Auto to Manual

Cookie

Honda EK 97
Hello all, I'm new. Im from Australia

I have an Honda civic hatch 97" auto, and i was wondering to put in an B18 or B16 engine in so i was inquiring how much work would it take to convert an automatic to an manual. The reason I have an auto is because previous owner was selling it quiet cheap so I pounced on the deal.

looking forward for your feed back :bow:

haha, thnx ^^ yeah if you like but its a stock GLI .. i mean dead stock

Ah no worries mate, if you're talkin engine conversions im sure it's got some good plans aheah of it - be nice to see it now at the begininng of the project.

As for your question of auto to manual, the only aspect of that i've not seen covered before will be changing out the auto shifter for a manual one. Since it's a B16/18 going in, you'll have to swap the gearbox anyway, make sure you get all the mounts with it and it should drop straight in.

I'm sure a few of the guys here who have done transplants before will be able to tell you more, good luck with it!

yeah, engine swaps are pretty much straight forward mainly needing mounts, but the gear box part of it is something im not too sure about, from what i have gathered so far the manual gear box will fit in the original position of the auto gear box but the clutch peddle, and other manual features is something i need to find out

Last edited:
Apart from complete engine and gearbox with mounts, gear linkage ect. you will need all the hydraulic lines for the clutch and all the pedal assembly from a MT doner car, also the center console that goes around the gear stick and I believe there is abit of wiring to be done at where the Auto trans. selecting control used to be, as there is a safety feature to not let the car crank unless its in park.

you have to make sure you get ecu & harness from motor! shift linkage, all clutch lines, pedals, tranny bracket mount, by pass automatic shifter so you can start the car or re-due all dash harness from a manuel that way your reverse lights work! very simple job! i did it to a hatch already...hardest part was cutting the auto gear box so shift linkage can fit! you have to drill two holes & bolts for shift linkage!

I converted a B16A eg6 from auto to manual a few months back.
You will also need a set of fly-wheel bolts as the auto ones are too short. The main top gear box mount will need modding and welding as the chassis leg fixing bracket is in a different place:angry2:. I just made a new mount out of the cut up auto one welded to the manual one.
You will need all 3 g-box mounts, starter motor and 1 new OS drive shaft (short one). a new ecu, B16 gear linkage, pedal box and the hydraulic system.
Good luck, Duncan

You will also need a set of fly-wheel bolts as the auto ones are too short. The main top gear box mount will need modding and welding as the chassis leg fixing bracket is in a different place:angry2:. I just made a new mount out of the cut up auto one welded to the manual one.

This is not the case with the 6th gen chassis. You do not need to cut and weld or custom fabricate for the top transmission mount.

You will need all 3 g-box mounts, starter motor and 1 new OS drive shaft (short one). a new ecu, B16 gear linkage, pedal box and the hydraulic system.
Good luck, Duncan

like ragingangel said u dont have to modify the chassis leg gbox mount on an ek thats only on eg's...i also did the auto to manual conversion on my eg6 sir the only real annoyin bit was wirin in my reverse lights as i kept the auto loom an i havent got a head for wires left the gear selecter in park an changed the clocks for manual one an got a p30ecu from a manual...i got the gbox bracket for the chassis leg off a donor eg as well as the linkage mount in the center console...u wouldn even no it used to be an automatic:drive:

Back