Ek aggressive Tarmac race setup

rallypvc

Hi just wondered what chamber and front toe you guys are running this is for a purpose build Tarmac race/rally car not road car

Depends on the stage conditions, for example here in Ireland we rally on bumpy narrow road which tend to have a crown in the middle of the road. So the cars tend to run a little higher ride height and softer damping. You also can't add more than about 1.2 degrees total camber to the front as the car would become very nervous and twitchy.

There's no true perfect set up you will have to do some testing to see what you like, if you give a quick brief of the surface types you drive on there a few lads on here that will be able to point you in a good direction to a set up to start testing from!

Like what tyres you are using? What dampers? Roll bars?

Must common surface we go on is disused air fields 100% flat running bc coil overs ek9 arb's semi slick tyres ie marangoni zeta linea sport or r888

Surface sometimes switches from Tarmac to concrete but still flat

I would suggest along these lines

Front:
Camber, 1.5-1.7degrees total
Toe, 0.4 degrees toe'd out total
Swap your top wishbones from left to right for a little castor, but castor is the big deal if you can get a couple of degrees!
Don't go any lower on the front than when the wishbones are level at ride height, even if it does look high at the wheel arch.

Rear:
Camber 1 degree total
Toe, 0.5 degree in total
Ride height, keep the lower track control arm level.
Remove the rear anti roll bar.

You might need to do a bit of playing around with the damper settings but that's just time!

Wishbones are set level never heard of swoping the uppers over before but makes sense now you say it

I would suggest along these lines

Front:
Camber, 1.5-1.7degrees total
Toe, 0.4 degrees toe'd out total
Swap your top wishbones from left to right for a little castor, but castor is the big deal if you can get a couple of degrees!
Don't go any lower on the front than when the wishbones are level at ride height, even if it does look high at the wheel arch.

Rear:
Camber 1 degree total
Toe, 0.5 degree in total
Ride height, keep the lower track control arm level.
Remove the rear anti roll bar.

You might need to do a bit of playing around with the damper settings but that's just time!

surely removing the rear arb will make it understeer like crazy? also what do you mean total camber? is rear camber 1 degree each side i take it? total would suggest half each side totaling a degree.

Wishbones are set level never heard of swoping the uppers over before but makes sense now you say it

It's quite common in the race series, more for serious applications and sounds like will help your setup if needed

Swapping the front upper control arms will increase the Caster from stock 1°40' to 2°40' .So you'll increase the caster by 1 degree and that is also the stock Max spec.
If you're increasing caster i wouldn't run that much camber in the front .More Caster also increases the dynamic camber so you don't need as much static camber.
I'd keep toe in front at Zero (if you're running aftermarket bushings) ,and rear a little out .Camber around 0.5° - 1.0° in front and 1.5°- 2.0° in the rear.That's how i run it on my ej9, without a swaybar on the rear.But each car is different.

Last edited:
surely removing the rear arb will make it understeer like crazy? also what do you mean total camber? is rear camber 1 degree each side i take it? total would suggest half each side totaling a degree.

quiet the opposite, in my experience in rallying it really increases turn in, but, thats using a 3 way adjustable proflex damper where you can control role with your low speed damping. total camber is the angle between the two wheels, so when i say 1 degree total, i mean 0.5 per side

if you run too much camber on the front you will have a bump steer issue also which you dont want. Also too much camber on the rear will give you way too much camber in a heavy bump situation and cause the car to skip left and right after a jump or bump

Always wondered how much extra Castor swapping L-R will give.

I assume the EG/DC's gain a little bit more as the top arms have more of an offset than the EK's?

hi rallypvc how have you found your bc coilovers on rallycar i have ek9 tarmac car aswell and wondered what you think of them , what spring rates did you go for .

Back