Spark Plug Gap and Correct NGK's???

Timi

Hi Guys.

I've done a search and brought this up in a related post but still no joy so thought i would create a thread as there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

I'm looking at getting some NGK Iridium plugs for my EK9 (Stock B16B). I'm aware that the standard recommended heat range is 7 by Honda.

The confusing part...

NGK do two plugs that will fit the B16B application:

BKR7EIX

BKR7EIX-11

The only difference being that the BKR7EIX-11 are pre-gapped to 1.1mm.

What is the standard gap? I've been told that the gap on the none '11' plugs will be 1.0mm, so only 0.1mm less. I've seen both '11' and none '11' plugs recommended on this forum so the big question is:

Do i need to use the spark plug which is pre-gapped to 1.1mm, or will the standard gap of 1.0mm (if this is the case) be perfectly fine to run with no detremental effects?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, i'm about to do a full service and want to make sure i'm getting the right bits.

11 means that the gap is pre set from factory to 1,1mm.

The stock gap for the B16B is 1,1mm the same to B16A and B18C.

The original sparkplug for your engine is:

NGK
PFR7G-11

So if you want to use NGK iridium use:
NGK
BKR7EIX-11

Ok thanks for the info. Would it be detremental to use the none '11' versions i.e. BKR7EIX? I have a set of these brand new currently but dont know whether the 0.1mm less gap will be at all harmful to the engine or performance.

I got the NGK BKR6EIX-11's.....is that going to matter? I notice the 6 there where the 7 should be.

I got the NGK BKR6EIX-11's.....is that going to matter? I notice the 6 there where the 7 should be.

The 6 you see there, is the heat range of the spark plug, oem type r motors uses spark plugs with a heat range of 7, this means, than the spark plug NKG BKR7 is colder than the NGK BKR6.

My B18C came from japan with NGK BKR8 :nerv:

thinking i should really get BKR7EIX-11 (1.1mm gap) even though it would probably run just fine on the standard plug gap. The spark from a 1.1mm gapped plug would apparently be stronger as its got further to travel. Gives better ignition. But on a really high compression engine or heavily boosted one the shorter gap would probably be safer to avoid any possibility of blowing the spark out.

Does anybody know the best place to get 11's from the UK. Spark-Plugs.co.uk are alright but still £38 a set, not bad but does anybody get them cheaper elsewhere?

i use bkr7eix-11 its iridium plug i'm gonna change them for bkr7e
as it's better to use a cheap fresh plug that you change every 5000km/h than keep
an iridium plug for 40000+km/h...

Last edited:
Question here, maybe you could answer, I installed what I thought were correct plugs, they have a #6 heart range. Will this hurt the engine much or am I ok?

i think you'd be ok with 6's and it's not going to cause any damage but due to the high compression a 7 will grant you more performance i imagine?

correct me if i'm wrong anyone, and certainly if you believe 6's may cause problems!

i'd use 7's next time tho bud

I used BKR6E-11 NGK Iridium but now I bought BKR7E-N11, it is better in summer and high rpm too.

thinking i should really get BKR7EIX-11 (1.1mm gap) even though it would probably run just fine on the standard plug gap. The spark from a 1.1mm gapped plug would apparently be stronger as its got further to travel. Gives better ignition. But on a really high compression engine or heavily boosted one the shorter gap would probably be safer to avoid any possibility of blowing the spark out.

Does anybody know the best place to get 11's from the UK. Spark-Plugs.co.uk are alright but still £38 a set, not bad but does anybody get them cheaper elsewhere?
Tegiwa imports 30pound set of 4 ;-)

Back