chipped P30:no vtec with B18C, vtec ok with B16A. Any guess?

pateras_vtec

I got a chipped P30 in order to use it for a remap later on. Plugged it in the jumper and went out for a drive. I noticed 2 things: 1st. no vtec engagement, 2nd. engine seemed to run out of a/f mixture around 7800rpms. 2nd seems reasonable since a B16A ecu would run lean in a B18C. Took the ecu a week ago and plug it to my friend`s eg6 to double check it and worked like a charm. vtec engaged normal, rev limiter as well. I should also mention that i wasn`t testing it full throttle with the teg engine but more than half way down-which i know is enough for vtec to kick in. Could the jumper be defective? i noticed looking at the jumper on the side that plugs into the ecu that some pins where missing though ecu pins fit there. At the time i wanted to get it off rywire but if i remember correctly, their warehouse was broken into and delivery could not be estimated, so i bought another one. i`ll get some pictures up from the ecu and jumper if will help.

You need to do the jumper because the vtec green valve in the b18c6 engine is diferent.
Let me arrive home I will send you a picture.

Yes, MIL is on in both cars. Thing is i left the ecu back in Athens and my mate is afraid of jumpering and now i`ll have to wait for him to go to HONDA and read the error. Tsuchinoko my engine isn`t a EUDM, it`s a JDM, but will appreciate the photo.

I think this might be causing the check light to go on! I remember looking at the back of the ecu and one end of the jumper was hanging.right side of the wire as we look at it is welded on the 3rd pin?

My sister in law came to visit and asked her to bring the ecu and the jumper along, but only brought the ecu:angry2: I opened to check out the jumper Tsuchinoko said and that jumper hasn`t been done. there are a bunch of jumpers on the other side of the board where i noticed one end of them is on air. If anyone sees what`s wrong and how can it be fixed please advise. Until i go to Athens next week to watch AC/DC:bow: and find out what CEL code it reads.

Attachments

• $DSC05206.jpg
    $DSC05206.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 2,050
  • $DSC05209.jpg
    $DSC05209.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 1,221
im very curious why you have so many jumpers going all over. I socket A LOT of the square ecus for hondata. and be it a socket, males pins or a factory chip thats in the 27256 then you NEED the 74373 latch in place. I dont know if the jumpers are supposed to be a work-around or maybe the chip installed burned some of the tracks since theyre more delicate on the square ecus. ? Just really strange to see all those jumpers

im very curious why you have so many jumpers going all over. I socket A LOT of the square ecus for hondata. and be it a socket, males pins or a factory chip thats in the 27256 then you NEED the 74373 latch in place. I dont know if the jumpers are supposed to be a work-around or maybe the chip installed burned some of the tracks since theyre more delicate on the square ecus. ? Just really strange to see all those jumpers

Don`t know what`s going on really. I just got it this way. have you any clue where the grey jumper should be welded?

YOu shouldnt need those jumpers! but in the space there should be a latch IC (SMD) and you need to check j4 is removed and moved to j1.

j1 is on the back of the ecu and j4 is on the front they are labelled. just need to look carefully dude. :nice:

I checked the error code and is 22=vtec pressure valve. what might be causing this?

check if the b16a has a pressure switch (green connector) on the side of the vtec-solenoid.. im guessng it has. and the b18c is a Jdm motor and has-not. The P30 you have will be looking for the closed circuit from the vtec pressure switch before engaging vtec. so bridge ecu connectors A4 & D6 then you wont have a problem with it after resetting the ecu to clear the code.Splice them :nice: Simple fix.

check if the b16a has a pressure switch (green connector) on the side of the vtec-solenoid.. im guessng it has. and the b18c is a Jdm motor and has-not. The P30 you have will be looking for the closed circuit from the vtec pressure switch before engaging vtec. so bridge ecu connectors A4 & D6 then you wont have a problem with it after resetting the ecu to clear the code.Splice them :nice: Simple fix.

2 replies in the same day in different forums! Thanks for verifying what i was tolled.

Attachments

• $mmm.JPG
    $mmm.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,098
Update. Did as EK9turbo said, and all works perfect! VTEC engages properly and revs all the way to limiter.

Back