My '98 Spec Mugen Equipped DC2

Nice update man! Love seeing updates for this car!
You must be happy with the intake set up now!

Lovely jdm parts, Really like your updates. Keep it up.
Did you buy that rad from jap performance parts? Rare item must say

Yeh I bought it off them, Love the proper JDM branded radiators, had a new mishimoto one before in my other car and you could tell they were just made by a generic company in Taiwan IMO. Thanks!

Nice update man! Love seeing updates for this car!
You must be happy with the intake set up now!

Yes, it sounds so much better now and feels like it pulls a little harder, also seems a bit more eager when getting nearer the blood on the rev counter.

Nice suprised you didn't get a gen2

Yeh, This popped up and I always thought the Gen.1 filled the bay up a bit a more, the Gen.2 would have been in keeping with the rest of the '98 spec Mugen parts and has a better looking filter design too.

Got a few pics after a good blast last night testing my new goodies :dance:.

Photobucket made the pics look a bit ****, anyone know if you can do high quality uploads there?

Last edited:
Shiney tape for the win! Mines covered in it lol
You should have got the gold tape, worth 10hp per ft.
That's why I'm 280hp, turbos just for decoration

Last edited:
Shiney tape for the win! Mines covered in it lol
You should have got the gold tape, worth 10hp per ft.
That's why I'm 280hp, turbos just for decoration

Haha, it's addictive stuff like.

Yeh, your just trying to keep the real power gainer underwraps :secret:

So another update on this,

My dad came over from Ireland to visit me in Newcastle for the weekend along with his pride, his DC2. We planned this around the HOT track day at Croft and what an awesome day it was!

I found the track very good with some good variety between lower speed technical sections and some hairy high speed sections. I ran 5 sessions on the DC2 and had a good play with some of the other Honda's there. Although it really has put me back to the drawing board and more parts are needed. I was running the Mugen shocks and springs which to be honest aren't suited to my needs, awesome for a good B road blast, but coils are high on the list next, want to buy something decent too. I was running Hankook RS2's mostly because they were on my track wheels already and the 888's are stored in Ireland, they still surprise me at how good they are. Definitely not 888 material but a good solid tyre which wears well. Car performed faultlessly and the Mugen intake is a nice improvement, also no more brake judders with the new slotted discs :)). Endless pads are lasting very well too.

Oil change after track now, trying some of this oil next for a change, got it at a decent price and it seems highly regarded:

Also visited a local car show today with some of the North East Honda guys, some nice vehicles, sadly mine hadn't been washed since the trackday on Friday :nice:

This was a nice EG also sporting some MF's.

At the track, hopefully will find some on track pics soon! (The 15" comps and ride height don't do much for my car)

Dan's DC5:

Nicoles EK9:

Video's to follow soon.

Looks like a great track mate, need to try some different circuits myself!

Good to see Amos back in action with the new power plant :)

Great video man!
The car really holds it's own against the likes of Nicole's ek9!
Gorgeous dc2!

Looks like a great track mate, need to try some different circuits myself!

Good to see Amos back in action with the new power plant :)

It is Stephen, you should take a venture across here sometime, great first time experience of a trackday here in England!

Great video man!
The car really holds it's own against the likes of Nicole's ek9!
Gorgeous dc2!

Thanks man, My car gives me a great impression of how good stock ITR's are out of the box, The Mugen suspension is almost OEM spec and the tyres are middle of the road which makes it great fun, there is plently of movement and the high speed 4wheel drifts give you a great sense of speed lol.

Video on board my car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96lx24A6L5I&feature=youtu.be

Looking good lad,hopefully won't be to long until I'm back out on track with use boys

Great updates and great video mate! Keep it up!

Looking good lad,hopefully won't be to long until I'm back out on track with use boys

Thanks guys, Yeh Phil, get something sorted for Kirkistown on the 14th of next month!

So haven't really updated this in a while, Guess I have been too busy driving/enjoying the thing :nice:.

So it has been my daily for the last 4 months here in Newcastle and I'll be taking it back home next month, get a trackday in and park it up for winter in the garage keeping it fresh.

I carried out another oil change recently, Tried some Castrol edge 0W40 as opposed to the Motul Xcess 5W40. I went for '0' because when I drive my work in the morning is before 7am and it's quite cold out and thought an oil with a lower viscosity at lower temps would benefit the cold starts, and I feel the engine does seem smoother when cold and marginally quieter on idle. I recommend the 0w40, Honda do recommend the 0w30 but this would be a bit light for track use due to the higher temps experienced.

