Rolling shots?

CarlM

Grey EK3 Owner
Anyone have any experence with focusing on a rolling shot? Took this, but i just cant get it focused, anyone any ideas for the future?

1965542_10204312416952506_9077717938008069015_o.jpg

P.s Opinions? :nice:

I know nothing about taking pictures but that genuinely looks pretty cool to me lol

What camera are you using? You could try stopping down the lens and hence increasing the depth of field - making it easier to keep the car in focus. Or investing in a professional lens witch much faster autofocus, this I found makes a HUGE difference. Also, from looking at your picture, it seems you have a problem keeping the camera steady rather than keeping the car in focus. Now this is a tricky one since decreasing shutter speed will remove the motion blur effect. At what speed where you doing this? If you were going fairly slow thinking it will be easier - it won't, the faster you go the faster shutter speed you can use - but PLEASE be careful and don't do anything silly like trying to take that shot on public roads at 100mph... ;)

I also have no clue on photography however that's a great looking shot and great looking civic you got sir

What camera are you using? You could try stopping down the lens and hence increasing the depth of field - making it easier to keep the car in focus. Or investing in a professional lens witch much faster autofocus, this I found makes a HUGE difference. Also, from looking at your picture, it seems you have a problem keeping the camera steady rather than keeping the car in focus. Now this is a tricky one since decreasing shutter speed will remove the motion blur effect. At what speed where you doing this? If you were going fairly slow thinking it will be easier - it won't, the faster you go the faster shutter speed you can use - but PLEASE be careful and don't do anything silly like trying to take that shot on public roads at 100mph... ;)

Hmm good thoughts! It was nearing dark so I didnt have much time to shoot, but this is 15-20 mph.. so maybe 40-50 would work, need a longer road lol, and just a 550d with a shitty kit lens :/ I only have telescopic lens's I nee to invest in a prime lens lol

Original shot is pretty good as is. Maybe some pre-planning before shooting, finding good roads with loads of room and variable speeds and ones that a quieter.

Practise is the only way to improve. So get out there and snap more!

Original shot is pretty good as is. Maybe some pre-planning before shooting, finding good roads with loads of room and variable speeds and ones that a quieter.

Practise is the only way to improve. So get out there and snap more!

Yeah, think your right, just getting some sample ones, may go and take some more towards dusk and see if a speedlight makes any nice effects :dance:

:thanks:

Set your focus point to the closest part of the car to you and use Servo mode for continuous focus tracking. Obviously depending on the light but I found using around 1/125 sec shutter is a good start, going down to 1/60th if you are really steady. Use the IS on the lens that should help too. To be honest the car looks sharp focus wise its just you need to keep the camera more steady.

Hmm good thoughts! It was nearing dark so I didnt have much time to shoot, but this is 15-20 mph.. so maybe 40-50 would work, need a longer road lol, and just a 550d with a shitty kit lens :/ I only have telescopic lens's I nee to invest in a prime lens lol

Nothing to add that hasnt already been stated apart from aye smash up your kit lens and get a prime haha.

class pic man dont see how u could improve it nice wheels too :p

do you want rolling shots, or rig shots. Because if you just want the effect of speed, a rig shot works a little easier because you have a constant distance/speed between car and camera

YYxckt.jpg

UTz0oX.jpg

xY487o.jpg

a6iI1q.jpg

when these shot were made, the car was moving at +/-3mph being pushed, but with a very low shutter speed.

do you want rolling shots, or rig shots. Because if you just want the effect of speed, a rig shot works a little easier because you have a constant distance/speed between car and camera

YYxckt.jpg

UTz0oX.jpg

xY487o.jpg

a6iI1q.jpg

when these shot were made, the car was moving at +/-3mph being pushed, but with a very low shutter speed.

I cant afford a rig :( Was tyrying vritual rig, but couldnt get the hang of it, espcially shadows :(

Back