DC5 Recaro seats in DC2, fitment Issue

Junaid K

Hi guys. Need a few opinions regarding the issue below. I'm in South Africa and it's difficult to get info here as the car is rare.

My car, when I purchased it, did not have the JDM DC2 Recaros, but I managed to source a set of DC5 Recaros & ordered a set of original DC2 ITR recaro rails.

When my JDM DC2 ITR Recaro rails finally arrived. I wasted little time in bolting them up to my DC5 Recaro's and they were an easy fit into my 98 JDM ITR.

That is, until I closed the doors. This is a rhd car, so on the left, the passenger side, there's adequate clearance, but for some strange reason, on the drivers side, both the thigh and upright bolster make contact with the door.

Any explanation for this?

Rails seemed fine & in a good condition overall.

But, If you look at the rear bolt on both outer rails, the rear screw cap was
missing, so I just painted a set of dome nuts & fitted them.

Measurements from outer rail to step sill on both sides are the same.

FS_zps2df8e5a8.jpg

Driver's side:

Outer rail:
DR_zps493ecf4b.jpg

Seat to door:
DS_zpscc9194d9.jpg

Inner rail:
DIR_zps21121a26.jpg

Passenger side:

Outer rail:
PR_zps9aabf06e.jpg

Seat to door:
PS_zps1fa955e7.jpg

Inner rail:
PIR_zps6d6300b3.jpg

Hi Junaid..DC2R Recaros are SR3 based, whereas DC5R Recaros are SR4s. The main differences are the size of the logo, the shape of the harness hole area and the DC5 seats are a "little wider/larger".

Hi Junaid..DC2R Recaros are SR3 based, whereas DC5R Recaros are SR4s. The main differences are the size of the logo, the shape of the harness hole area and the DC5 seats are a "little wider/larger".

But how will this account for the fact that they fit fine on the passenger side,
but touch the door on the drivers side? Is it normal for this swap?

I did not have this problem wiyh fitting my dc5 seats in my dc2.. so not sure what the issue would be.

just curious, do you try to fit the passenger seat on the driver rails and close the door??? it's a silly sugestion, but the recaros that I've seen on dc2\del sol\eg etc are mounted with the reclining adjuster on the inner side, maybe the rail position are not symetrical and if you put them on the wrong side it will it the door......not sure you I made myself clear, but it's difficult to explain with words what are running on my mind lol....if you don't understand what I meant I'll be glad to post some pics to clearify....good luck mate

Is it definitely a dc2 drivers rail your using?

I bought the set off eBay. They came from the US. What else could possibly fit a bottom mount Recaro & bolt the seat to the DC2 chassis?

just curious, do you try to fit the passenger seat on the driver rails and close the door??? it's a silly sugestion, but the recaros that I've seen on dc2\del sol\eg etc are mounted with the reclining adjuster on the inner side, maybe the rail position are not symetrical and if you put them on the wrong side it will it the door......not sure you I made myself clear, but it's difficult to explain with words what are running on my mind lol....if you don't understand what I meant I'll be glad to post some pics to clearify....good luck mate

I get exactly what youre saying. Please post pics anyway, if you dont mind.
It's never occured to me that the recliner adjuster should be, or could be, on the inside.

Anybody else have any thoughts about this.

As I promised here are the photos, Google courtesy so I can upload them asap........

1323660013-JDM-ITR-Integra-Dc2-Red-Recaro-seats-120.JPG

p1010586a.jpg

Thank you. I did some research yesterday, after your suggestion, & all pics I found of the DC5 seats in a DC5. had the adjuster knob on the outside, so they seem to be correct as I have them.

Nice find on those DC5 seats Junaid:nice:

Lol, thanks man.

I think I have found a rational explanation though. I removed the drivers seat yesterday, & noticed that the outer thigh bolster was pushed out a bit, which would account for the lack of clearance to the door. A quick measurement comparison shows that between the drivers seat thigh bolsters, there is 20mm width difference, as compared to the passenger side.

Both uprights seem to be off centre to the base, as in the drivers side sits too much over to the right & touches the door, & the passenger side also sits too much over to the right, creating too much clearance to the door.

Looks like its time to visit an upholstery shop to have this rectified.

Back