clicking noise and no drive

y56vtec

Hi got my car back from being resprayed and on the way home it stopped driving it would go into gear but when I released the clutch it would rev up as if it was in neutral so I had to tow it. There is a loud clicking when its being towd anyone any ideas what it could be thanks

how often is the clicking? Does it increase at speed or is it constantly the same in tempo, sound etc?

Surely he'd still get drive to one wheel if it was a driveshaft? unless both failed which seems pretty unlikely!

Its like a clunking ha if you know what I mean. It gets faster the faster im towed. I thought it could be drives too but I was told could be box too. It goes into gear perfect

Had the same problem with mine when I snapped one drivers side driveshaft, had no drive at all and a weird clicking noise.

If one wheel loses traction and in this case a snapped driveshaft, the other wheel won't get drive unless he has a locking diff. Snapped drive shaft is my vote, easy fix.

Plate diff should still drive(like ****) but should still move forward. But oem type won't.

Recently had this actually happen. Popped a shaft out and even the plaste LSD wasn't moving the car forward.

Last edited:
If one wheel loses traction and in this case a snapped driveshaft, the other wheel won't get drive unless he has a locking diff. Snapped drive shaft is my vote, easy fix.

Thanks ill check will I be able to tell by just going underneath the car

Thanks ill check will I be able to tell by just going underneath the car

Yup ur see the shaft sticking out might have poped out of the gearbox or be broken just have a good look under the front of the car even if u dont know what ur lookin at u should figure it out if it is the shaft :))

Yup ur see the shaft sticking out might have poped out of the gearbox or be broken just have a good look under the front of the car even if u dont know what ur lookin at u should figure it out if it is the shaft :))

Thanks will have to have a look when it dries up

Only got a chance to look at the drive yesterday it doesnt seem to be snapped. When I was driving it before it happened the gear stick was doing alot of wobbling when I put down the shoe. Should I just get a new shaft and see if it works dont want to be wasting money if its not the shaft

Only got a chance to look at the drive yesterday it doesnt seem to be snapped. When I was driving it before it happened the gear stick was doing alot of wobbling when I put down the shoe. Should I just get a new shaft and see if it works dont want to be wasting money if its not the shaft

No point in buying parts at random, have you checked both shafts? Could also be your CV joint that disintegrated, you'll have to investigate properly I'm afraid. Or maybe one of the shafts just popped out. If you are certain that both shafts are in place and intact then remove the gearbox and check clutch / flywheel assembly. If that's all fine open then box and check for damage there, could be the diff or other internal damage.

Is that how it was or did you pull that out? That part is supposed to be smooth, the splines are on the very end of the shaft. If this is how you found it then it just popped out, the question is why?

Thats the part that goes into the box ya. I found it like that. Can I just pop it back in if so how. Or could there be something sheared thanks

Last edited:
It should just push back in but You usually need to give it a turn to line the splines up which may be a bit tricky with it still attached to to the hub, if it was me I'd take it out completely and have a good look at everything just to check for any damage, is the retaining clip in place? It's hard to tell from that photo but that's what's meant to stop this happening.

Back