Opinions on aftermarket brake rotors

pateras_vtec

Id stick to Honda or Brembo blank disks and spend the extra on the brake pad :nice:

Always used EBC blanks on previous cars and on the rear of my civic, all with no problems on the track or off the track

I personally think it's worth getting slotted rotors if you're going on trackdays. I used to get uneven pad wear when I used blanks. Might just be me though as I can't think of logical reason why it should make a difference.

Just get blank :) There is a reason why F1 cars also run blank :p Slotted can help a bit, but if it makes the difference between sufficient or not sufficient brake power, you should be looking into your setup and not into slotted disks :p They do look cool however.

Dimpled/drilled is the biggest bs there is. It will weaken the structural strength of the disk. Just do an image search on Google with the query "drilled disc crack". It also takes away mass of the disc meaning it will heat up quicker as there is less mass to absorb the heat. It's all for looks and at the cost of functionality.

262mm discs and set ups(ej9/ek3/ek4) suffer from warped discs. It is really annoying. Any advice on that?

Bigger discs -> more mass -> higher ability to absorb heat -> disc cooler -> less warping.

There might be discs with an alloy that has higher resistance to warping but it does not decrease you're brakes temperature. An acquaintance of mine had 262mm on his EK4 with B16 and he found them insufficient and upgraded to bigger brakes. Upgrade to 282mm if you have 262mm is VERY easy and probably not even more expensive than expensive discs.

for any serious track goers decent discs are a must. I did run some harsh as hell carbone lorainne RC6 on standard AP dixcel slotted discs and the discs lasted no time at all, wore them down so the slots were smooth and the discs were a mess with heat cracks

running AP dixcel full carbon discs with their R01 race pads and so far with 50 laps on KH and 30 laps of the ring the discs are still looking perfect - almost no wear at all

however for the majority i would say stick with OEM, i was shocked at how bad the run out was on a set of EBC blanks

I`m on the lookout for some aftermarket rotors. i`m not looking for something too fancy and expensive either. I track the car 2 maybe 3 times a year. EBC caught my eye, but can`t get reviews on them. EBC Front Sport Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors from HorsepowerFreaks
Also came across these DBA Brake Rotors for the Acura Integra from HorsepowerFreaks Brembo and the likes are way out of my budget right now. Also changing my pads, going for ebc yellows.
Any opinions for good buys?

im in the same boat as yourself i track my EK 2-3 times a year, i rum OEM blanks with Carbotech XP8s up front and HAWK HP+ on the rear on the road ive a bit of brake noise plenty of dust (they arent recommended for road) and they need a bit of heat but work fine when cold. On the track i find them absolutely amazing ive had no brake fade whats so ever and the stopping power is all i need. Plus they seem to work well with standard rotors they arent eating them up like alot of lads with carbon loraine say.

Just my 2cents

I ran these after a recomendation from a friend with an ITR

GROOVED BRAKE DISCS FRONT REAR INTEGRA TYPE R 1.8 DC2 | eBay

Sounds silly but they really are great! I have done Cadwell Park 3 times, Donington Park and Teeside (5 trackdays) Plus 10,000 road miles, there in fantastic shape no warps etc, and believe me i brake hard and late on track with my Wilwood Midilite 4pots and DS2500 pads Front and OEM calipers and EBC yellowstuff on the rear!

are the DC2 98spec/UK rear discs the same for an EK9? EBC have them listed as a different thickness :/

i`m not to keen of the slotted discs either, but that`s all i can get. I contacted vtec direct for p&p regarding oem rotors and still am waiting for a reply...

are the DC2 98spec/UK rear discs the same for an EK9? EBC have them listed as a different thickness :/

I never had/have a problem. Didn't notice any differences when I swapped them

Is it worthwhile to upgrade to big brake kits or just upgrade discs and pads?

Ill be tracking it every now and then and obv daily use.
For now its staying n/a and gonna aim as close to 250bhp as poss but may consider and save up to turbo my teg later in future...

I'd say you need at least 282mm/262mm with OEM rotors and good pads.

I see i see.

So its either big discs for 96 fitment or 98spec conversion :p

It's basically the same; the hubs are the same. So easy and cheap upgrade.

If you can stretch to the extra, then a big brake kit will make a lot of difference compared to just changing the discs and pads. Dont take my word for it, ask anyone on here who's done it. The difference between a decent disc/pad setup for £300 and a decent 4 pot upgrade for just over £500 is well worth the extra. I run 4 pots on my MX5 with 130bhp and get very similar lap times to an EK9 on standard brakes as I could brake 50 yards later on the straight than him :D

aftermarket kits are good value,

im very happy with my brakes on road and track but using oem calipers and discs with oem rear pads/aftermarket front pads and some braded lines, has cost me about £800-900 so puts into perspective the good value of some aftermarket kits out there

i really like my setup and have opted to stick with mine rather than aftermarket kit, never had issue and performs just how i like my brakes which is also personal pereference

Back