The importance of distributor timing

Yes you do need to bridge the service connector. The ecu is constantly applying changes to the ignition timing at idle, it's part of the idle strategy to maintain a smooth idle. When you bridge the connector you disable this.

The correction made by the ECU is like 0.5 / 0.25 degrees when idling. I dont think you can even be that precise when adjusting the timing with the light.

That's why i said it wasnt needed to jump the connector on OBD1

The correction made by the ECU is like 0.5 / 0.25 degrees when idling. I dont think you can even be that precise when adjusting the timing with the light.

That's why i said it wasnt needed to jump the connector on OBD1

Incorrect, it's limitation is +/- 5 degree's. Just bridge the connector and you don't have to worry about any ignition correction going on.

Great post Vtec6000. Does the ecu not retard the ignition automatically if it detects knock ?

Moray

if i set timing bridging the connector and using oem ecu then changing to a chipped ecu that will affect or even change base timing ?

if i set timing bridging the connector and using oem ecu then changing to a chipped ecu that will affect or even change base timing ?

If you car is been tuned on a chipped obd1 ecu the timing should be sync'd by your tuner.

If you car is been tuned on a chipped obd1 ecu the timing should be sync'd by your tuner.

it's a p28 tuned on my car so if i check timing with the chipped ecu timing would be different than 16dec that i set it using my oem ecu.

it's a p28 tuned on my car so if i check timing with the chipped ecu timing would be different than 16dec that i set it using my oem ecu.

No not if timing was sync'd with the P28 also, then they should be the same.

Same process pretty much for a SOHC engine but the ignition timing you set it to can differ. On some D series engines the stock ECU locks the timing at 12 degrees when you bridge the service connector.

Is the base timing the same on B18C? From memory I think it's 16 +/- 1 deg? Is there a preferred exact figure?

Is the wire that needs jumping in the car or part of the engine loom?

I'm just wondering where I'll find it as my motor is in a kit car...

Does anyone know if ignition timing being out can affect vtec. My cars jumping out of vtec and has a misfire im guessing the timing is off causing the misfire sometimes it limits my revs to round about 7k

New build B16A
My distributor needs to be advanced fully to get 16deg.
Engine timing checked.
Hondata s300 using set timing, also used normal method and bridge service port still same??

I have skunk2 tuner cams would this be causing it?

Are your leads in the right position on the cap?
Cam timing dialed in with vernier pulleys correctly?

Back