Brads 96spec itr

bradcoup

Hi everyone,

I think I have been browsing this forum since early 2009 so I think its time I got involved and showed everyone what I am working on (plus its christmas and i need to escape). I have condensed this down a bit and is now in pretty bad shape after my engine failed but it will soon be back on he road and better than ever.

It started off as a relatively standard super clean 96spec which couldn't have been better as a base to start a project with. It was a great car then and in retrospect I probably shouldn't have started tinkering, but I couldnt help myself! half the joy for me is the research, looking for parts even before I start putting it together or driving it.

anyway here she was a week after purchase, re-undersealed with some nice new coil overs, new steering wheel and some other bits
SDC11504.jpg

SDC11509.jpg

SDC11513.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

ffc01bab.jpg

I was adamant on getting a spoon lip to make it look more aggressive up front and a duct to channel to my mugen induction. So instead of leaving it bare I had the lip sprayed to keep it still looking clean

edit2.jpg

edit1.jpg

Next up was to get rid of the sprint wheels in favour of some nice light and slightly wider jdm wheels. I managed to find some cheap 15x7 classic TE37's, not my first choice (NT03's one day) but they suit the teg well in the right width and no worry's fitment so it was a no brainer! Also to make the most out of the breathing mods I had i.e mugen air box, mugen exhaust with true 2 1/2' center section, decat and dc sports manifold I had the ecu remaped by Romain on EcTune.

edit7.jpg

edit5copy.jpg

edit9.jpg

edit6.jpg

By this time winter was approaching and the teg came off the road, after all the time getting it to its best the last thing I wanted to do was slowly kill it though winter. So into hibernation it went until spring returned. This also gave me the chance to fully update the braking system as it was crap to say the least, any of you with a 96spec teg will know!

edit11.jpg

edit12.jpg

I also removed the crap abs system and made my own new hard lines, got some new hoses and flushed the system, new oil, gearbox oil, plugs and filters. As well as giving everything a good clean.

IMG_3389.jpg

It was also time for a wheel re-furb so sent the wheels off to Mr Spooner on the itr forum. He did a grand job as always in Volk Bronze. They came out more golden but look awesome against the champ white paint

IMG_3435.jpg

Finally spring came and she came out of hibernation. With new AD08's, fully serviced, full geo tracking, f7 lca's, whitleine arb, beaks brace as well as the new willwoods I was like a kid at christmas. The car was completely transformed, everything complemented each other completely. It was tight and was far from the mellow car from which it started. I also found an incredibly rear azect rear lip and gurney flap which finished the back of the car.

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

Even though this was a great car I couldn't resist tweaking further, so when i saw Stevens eke being broken I swooped in and snapped up the head & cams.

Race Developments Ported & gasflowed head
0.12mm head skim
ferrea beehive springs
Ferrea titanium retainers
supertech valve guides
viton stem seals
Supertech valves
endyn keepers
Enydn Bumpstix cams
Toda cam gears

I was originally planning to build a complete new engine, but after chatting with a number of people including the manufactures they were confident that the cams would make good power on standard compression so off to Daz the car went for fitting and mapping.

alsong with a big pile of bits including new mounts, bigger tb which was to be matched to inlet, toda manifold

IMG_3901.jpg

I also treaded her to a new seat, to make the most from its transformation :)

IMG_3949.jpg

After it came back from Daz at endless it was a completely different car altogether. It was as smooth as silk, with progressional power right though the rev range. Combined with the brakes, tyres and geometry it was a complete all round car, a complete animal which I couldnt wait to get on track.

Stock B18CR Block
Ported & gasflowed head
0.12mm head skim before & additional reface by Endless
ferrea beehive springs
Ferrea titanium retainers
supertech valve guides
viton stem seals
Supertech valves
endyn keepers
Enydn Bumpstix cams - Which look very similar to Toda B's
Toda cam gears
Arp headbolt
Tegiwa Carbon CAI
PLM Decat
Mugen twinloop with custom 2 1/2 B-pipe
Act lightened flywheel / act stage1 clutch
PLM Toda copy manifold
Magnecor leads
P72 remapped with Neptune
68mm Blox tb, port matched inlet

The block also has evidence of a rebuild in its life apparently, as the block has been decked but other than that all looks standard

BTEC.jpg

218.7 BHP @ 9,055rpm
127.7 LBFT @ 8,438 rpm

But all that was well wouldnt last forever, engine failure struck which leads us to present day!

12C7BF08-EB66-41D2-AD07-D67DBD2DFC8E-1986-00000209509A7CC5.jpg

one of the valve springs snapped which lead to a dropped valve :( I have an engineers report on the composition of the valve spring, and by the looks of things the fatigue failure was a result of a defect in the metal itself . I am still waiting to write a letter to ferrea but I dont hold much hope.

