My first bit of carbon ;)

General

So, I got my first bit of carbon a couple of days a go, it's an oem style ek9 roof spolier, only it's carbon fibre :)

The quality wasn't the best but overall, I'm happy with it.

I opened the box and unwrapped it. The base plate was already bolted on to it. The back of the base plate looks rough but doesn't bother me as it won't ever be seen after this below pic

IMG00068-20110217-1915.jpg

The carbon was nearly covering all areas, tiny bits left out like the below

IMG00067-20110217-1915-1.jpg

There was some tape on the carbon which left some glue marks on it, nothing that some t-cut or Auto glym super resin wouldn't sort out. So, after a quick polish it looked like this

IMG00063-20110217-1836-1.jpg

I then lifted my boot, unbolted the 2 10mm bolts on the side, popped out the plastic panel in the middle and unbolted the other 2 10mm bolts. I then slowly closed the boot and pulled off the original spoiler. When I done this, it looked dirty like it had never been cleaned before

IMG00065-20110217-1858-1.jpg

So, I gave it a quick clean and looked like this

IMG00066-20110217-1905-1.jpg

I then carefully placed the carbon spoiler (very light might I add), straight on top, it slides straight in without any effort or moving it around too much. I then bolted on the original bolts but be very very careful to not tighten it too much. Saying that, I had to tighten them a lot more than they were on before, the thread then popped out the top of the bolt as it was a rounded at the top. Reason for this is because there was too much gap between the spoiler and the body/glass of the car. Even after tightening it quite a bit, it looks like this

IMG00069-20110217-1925.jpg

IMG00070-20110217-1925.jpg

This is only a real close up of the item as I know many people have bought the same spoiler and would probably like to see photos of the actual item.

Hope this helps some of you guys.

Last edited:
How about some washers to space the spoiler evenly around the fixing points?

Between the spoiler and roof?

How about some washers to space the spoiler evenly around the fixing points?

Between the spoiler and roof?

Ah good idea! :)

The only thing is, I wanted it to sit flush on the rear glass but I can't remember how the original one sits

pics of the whole thing?

I tried but the cars filthy and because it's in the garage, the lights not shining on the whole car...Plus there's a couple of things I want to get done first.

Cool!

Glad you got some pictures up already! :win:

Like you said overall the finish is good.

Just waiting for mine to turn up now will be interesting to see how the OEM spoiler fits to the base plate. Kinda hoping I'll get it tomorrow but I proberly won't :((

Ah good idea! :)

The only thing is, I wanted it to sit flush on the rear glass but I can't remember how the original one sits

I tried but the cars filthy and because it's in the garage, the lights not shining on the whole car...Plus there's a couple of things I want to get done first.

By the looks of it... I dount it will.

I would use spacers to tighten it level then buy some thin sticky foam or double sided tape and lay that on the underside of the spoiler to

A fill the gap
B prevent any vibration cracking the fibre

Had to do this ages a go on a Carbon one for an EG.

Same sort of thing but look very neat once i'd finised and was very stable too.

Cool!

Glad you got some pictures up already! :win:

Like you said overall the finish is good.

Just waiting for mine to turn up now will be interesting to see how the OEM spoiler fits to the base plate. Kinda hoping I'll get it tomorrow but I proberly won't :((

Ye hopefully you should get yours soon buddy, not long to go :)

By the looks of it... I dount it will.

I would use spacers to tighten it level then buy some thin sticky foam or double sided tape and lay that on the underside of the spoiler to

A fill the gap
B prevent any vibration cracking the fibre

Had to do this ages a go on a Carbon one for an EG.

Same sort of thing but look very neat once i'd finised and was very stable too.

I'm worried about unscrewing it and tightening it again just in case I crack it but I will definitely have a go on the weekend, I've got sticky pads things anyway :nice:

Ye hopefully you should get yours soon buddy, not long to go :)

I'm worried about unscrewing it and tightening it again just in case I crack it but I will definitely have a go on the weekend, I've got sticky pads things anyway :nice:

Be better if it was tape you could run it continuous along the edge and will look much neater...

I know what you mean i despise working with carbon fibre.... :nerv:

Be better if it was tape you could run it continuous along the edge and will look much neater...

I know what you mean i despise working with carbon fibre.... :nerv:

It's black tape as well so should be nice and subtle! Cheers for the advise :nice:

i have one of these and i know what you mean, the fitment isnt awesome tbh

i have one of these and i know what you mean, the fitment isnt awesome tbh

From a couple of meters away, you would never notice.

Can't really complain though. Besides, you'll never got perfect fitment on non oem parts

Back