Cams and stuff..

DBMatt

K20 EK9 - VTEC Addict
I'm going for some Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 1 cams for my build as I want nothing too extreme as my EK9 is used mostly as a road car.

I wrote to Skunk2 asking about valve train etc. as I think I'll be using Pro series springs & retainers. Have been recommended Supertech but have read about their valve train failing a few times which I don't want... Match cams to valve train I say.

Anyway - the guy at Skunk2 asked about my LMA (lost motion assembly) saying that if I have the old style "bullet" type, I will have to buy S2 LMA for the springs to fit.

So my question is - does my B16B have these "old style bullet" LMA or not? Do I need to change it for Pro springs & retainers?

Mine where changed when it was built to the spring type LMA.

Skunk2 springs and retainers suit there camshafts so I am not going to say don't get them but we have used ST springs and retainers many times with Pro 1's and no issues.

Yes you will have the older type LMA's. It is good idea to upgrade to the new spring type but get Honda OEM LMA's not Skunk2 which have had reports of failing.

Here is some Skunk2 LMA's which were removed from a engine that had excessive ticking noise from head, as you can see one of the LMA's had started to collapse.

Back