Engine light on but no CEL flash

civicx3

Drop a gear & disappear!
Ive been having the same problem for the past few months and cant find out what it is and I don't want to buy parts that might make no difference.

My 1993 eg6 check engine light comes on when at about 4-5000 revs, it used to come on when in vtec only but now comes on out of vtec. The worst part is whenever I jump the CEL plug to try and give me a code nothing happens, the check engine light just stays on until I pull the paperclip out the plug then it goes off

Once every few weeks the light wont come on at all, I can boot it in vtec and still no light, but 9 times out of 10 it will come on

Is there anything on these cars that wouldn't show a code but still cause the light to come on??

My only guesses are 02 sensor or airflow sensor even though they should show a code, could it be something else like a faulty ecu??

Thanks

Are you trying to check the code when the car is running? or when the ignition is switched on?

with the ignition on

whenever the code appears i turn the car off, jump the plug and turn the key to ignition but dont start it

cheers

been surfing the net for a while and cant find anything like the problem im having but keep having wild guesses at what it might be

could it be oil pressure? my cam seal is slightly leaking, or could the oil pump be dying?

vtec solenoid?

valve adjustment needed? i think its long overdue!

:confused:

have you tried having the codes read by a garage with a obd reader? or leaving the battery disconnected over night to let the ECU to clear all CEL codes?

have you tried having the codes read by a garage with a obd reader? or leaving the battery disconnected over night to let the ECU to clear all CEL codes?

na haven't tried a garage, where would they hook it up to on a eg? same place you jump the plug to make it flash?

will give the battery trick a try, cheers

anyone got any ideas..? starting to pull my hair out over this now!

Could it be the timing has gone out slightly?

the engine feel's so slow now compared to what it used to

im still thinking it could be 02 sensor but the dam check light wont flash so cant be sure

:nice:

Did you ever figure out what this was as my ek9 is doing the same. havnt started it in a few weeks. Started it today and cel is on but when I jump the connector it doesn't give any code. It seems to be ticking over a bit rough too

Back