My EK9 reving eratically

MARK ek9

Hello chaps

I'm a newbie so go easy.

I recently bought CTR as a write off. It had been fully repaired but has been revving eratically.
From cold it revs to 3000 rpm and then drops to 2000 rpm and then the revs will jump up and down from 1500-2000 rpm.
I found TPS sensor socket damaged and you could pull the socket with contact pins out. Whether the pins are making contact or not with the circuit board, It still runs erratically.
I am at the point of buying a TPS but first I need to know if the TPS is definitely the problem and second where I can get one from. :thanks:

More than likey the tps would be causing some trouble either way it needs to be replaced as it's broken and could easily short out. Did you check all vac lines leaving the intake manifold? There may be one not connected or damaged.

Your best bet is to change the tps sensor then. Onmi power sell them. Try a search on yahoo. You will need to set the voltage to WOT and clothed throttle.

Check at the TPS input at the ECU what voltages it is getting from the TPS at closed and wide open throttle, sure fire way of checking if that is indeed the problem

Google search should bring up how to do this, did for me before. Basically locate the TPS input wire to the ECU, check it with your multimeter with the ignition at second click but not started, that will give closed reading, then repeat but with someone holding the throttle wide open at the throttle body and take that reading also

Other things to check which could cause dodgy idle are

-Dirty IAC valve
-Coolant system not bled fully and radiator resevoir below minimum
-Vacuum leaks
-Dirty throttle body

I have topped up the coolant and ran the engine until all the air had come dissipated, is there another method to bleed the engine.

Also where is the IAC valve on the throttle body.

I have topped up the coolant and ran the engine until all the air had come dissipated, is there another method to bleed the engine.

Also where is the IAC valve on the throttle body.

Iac is on the rear of inlet manifold,two coolant pipes connect to it,also electrical connector.
Take it off and clean gauze out with carb cleaner.
My ek4 was reving bad last few weeks,swopped iac and its been fine.

Have you changed the oil recently? I once knocked off the vacuum pipe on the rear of the intake manifold whilst reaching for the oil filter.

Back