking it would be nice not to worry about my chicken leg rods everyday and instead of building a b18 in the future I could do something now whilst in this position and run this setup for longer.

I'm taking mine out.
Way I see it is in situ makes the whole job harder, for the sake of taking it out and doing it properly.
I'm going 9.8-1 in mine but I'll only be pushing 300hp max.

Also cleaning it up after the work has been done, then you've got lack of light aswell.
Really not that great an idea imo.
Basically stop being lazy and don't lose the faith, it will happen for you soon enough. Do it properly the first time like I didn't lol

If you come across any tips/tricks while your doing the job send me a pm, I'll take any help I can get.

All that effort to leave the block hanging in the car?
Might as well get it out and get it on the bench, much easier to work on.

Hi Buddy

I use Eagle rods and Wiseco pistons, they are very nice bits of kit, the wiseco pistons come with a break in layer painted on them, but be careful as the pistons have a larger skirt and can hit the oil squirters, I had to remove my squirters and have the holes blocked off on my B18C.

Hi Buddy

I use Eagle rods and Wiseco pistons, they are very nice bits of kit, the wiseco pistons come with a break in layer painted on them, but be careful as the pistons have a larger skirt and can hit the oil squirters, I had to remove my squirters and have the holes blocked off on my B18C.

Glad you said this, was going to go with the wiseco pistons for mine. I'd rather keep the squirters

I'd always go over size pistons to take any doubt of the state of the cylinders. It doesn't cost too much!

On the B16 you can keep them.

I'm going to stoke my b16b to 1.8 using the b18 crankshaft.
Reason being I can't get b16b forged rods so stroking is the next best option for me.

I'd always go over size pistons to take any doubt of the state of the cylinders. It doesn't cost too much!

This! And you might be in luck my b18c bottom end might be up for grabs,all 1500 miles old

I'm going to stoke my b16b to 1.8 using the b18 crankshaft.
Reason being I can't get b16b forged rods so stroking is the next best option for me.

stroked my b16b was all good after, i used oversized b16b pistons alng with b18 cranks/rods

I'm forging and going lower compression(turbocharged) only because I melted a b16b piston already.

Build it properly the first time mate or ull regret it. If your going for aftermarket pistons/rods my bottom end is a great option for you or if your staying oem I'd def go 0.5 of an overbore as then there's no headscratching on whether it'll be ok.

Is your bottom end not high compression? I know I can run high compression with a turbocharger but is a pain in the arse keeping detonation at bay. Esp on a track car like mine that will see full throttle in 5th for long periods.
I haven't bought anything yet and still planning it all out but I'm looking to go with oversize pistons just to be sure on the bores, I've got bits of melted piston stuck to mine ATM lol

Lots of options available. Want to keep it as simple as possible and not go ott with it. Just a simple piston tod job. I'm going to ring around some reputable builders and see what they say if I were to drop it all off with the parts and have them assemble it all. Don't want to mess too much as Honda are really good from factory with their tolerances etc

Is your bottom end not high compression? I know I can run high compression with a turbocharger but is a pain in the arse keeping detonation at bay. Esp on a track car like mine that will see full throttle in 5th for long periods.
I haven't bought anything yet and still planning it all out but I'm looking to go with oversize pistons just to be sure on the bores, I've got bits of melted piston stuck to mine ATM lol

Oops didn't read that bit lol

Right looking into it and budgetting for my entire build with whats left. I may be able to stretch to a piston rod job, once my local shop gets back to me.

Next question I need some info or experience with the following, I've read a little and seems to be good.

Nippon low compression Pistons and Scat Rods have been tempting me for a good starter setup without going out and spending £800 on some forged pistons and rods. Opinions?

Right looking into it and budgetting for my entire build with whats left. I may be able to stretch to a piston rod job, once my local shop gets back to me.

Next question I need some info or experience with the following, I've read a little and seems to be good.

Nippon low compression Pistons and Scat Rods have been tempting me for a good starter setup without going out and spending £800 on some forged pistons and rods. Opinions?

http://realstreetperformance.com/Sh...-Pistons-K1-H-Beam-Rods-Combo-Honda-B16A.html

These would be better choice in my opinion stick a block guard in there too & bottom end good for up to 500 bhp

Just looked into the Nippon seem to have some good reviews up to you weigh up what's worth what to help make your decision

Last edited:
Back