DIY guide. Civic 1999

sharbel

hey guys .... i finally decided to remove my projectors as many have suggested i should. they were pretty much dead anyway ....
here goes ....

Tool used : OVEN :)
Throw away rags
Flat Head screw Drivers
Alcohol (i used my sister's nail polish remover, perfume)
Scrubber (dish washing scrubber, used instead of sand paper)
Spray Paint - Heat Resistant
Silicon
Meguiar's paint cleaner

This is the original and what it looked like before the transformation.

ok, so i cleant them lightly and kept the Oven on at 200 Deg for 15mins. while the oven was on, i used a flat head screw driver to lift a bit of the clamps/clips so it just comes off after its heated. Be careful not to brake the plastic, as i broke one.

after the 15mins were up, the lights were placed with the front faced down.i used a Rag on the Turkey Tray as shown here :

Set the timer to 10mins again with 200Deg .... i had to check it every 2mins as i was to scared the front would just melt and Collapse. so keep checking it to make sure tht doesnt happen.

After those minutes are up, use rags to remove the Lamps on to the floor to have a good grip. as they are hot. A bit of force is required to pull them apart, and should get something like this :

take the 2 screws apart holding the chrome housing to the plastic panel.
ok, now get ur alcohol (nail polish remover :)) and ur scrubber. i used 2 types of scrubber i found at home.the real Harsh one and the delicate one.
start to use the polish remover with the harsh scrubber at 1st. u should see the chrome starting to fade etc. Do the corners well, as i was told the paint wont stick otherwise. so make sure you get the corners cleant well.
Many dont tell you this, but the part you are scrubbing is EXTREMLY DELICATE. it can crack due to a slight over pressure. Be careful.

there you can see the chrome getting rubbed off. i rubbed as much as possible so the chrome would come off, followed by the less harser scrubber to even things out.a better texture underneath.
Heres a Closeup :

One done and one to go :

I gave it an hour and i had a shower with the Housing. you dont have to do tht is u dont want too. LOL .....
i used just water to get the debri off and keep it smooth and clean.

The Next day it was ready to paint - i used the Nail polish remover once again with a fresh peice of cloth to rub it all over. Keep it for a few mins to dry and Ready to paint. I used Dupli Color Gun Metal Grey for my setup, 600Deg heat resistant.choose as you wish for yours.
with it Dried etc and with no Particles etc on it, the first Coat was given.

First Coat :

20 Mins break was given until the 2nd coat
Second Coat :

So it was kept over night to Dry well . The next day i focused on my Faded front clear plastic panel.
Used Meguiar's paint cleaner to rub all that Dead Skin off.
Be careful while installing the painted housing to the plastic panel as scratches could occur to the painted surface, tht could be pretty irritating.

Here it is : painted, Installed and Polished :

Put everything bak to the housing etc. to keep away dust from entering.
Reheat the Oven - 200Deg, 20 mins.
Put in you 1st lamp, with front facing down, on to a rag.
in 10mins remove you headlamps n start to put some force on it. many Use clamps etc to keep it tight, i used my Weight, Gently ofcourse on each side. I had to reheat it for 3-4 times so i could put my weight on each side for a few mins.careful not to keep the weight on the Middle of the housing as it may crack the plastic etc. Patience is a good virtue here.

Next, make sure all the clips are in place and pressed till its Best.
I then Used my Own silicon Bond just incase. Applied it all around the Lamp along the old Silicon area. Use a peice of Rag to flatten it out and fill any holes you see near the Clips. Few hours to Dry and your set.

and it was accompliased :

Thanks to Honda-acura.net for their help,
would love to help anyone who tried to do this. Its not that hard, the hardest part is getting the Silicon to bond again. but it turned pretty good for me.
If i left out anything, please do let me know. thanks.
cant wait to PUT EM ON !!!!!
HID ... mayb :)
Hope this was educational.

SD -

Reactions: rvm
Wow, great info, worth noting though is Nail polish remover is usually Acetone and not alcohol but it looks like it worked out great!!

Dont think I would have the balls to put a pair of lights in the oven, just doesn't seem right somehow

thanks for sharing this information! +rep for you!

ohh man workd :D

i tryd that last year with my Mums Oven and she nearly tru me out of Balcony:nono:

fair play man

7th floor btw :D

hahaha...thankyou guys ...i was waiting for this to be uploaded on here. by the admin.
well my sis warned me not to go anywhere near the Oven lol , but i did it while she was outta the house... i just installed the headlamps. i got rid of those projectors as many didnt like them. i do admit after doing this these lamps look the best .... just waiting to get a HID kit, but i also just bought a pair of Osram Cool Blue's .... :)
thanks for the comments guys - uploading some pics now.

