Replacing aem big brake kit rotors with brembo rotors..need help!

KOUVPASIR

a few years ago i got my ej9s front brakes 262mm converted to AEM front big brake kit (305mm grooved rotors ,oem caliper with relocating bracket and ferodo pads).
(My ej have front & rear ek4 arms) .
The problem i had before with oem rotors 262mm was warping!
I tried brembo max (grooved rotors) with ferodo pads ,the same problem, warping!
So i went for AEM big brake kit with ferodo pads.
That was an amazing upgreat for my car! Perfect bite ,adjusting braking and progressive pedal !:nice:

The last time i go for a service engineer said that i need new pads and he propose oem pads (nissin)! I was a little nervous about this change but i finally agreed!:nerv:
In the start i had noises etc. I wait till 500 km for pads to get surface.
The performance of the brakes never came to the level before but they get worse! (everyday driving).
In my last trip away from the town i had to brake from 140 km , my wheel start bouncing and i realized my rotors had warped! the road surface was in very good condition:angry:
I finally was confirmed , oem pads never liked those AEM rotors!

To a conclusion i need to change the rotors.
Last time,i read to many bad things for AEM rotors so i decide to go for brembo and brembo plain ones! Not grooved nor drilled!

I dont want to go back to 265mm oem setup. I 've already tested.:(
I'll go ferodo pads for sure!:nice:
But which brembo rotor must i buy ?(dimensions):secret: I dont think that brembo makes that dimension 305mm for eks or if does make for what honda model?

Does anyone use a big brake kit with oem caliper?
:thanks:

Last edited:
Ok. Here is a pic of my current brake setup!
26263-replacing-aem-big-brake-kit-rotors-brembo-rotors-need-help.html

Attachments

• $DSC00836.jpg
    $DSC00836.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 5,139
Last edited:
The size of the rotors i need is 305mm diameter ,21mm thickness to a 4x100 hub!
Anyone?

try TAR.OX brakes, custom made, few weeks to arrive, best discs ive used!
Friend ,what do you mean custom made? Do Tar.ox made custom rotors? How much!?

oem ep3 discs redrilled to 4x100 should do, think they are 303mm though
Well i don't like the idea of re drill ep3 rotors. i don't thing its gonna work.
Ep3 rotors are 300mm x 25mm thickness and i need 305mm x 21mm , need more modifications than re drilling , maybe thicker pads? !:mad:

I made a research and i found these rotor made in US by Stoptech ! there looks like my AEM rotors except from the slots that now are not grooved shaped ! I think is exactly the same "B" series product with the same quality!
Power Slot Plus Brake Kit: Import-Racer.com
The other one is that they sell the whole kit and not individual rotors!:(

Attachments

• $power-slot-plus.jpg
    $power-slot-plus.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 692
The problem you have is you've got 2 piece rotors. They have an aluminium bell and seperate rotor.
To replace them you need to know the diameter and thickness of the rotor, how many mount holes the rotor has to mount it to the aluminium bell and what the PCD of the mount holes are as well as the Lug ID (Inside Diameter)
If you look at this picture:
Solid-Steel-Rotor-dw-lg.jpg

All the above measurements are needed if you dont want to buy AEM replacement rotors.
There are alternative replacements available for the current rotor, but if you were looking for a 1 piece rotor to replace the 2 piece setup you've got it will be very difficult. To do this you need to get an exact match of the overall height of the disk as well as the height of the bell and as it's probably been custom designed to match the relocating brackets you have fitted to the calipers, the chances of finding a 1 piece rotor that exactly matches your setup will be slim.

If you can supply me with the above measurements, I can check with my suppliers if they have something similar that I could supply.

I may have found some. They're the same diameter and thickness (well 304.8mm x 20.574mm) so should fit, but would need to know the inside measurements of the rotor to confirm they will bolt to your existing bells.

I may have found some. They're the same diameter and thickness (well 304.8mm x 20.574mm) so should fit, but would need to know the inside measurements of the rotor to confirm they will bolt to your existing bells.

Thanks pile but i think the problem is deeper!
The exact AEM rotors are the black ones not the ones from the AEMs red big brake kit
http://www.carreview.com/mfr/aem/brakes/PRD_54487_1579crx.aspx.
http://dsm.fidke.com/articles/diy-2g-dual-piston-brake-caliper-conversion.aspx
From the first site seems to be a 2 piece rotor cause you see those allen screws ! If you take a closer look ,i think the allen screws are only for the look!:nerv:http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=789107
I'm afraid these are 1 piece rotor. I did a research and nowhere said that's a 2 piece rotor (and not available from anyone)!
Tomorrow maybe i'll take my rotor out to see it more careful and inform you about!

Last edited:
Looking at the pic you posted
10095d1281366155-replacing-aem-big-brake-kit-rotors-brembo-rotors-need-help-dsc00836.jpg

They look almost certain to be 2 piece rotors, as it's the easiest way to make a big brake kit to fit the OEM calipers as it's very hard to find an off the shelf 1 piece disk with the correct offset to match the OEM caliper.

It's very unlikely someone would go to all the trouble to fit the cap head bolts to the rotor just for show.

Looking at the pic you posted
10095d1281366155-replacing-aem-big-brake-kit-rotors-brembo-rotors-need-help-dsc00836.jpg

They look almost certain to be 2 piece rotors, as it's the easiest way to make a big brake kit to fit the OEM calipers as it's very hard to find an off the shelf 1 piece disk with the correct offset to match the OEM caliper.

It's very unlikely someone would go to all the trouble to fit the cap head bolts to the rotor just for show.