Mileage check (still in KM's):

Also I managed to source some good quality Japanese coilovers which are actually made by/for ZeroFighter race team in Japan, I got that confirmed by a guy from the shop in Japan. There in fantastic condition and I can't wait to get them for the next track day, I don't know a definitive answer for the spring rates but my calculations/measurements tell me there F12K R10K, which is exactly what I was after. Aluminium bodied, Dual perch and have a monotube shock design.

Try and keep it as clean as I can:

As usual my plans always stem further than my funds allow, but hopefully it will see a few nice additions over winter, Can't keep my eyes off R32 GTR's at the moment but that's an unlikely prospect lol. I am really enjoying the 'teg.

Last edited:
Looking good, nice find on the coilovers and they look in great condition as well!!

Skylines are good but you would miss the Honda, a lot more to go wrong with turbo'd cars and a 4wd gtr would be seriously thirsty

Hopefully see you's at Kirkistown on the 14th

Looking good, nice find on the coilovers and they look in great condition as well!!

Skylines are good but you would miss the Honda, a lot more to go wrong with turbo'd cars and a 4wd gtr would be seriously thirsty

Hopefully see you's at Kirkistown on the 14th

Thanks Stephen, Yeh I keep thinking that and think that you also made the transition & back again. I think something higher maintenance isn't what I need either, I like jumping in my car and driving it without being nervous about components failing or needing replaced.

Yes, we will be up indeed. What kind of times is your car running around Kirky if you don't mind me asking?

Looks lovely, some lovely parts there to
Well done for keeping a daily driver so clean all the time,

Were all back in Hondas once again haha tbh mate the skyline is an awsome machine,I loved mine and it soon cured the rwd bug I had haha very simple to work on just like honda but as Stephen says more maintainece costs although there a good reliable car and respond well to mods. I'd def keep the dc2 and just go as far as u can with it first tho,you should drop my engine in it ;)

Thanks Stephen, Yeh I keep thinking that and think that you also made the transition & back again. I think something higher maintenance isn't what I need either, I like jumping in my car and driving it without being nervous about components failing or needing replaced.

Yes, we will be up indeed. What kind of times is your car running around Kirky if you don't mind me asking?

That's exactly it, with a Honda you can drive them hard on the road and track and not worry too much but with the likes of a big turbo esp a 4wd wagon you will always be worrying about something failing and a big repair bill.

As for times..I had the Harry's lap timer working at Kirkistown at the last trackday and I average around a 1.08 without any traffic and actually managed my best time yet which was a very high 1.06 which I'm very happy with. There would be another second or 2 with full slicks and a bit more weight stripped/ some aero so still room for improvement when the time comes

beautiful vehicle :nice:

Cheers man, means a lot :nice:.

Were all back in Hondas once again haha tbh mate the skyline is an awsome machine,I loved mine and it soon cured the rwd bug I had haha very simple to work on just like honda but as Stephen says more maintainece costs although there a good reliable car and respond well to mods. I'd def keep the dc2 and just go as far as u can with it first tho,you should drop my engine in it ;)

Indeed, I think I wised myself up a little lol. And your right Phil, I should drop you engine it, and your gearbox with my 4.7 out of my box so it would be a bit more road friendly, sounds like I have it planned out doesn't it? Just ain't got the funds at the mo though :((.

That's exactly it, with a Honda you can drive them hard on the road and track and not worry too much but with the likes of a big turbo esp a 4wd wagon you will always be worrying about something failing and a big repair bill.

As for times..I had the Harry's lap timer working at Kirkistown at the last trackday and I average around a 1.08 without any traffic and actually managed my best time yet which was a very high 1.06 which I'm very happy with. There would be another second or 2 with full slicks and a bit more weight stripped/ some aero so still room for improvement when the time comes

Yes, They enjoy being driven indeed :nice:.

Ah that's a decent time indeed, I can see it getting better rather quickly aswell knowing you! I did a 1.10 with mine in stock, full fat form, (Hankook RS2's & mugen suspension & TL)

Hopefully improve a little on it this time on the 888's & coilovers, Mugen Intake and decat will hopefully make her breath a bit better since last time too.

My dad is going to run slicks this time I think too, should be a fun day :p

Back