B16 engine trouble

civic123

HI all I have a b16a which has being parked up all winter, I started it the other day and let it warm up after about 10-15 mins it started pushing the coolant from the rad into the expansion bottle :angry2:. If it gets a rev at all it fills the bottle faster and overflows scalding water. Temp gauge is perfect. Also when its not pushing coolant into the expansion bottle is blowing steam at pressure through the pipe into the bottle. Everything was 100 percent with the engine before parking it..My thoughts first was head gasket or possible cracked liner due to how aggressive the problem is. I am going to do a pressure test on the coolant system this week before i pull the head off but would appreciate if anyone can shed light on the problems from experience etc
Thanks

@tama666 Cant be rad cap because even if the cap is off before the engine heats up it will start shooting water out aggressively..

Yep, i'd say your rad cap might be stuck open / the rubber seal might be perished. Take it off and have a look if you can see anything odd.

EDIT: Just read your latest post, check hoses, you sure nothing is blocked? Is it "shooting" water out even when it's cold? That would suggest there is blockage somewhere maybe?

Last edited:
@oifovo rad doesn't seem to be blocked nor does the pipes and had the thermostat out and it opens and closed perfect..thought maybe a severe airlock so spent ages bleeding it using the bleed screw on the back of the engine...at first got a right bit of air outta it but air pockets just kept appearing and wouldn't stop...I have changed a lot of B-series engines and not once used this bleed screw and never had any problem

Then keep the old rad cap, and replace the entire engine! :p

Why do these gremlins attack only while the car is put away for long periods of time? Strange, right?!?

Ok so is it possible your head gasket is dead?

Last edited:
Then keep the old rad cap, and replace the entire engine! :p

Why do these gremlins attack only while the car is put away for long periods of time? Strange, right?!?

Ok so is it possible your head gasket is dead?

It is very strange that this is only happening now...The car was converted last year and only 200 miles where done but it past a NCT (MOT) with no problems and was showing none of the symptoms like it is now..I suspect the head gasket is dead but have to do a cylinder leak down test and a sniff test first...Just looking for other peoples input first

Where was the car located?
Did you have coolant in the system or just water?
Have you checked the oil for water/coolant or is the coolant dirty?

Where was the car located?
Did you have coolant in the system or just water?
Have you checked the oil for water/coolant or is the coolant dirty?

The car was stored in a dry insulated shed there was coolant but i drained it since i changed the rad...oil is perfect no coolant whatsoever in it and coolant is clean as well...

How does one do this? My car putting out white smoke and it might eliminate the head

You need a specific tool that basically looks like a turkey baster and it has a blue chemical in it..you put it in your expansion bottle and basically "sniff" it and if theres combustion gases there the chemical turns yellow or green..its inexpensive to buy just go into a motor factors and ask for a block tester....heres a video of one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCPMW84_zAc

Back