brake fluid!

alan168

im doing my brake conversion next week, i was planning on using dot 4 but friend advised 5

plans are fast use and in time, maybe next year some track days!

Dot 5 is not always necessary, Silkolene Pro-race 2000 is also good.

ap formula fluid DOT 5.1 works a treat

you shoudl never use dot 5
dot 5.1 is ok,,

as haitch says you can get dot 4`s rated up to decent temperatures,,
just read teh fluid spec carefully and go from tehre, what do you intend to use your car for?

thanks for feedback!
will be fast road and hopefully some track days next year

castrol SRF is the best

full stop

bit dear though

expect to pay 70 to 80 euro for a bottle

Whats a good fluid for 99% road use and a couple of trackdays thrown in a year?

Got Castrol in mine at the moment. Have used the Silkolene stuff in previous cars - plenty good enough for fast road and trackdays.

Any DOT 4 fluid will do fine. Such as Amsoil DOT 4 or Motul RBF600. 5.1 fluid is a overkill for road users, as it these fluids cost more and more readily take on water than DOT 3 and 4. Not like your going to boil a good DOT 4 fluid anytime soon.

As olly EK9 said you should avoid silicone based DOT 5 fluid at all costs, it is not compatible with the OEM glycol based fluids.

After the switch to DOT 4 or 5.1, you should bleed the calipers after track sessions.

Stick to OEM fluid then or any good quality DOT 4 for 99% road use? I have a trackday in March, but dont want to be swapping out fluids!

Stick to OEM fluid then or any good quality DOT 4 for 99% road use? I have a trackday in March, but dont want to be swapping out fluids!

Yes, Motul RBF600, ATE Super Blue, or Amsoil series 600 fluid will do fine.

castrol SRF is the best

full stop

bit dear though

expect to pay 70 to 80 euro for a bottle

if ur using it all the time it'll wreck ur clutch master cylinder.

i'm using millers 300 plus and i find it great

Going to install my HEL braided lines soon, I was jsut gonna use HALFORDS own brand Clutch/Brake fluid..... should be fine for a road car right?
What does Honda use?

I use Motul RB600 dot 4 in mine, got some mental high boiling point!

Pedal feel is very consistent, never goes soft :)

Brakes and Fluid

Yes I fully realize this chart is nearly 3 years old now but specs on the listed fluids IIRC, haven't changed and if they have, it isn't some dramatic improvement.

FWIW, I use Ford Dot3 HD stuff. It can be found halfway down the list. I'm not sure if the guys in Europe can get the same (maybe even better?) from a Ford dealership. The downside of the Ford fluid is it should be flushed annually. But it's been solid for me on track days and I haven't had any problems on the street.

It's cheap too! But if working on your own car is not something you can/want to do - I advise getting the ATE stuff or Motul.

Back