What can i say? Thats money business! You can make a good product an make some money , or you can make a product similar to an expencive one and make a fortune!
I dont think AEM is as much good on brakes stuff as good as air intakes and managment! They just exploit their name to go for extra money!

Last edited:
What can i say? Thats money business! You can make a good product an make some money , or you can make a product similar to an expencive one and make a fortune!

Lol. Honestly though, for the price they're charging, they're going to be 2 piece rotors.
1 piece rotors are very rarely cast with a curved hat in them due to excessive cost, plus, as you're finding out, there isn't an off the shelf disk of that size, spec and offset. It's cheaper to make an aluminium bell (hat) and seperate rotor to fit the specification needed than to go to the effort of creating a cast for what would be a very small run of 1 piece rotors.

Easiest way to confirm is take the complete disk off and turn it over. It will have nuts the other side of the cap head bolts securing the aluminium bell to the rotor.

The two links you posted above both have 2 piece rotors, rather than 1 piece cast rotors.
the first link states it in the description:
http://www.carreview.com/mfr/aem/brakes/PRD_54487_1579crx.aspx said:
The utilization of CNC-machined 6061-T6 billet aluminum rotor hats diminishes the rotor's tendency to cup under extreme prolonged use and reduces the overall weight of the rotor when compared to cast versions.

Last edited:
Lol. Honestly though, for the price they're charging, they're going to be 2 piece rotors.
1 piece rotors are very rarely cast with a curved hat in them due to excessive cost, plus, as you're finding out, there isn't an off the shelf disk of that size, spec and offset. It's cheaper to make an aluminium bell (hat) and seperate rotor to fit the specification needed than to go to the effort of creating a cast for what would be a very small run of 1 piece rotors.

Easiest way to confirm is take the complete disk off and turn it over. It will have nuts the other side of the cap head bolts securing the aluminium bell to the rotor.

The two links you posted above both have 2 piece rotors, rather than 1 piece cast rotors.
the first link states it in the description:

The links below was to see the difference these are not my rotors.
I found them used on ebay: Civic Del Sol Integra AEM big Brake Kit *Front*: eBay Motors (item 190432696237 end time Aug-25-10 08:33:15 PDT)
You can read that link : BPTech AEM Big Brake Kit Sale - Honda-Tech
and you'll understant what i ment before about the originality of a product!:((

So the original pic you took wasn't of the rotors on your car? as every link you've posted are of 2 piece rotors :lol:
If they are indeed 1 piece rotors, then it's a whole lot more complicated.
If they're taken from another car, you may be in luck but I'll need to know the measurements on the below diagram
DiskSpec.jpg

Ideally I need A, D, E and F to cross reference it to another disk that is the same.
If they've had a cast made up from scratch to their design and they've now stopped producing it your chances are very slim of getting replacements.

So the original pic you took wasn't of the rotors on your car? as every link you've posted are of 2 piece rotors :lol:
If they are indeed 1 piece rotors, then it's a whole lot more complicated.
If they're taken from another car, you may be in luck but I'll need to know the measurements on the below diagram
DiskSpec.jpg

Ideally I need A, D, E and F to cross reference it to another disk that is the same.
If they've had a cast made up from scratch to their design and they've now stopped producing it your chances are very slim of getting replacements.

Well the pic i took is from my rotors!
the 2 first links with the red hat and the cross drilled rotors is the original AEM big brake kit with the AEM calipers.
My AEM big brake kit has black hat ,no AEM calipers just a pair of brakets that relocate the oem caliper!
I'll take my rotor out and pm you for the dimensions!

10196d1282235057-replacing-aem-big-brake-kit-rotors-brembo-rotors-need-help-aem.jpg

Attachments

• $aem.JPG
    $aem.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 4,429
Last edited:
So you HAVE got 2 piece rotors :lol:
The pic above is of a rotor with a seperate aluminium bell, bolted to the rotor with cap head bolts.
If you can take the disk off the car, turn it over and take the measurements from my first post I can see if the rotors I can get will fit to your bell.
You'll also see what I mean about them being 2 piece when you turn them over as they're physically bolted together rather than being a complete cast one piece disk.

So you HAVE got 2 piece rotors :lol:
The pic above is of a rotor with a seperate aluminium bell, bolted to the rotor with cap head bolts.
If you can take the disk off the car, turn it over and take the measurements from my first post I can see if the rotors I can get will fit to your bell.
You'll also see what I mean about them being 2 piece when you turn them over as they're physically bolted together rather than being a complete cast one piece disk.

Here are the dimensions of my rotors ,and some new pics of them :
:lol:I still cannot see a 2 piece rotor! The alen screws are real but for no reason, just for the look!. It's a fake 2 piece rotor! Also the inside ventilated area of the rotor is realy rusted !

10202d1282313875-replacing-aem-big-brake-kit-rotors-brembo-rotors-need-help-diskspec2.jpg

10203d1282314169-replacing-aem-big-brake-kit-rotors-brembo-rotors-need-help-dsc00840.jpg

10204d1282314169-replacing-aem-big-brake-kit-rotors-brembo-rotors-need-help-dsc00841.jpg

10205d1282314169-replacing-aem-big-brake-kit-rotors-brembo-rotors-need-help-dsc00847.jpg

10206d1282314169-replacing-aem-big-brake-kit-rotors-brembo-rotors-need-help-dsc00843.jpg

10207d1282314169-replacing-aem-big-brake-kit-rotors-brembo-rotors-need-help-dsc008452.jpg

Attachments

• $DiskSpec2.JPG
    $DiskSpec2.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 2,483
  • $DSC00840.jpg
    $DSC00840.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 4,171
  • $DSC00841.jpg
    $DSC00841.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 2,732
  • $DSC00847.jpg
    $DSC00847.jpg