tire size?

NasTHatch

what is a better tire for daily use on the road and still good for the track?

i currently have 225 50R 15's but i see that a lot of the videos that show CTR's racing use 195's, Is there a reason they do not use a wider tire on the track? can someone please fill me in and give me an opinion on how wide is too wide? :angry2:

i currently have 225 50R 15's but i see that a lot of the videos that show CTR's racing use 195's, Is there a reason they do not use a wider tire on the track? can someone please fill me in and give me an opinion on how wide is too wide? :angry2:

They use that size because the ek9 came with that tire size from the honda factory :nice:

I prefer to use 205 / 50 / 15, because I have good grip and a good price, it all depends for what you want the car, I think a 225 tire will help you in drag races :D

what kind of track? road race or drag? I think there are A LOT more options for 195/50/15 then there are for 225/50/15...

what kind of track? road race or drag? I think there are A LOT more options for 195/50/15 then there are for 225/50/15...

i use my car for daily driving and every once in a while street racing(never have traction issues) and there is a circuit course and a drag strip not to far from me that i go to also

The video's with ek9s running 195/55-15's are when they are either stock or when it was a long time ago before the higher powered EK9's were built. No japanese tuner EK9 builds use that tire size anymore, at least not for car's built for sheer speed like time attack.

Bigger tire's are more expensive and they weigh more, that's one reason some don't use them.

I think for the best cornering response, your tires are too wide for your rims. Ideally you want a 7.5 or 8" wide wheel for 225's, I've never seen someone use 6" wide wheels with those tires. I don't know if the kuhmo's you have are small 225's or not, as some tire's are big for their listed size and some are not.

But as far as tires and performance, the wider the better. If you got some wider wheels to accommodate the tires, I would recommend 225/45/15's if you still want to use 225's. It really matters if your priority is straight line speed or cornering feel and response, because a taller 225/50 sidewall does help with your launches.

a good all around tire size is gonna be something like 205/50/15 RT615's, not the best at RR, not the best at drag but pretty damn good for both at a reasonable price and they have decent life...

i use my car for daily driving and every once in a while street racing(never have traction issues) and there is a circuit course and a drag strip not to far from me that i go to also

Refer to blinx post and recommendation.

Back