Brake Advice. New discs/change?

Kipper

Okay so I put new front blueprint blank discs on my car (JDM DC2), well about 2k miles ago now along with a few laps of the ring.

I first put them on for the ring (last minute job and all I could get my hands, current ones were sending horrible juddering at all speeds) and combined with my new pads (Endless ME20, Circuit/Rally compound). The stopping power is immense, really is but I was getting some hard judders after about 5-6mins in to each lap, I let it cool in between laps, after I let it cool, things were back to normal until again about 5-6mins in where if you touched the brakes the you could feel the car judder quite brutally.

To be fair being my first time on the 'ring I was pretty heavy on the middle pedal. But the judders I was experiencing, is this debris transferring from the pad to the disc? Do I need some slots in the disc to help 'clean' them up a bit?

Originally I automatically thought the pads are definitely overkill for the discs but now I'm not sure, was looking at stoptech disc and OEM Honda.

To sum this up, I have a track day next month and I don't want it ruined by horrible shudders every time I need to brake.

Any similar experiences or solutions? :nice:

Cheers
Kris

Last edited:
On my first outing at kirkstown I was using oem discs with ds2500 pads and the discs were ruined after one outing, the same thing happened horrible shudders but near the end they wouldn't go away... I upgraded to freaky parts mtec race discs and ds3000 pads was the best thing I did the next 2 or 3 track days I gave the breaks a hard time and they didn't fade or shudder at all if you want it to stop upgrade your discs for a set of the mtec discs reasonably priced and I got the grooved ones helps with the pad debris as you mentioned

Have you thought about trying the Brembo blank discs mate? They are £60 for a front pair and seem to get good reviews for on the track

Grooved discs will help with aggressive pads on the track but they tend to shave the pad material in my personal experience and eat a set of pads quicker than blanks

You could try Brembo plain discs and a Ferodo Ds3000 pad which sould be plenty and last well without a build up of pad material on the disc

A set of Mtec discs would be £65.00 delivered.
I prefer the grooved discs (which can be included in the price) as they stop the pads glazing. I've not had any issues with increased pad wear either. I run them on my race car and the same set has been on since day one and I'm into my 3rd season now. As you can imagine, I'm not particularly gentle on them and running CL RC5 and RC6 on them.

I was running stoptech grooved discs on my EK4 track car and I was hard on the brakes but also due with the fact that they were the original 262 setup on the front, a lot of heat was produced.

The RC6 are definitely harder wearing than the Ferodos but I did notice a difference in how long the pads lasted with a plain disc.

As far as Im aware F1 cars use a plain disc although they are a carbon composite material so it doesnt really count

I do agree that a grooved disc should keep the pad from glazing and reduce build up on the disc. Each to their own I suppose as they both have strengths and weaknesses

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate the comments!

Have been looking at spoon ones as I like the design and have always had trust in their products. And stephen, I had the DS2500 and they just seemed to crumble away, wouldn't use Ferodo again.

Glazing is my issue, I am also going to reconsider my braking style on track as I have a hunch this could be a factor too. A smoother approach could help I think.

The ferodos tend to crumble a bit at the very edges but doesn't cause much of a problem. I have used EBC before and they cracked down the middle and started to come away from the backing plate

If your going with the likes of carbon Lorraine or similar and having glazing issues then go for a good grooved disc, the Mtec discs that "freaky parts" supplies are good without spending a fortune

They'll help keep the pads from glazing yes.
We can also supply CL, Carbotech, EBC, Mintex and Ferodos if you fancy a change.

So yeh, put freaky parts slotted discs on the front of my DC2 for my last trackday at croft.
They performed very well, the slots kept the disc surface nice and clean, clearing the debris caused by my harsh semi-metallic pads. No shudders :)).
I would recommend these to anybody, especially at the price.

As you can see I was pretty hard on the stoppers aswell:

Back