The block is recoverable and will be back together for this spring as a runaround before I have enough cash to go ahead with a new build so it will be back to its former glory eventually. But for now here are the last few shots I have of her waiting for a new heart.

edit5_zps9b8cd048.jpg

edit4-1_zps40dd1b2c.jpg

Thanks for looking & merry christmas

Brad

My god!! This car is epic an absolute credit to you.. The last pic is cool.. Think i will use it as my wallpaper for awhile! Made very good power with the head work but I would of thought the torque would of been higher.. Is the gurney flap plastic? Good fit? I got one and its plastic but its a brutal fit, really annoys me.

That car looks amazing, I like what you've done with it. I probably would have gone the same route. Shame on the valve. At least you can improve it even further now with more research!

My god!! This car is epic an absolute credit to you.. The last pic is cool.. Think i will use it as my wallpaper for awhile! Made very good power with the head work but I would of thought the torque would of been higher.. Is the gurney flap plastic? Good fit? I got one and its plastic but its a brutal fit, really annoys me.

Thanks a lot dude, it means a lot especally in its current state as it feels like a long time before its back together. I have a civic vti 5d run about, inspiring it is not lol:)

The torque, or lack of should I say is all down to the compression. If it had more I wouldn't have the huge Grand Canyon sized depression on the dyno graph which high lift cams create :) It was a worry but when driven it wasn't a problem.

The gurney flap was made by teishi on civiclife, is made from carbon and was a great fit, I'm sorry yours isn't so good! All bits like than be such a pain, the bodyshop had a lot of work to do on my front lip, they weren't impressed :)

That car is something else. What steering wheel that?

Cheers for the compliments, the wheel is a personal neo grinta 330mm from driftworks. It's nice but needs to be worn in properly, the tactile feel is important and when new although they look nice they feel crap. It's slowly getting better mind

Cracking looking car mate. Real shame about the spring! What do you think of the wilwoods? Have you tried other pads rather than Ds2500? Good excuse to go k20 now!!

Random valve spring failure, that sucks. It's never fun having to spend money on something that shouldn't have broke in the first place. Hopefully you'll get it up and going in the spring like you plan.

Teg looks great! Gutting about the spring snapping. I'd be happy with the power your engine was making! Hope it dosent take long to get sorted

Cheers for the comments again everyone, I'm sure the old b18cr with a few tweaks will keep me more than occupied this year. I treated myself to a new mfactory 4.9fd to it should liven things up a bit. Also the car is getting a full weld in cage as I intend to get it out in track this year as I have a daily.

Cracking looking car mate. Real shame about the spring! What do you think of the wilwoods? Have you tried other pads rather than Ds2500? Good excuse to go k20 now!!

The wilwoods have been great, the kit the Stewart 'freakyparts?' Sells is really well put together. I haven't managed to even slightly fade them yet, but track time will tell. I don't know what other pads are out there, but for the money ds2500 have always been my pad of choice and never let me down. I would love to do a k20 conversion, but they are still damn expensive!:)

Merry Christmas everyone

Brad

After 7 months of heartache she is finally back on the road!

After more problems such as a leaking rear crank, binding gear due to a problem with the mfactory pinion the guys at TGM got it all sorted for me! I had just about given up with problem after problem but I think its finally all sorted. There are some big updates coming soon but for the meantime Im just trying to sort the last few niggles. First things first is to weld a center silencer on the j's, ear bleeding is an understatement!

The new gearbox has completely transformed the car, it absolutely flys through the gears with the 4.9fd, i can only imagine a proper gear kit would be even better. I am now a complete convert, there is no point in chasing an n/a power output, gearing and chassis is the way forward! The kaaz diff is interesting :) I have never had a new out of the box clutch type lsd, they are pretty aggressive to say the least. It is a lot better now its slightly run in and has a bit more friction modifier in the mtf. But the shear grip at speed is incredible! As people say if you want to run a kaaz as a daily driver think again, every slow tight corner it sounds like the car is going to fall appart with the shear force of the clunking. I actually throught there was a problem when I first drove away form tgm :)

anyway enough of my ramblings, as it wasnt raining I thought id take a few pics. I hope you like.

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4314.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

thanks for looking and hope you like it. There are some more major updates within the next few weeks. But for the meantime, i just cant stop driving it, and cant wait to track it!

Brad

Best Dc2 I have ever seen!

That rear lip absolutely transforms the back of the car
Beautiful.

x2 looks fantastic

Do you know where to get another rear lip that you have?

Cheers

Back