SD -

Was :

Present:

The canards were stuck temporarly with Velcrow to see how it would look ... would love to get a CF lip and then install these.
This is a pic of what it is right now .... :

Comments and suggestions are needed, im sure most of you woudnt like the canards though.....
let me know .... thankyou ....
appreciate it

SD -

hey guys .... i finally decided to remove my projectors as many have suggested i should. they were pretty much dead anyway ....
here goes ....

Tool used : OVEN :)
Throw away rags
Flat Head screw Drivers
Alcohol (i used my sister's nail polish remover, perfume)
Scrubber (dish washing scrubber, used instead of sand paper)
Spray Paint - Heat Resistant
Silicon
Meguiar's paint cleaner

This is the original and what it looked like before the transformation.

ok, so i cleant them lightly and kept the Oven on at 200 Deg for 15mins. while the oven was on, i used a flat head screw driver to lift a bit of the clamps/clips so it just comes off after its heated. Be careful not to brake the plastic, as i broke one.

after the 15mins were up, the lights were placed with the front faced down.i used a Rag on the Turkey Tray as shown here :

Set the timer to 10mins again with 200Deg .... i had to check it every 2mins as i was to scared the front would just melt and Collapse. so keep checking it to make sure tht doesnt happen.

After those minutes are up, use rags to remove the Lamps on to the floor to have a good grip. as they are hot. A bit of force is required to pull them apart, and should get something like this :

take the 2 screws apart holding the chrome housing to the plastic panel.
ok, now get ur alcohol (nail polish remover :)) and ur scrubber. i used 2 types of scrubber i found at home.the real Harsh one and the delicate one.
start to use the polish remover with the harsh scrubber at 1st. u should see the chrome starting to fade etc. Do the corners well, as i was told the paint wont stick otherwise. so make sure you get the corners cleant well.
Many dont tell you this, but the part you are scrubbing is EXTREMLY DELICATE. it can crack due to a slight over pressure. Be careful.

there you can see the chrome getting rubbed off. i rubbed as much as possible so the chrome would come off, followed by the less harser scrubber to even things out.a better texture underneath.
Heres a Closeup :

One done and one to go :

I gave it an hour and i had a shower with the Housing. you dont have to do tht is u dont want too. LOL .....
i used just water to get the debri off and keep it smooth and clean.

The Next day it was ready to paint - i used the Nail polish remover once again with a fresh peice of cloth to rub it all over. Keep it for a few mins to dry and Ready to paint. I used Dupli Color Gun Metal Grey for my setup, 600Deg heat resistant.choose as you wish for yours.
with it Dried etc and with no Particles etc on it, the first Coat was given.

First Coat :

20 Mins break was given until the 2nd coat
Second Coat :

So it was kept over night to Dry well . The next day i focused on my Faded front clear plastic panel.
Used Meguiar's paint cleaner to rub all that Dead Skin off.
Be careful while installing the painted housing to the plastic panel as scratches could occur to the painted surface, tht could be pretty irritating.

Here it is : painted, Installed and Polished :

Put everything bak to the housing etc. to keep away dust from entering.
Reheat the Oven - 200Deg, 20 mins.
Put in you 1st lamp, with front facing down, on to a rag.
in 10mins remove you headlamps n start to put some force on it. many Use clamps etc to keep it tight, i used my Weight, Gently ofcourse on each side. I had to reheat it for 3-4 times so i could put my weight on each side for a few mins.careful not to keep the weight on the Middle of the housing as it may crack the plastic etc. Patience is a good virtue here.

Next, make sure all the clips are in place and pressed till its Best.
I then Used my Own silicon Bond just incase. Applied it all around the Lamp along the old Silicon area. Use a peice of Rag to flatten it out and fill any holes you see near the Clips. Few hours to Dry and your set.

and it was accompliased :

Thanks to Honda-acura.net for their help,
would love to help anyone who tried to do this. Its not that hard, the hardest part is getting the Silicon to bond again. but it turned pretty good for me.
If i left out anything, please do let me know. thanks.
cant wait to PUT EM ON !!!!!
HID ... mayb :)
Hope this was educational.

SD -

Top modification.

nice mod, i made this on my previous 96-98 front end, its another car with this mod...

I did this mod and it turned out nicely
However : In the UK you have to have the Chrome Reflective indicator part
Im sure Ive been told it will fail MOT if not reflective
Its easily masked off though

CIMG1023.jpg

lol :lol:

very good write up Im planning to do this soon , I have a spare smashed headlight to practice on frist though :naughty:

...also I noticed you did not use laquer , isit not necessary?

Back