Gee's EK9 - Project Touge!

Gee

You can also view my blog Project Touge

Hi guys,

Had the car a few weeks now but not taken any decent pictures myself, so you will probably recognise the below pictures which were put up on this forum when it was for sale.

I will update this thread with all of the modifications and developments in the future.

98 Honda Civic Type R - EK9

Stock example a part from the following modifications:

-SPOON reservoir covers
-NKG 'blue' ignition leads
-MOMO aftermarket steering wheel
-Cusco Zero II coilovers

Initially I wanted to stay away from coilovers, but after taking a ride in the car, they are not bouncy or crashy at all. Apparently, they are 'stock' like when on softest setting.

I have never been in an EK9 without stock suspension, so can not confirm this. But they are real smooth compared to the D2's on my previous car and don't crash or bang, so they will be staying.

The emphasis of this car is to be a fast street car, that can also perform well on track. Therefore the car will keep full luxuries such as back seats, a boot and and stereo. All of which I removed when I had my previous car.

My plan was to drop a K20 engine in, but this may now of changed. A B18C may now be dropped in at some point and the power modifications will be started from then on.

Firstly the suspension/chassis/brakes will be seen to.

As part of the deal, I also managed to bag the following items brand new :)

-SPOON rear strut brace
-J's racing carbon intake (now sold)

th_SPOONStrutBrace.jpg
th_Js.jpg

And finally, some pictures of the car in question:

th_01.jpg
th_04.jpg
th_09.jpg
th_03.jpg
th_02.jpg

Please click the numbers below to enlarge the images:

1 2 3 4 5

07/02/09 - First Service Parts

OK, so had the car a couple of weeks now and when I bought it the seller said it had just been serviced...well I'm not taking any chances!

So, I have the following gathered for it's first service:

-OEM cam belt & tensioner
-OEM fuel filter
-HAMP oil filter
-J's Racing magnetic sump plug
-Denso Iridium spark plugs

And for the lubricants:

-Silkolene fully synthetic oil, 5w/40
-Red Line MTL gearbox oil

th_Picture002.jpg
th_Picture001.jpg
th_Picture.jpg

1 2 3

Thats all for now..just a small update, more soon.

17/02/09 - HardRace Engine And Transmission Reinforced Mount Set

So, my latest modifications have turned up...

Reinforced engine and transmission mounts made by HardRace.

Here is what they have to say:

-Hardness rubber mounts create more strength than OE rubber mounts.
-Immediately experience the feedback from engine acceleration.
-Reduce Engine movement significantly.
-Provide the maximum output under engine acceleration.
-Compound with high anti-vibration and durometer rubber material

I have never come across this manufacturer before and I came across them while searching for alternatives to the likes of Mugen and SPOON. I'm sorry, but the SPOON and Mugen engine mount sets are outrageously priced in my opinion.

The mounts still use rubber, so won't rattle your teeth out but are 50% stiffer to OEM which should be a good compromise compared to stock and polyurethane mounts.

Going by using TRD uprated mounts in my previous car which was a Toyota, the benefits listed can indeed be expected. I noticed the difference in engine response and overall feel of the car when installed.

Another reason I opted for the mounts is after discussing chassis and related components with a member of this forum is that his mounts were shot even though the car did not have that much mileage on it.

These should be fitted this Sunday, so I will let you all know how I find them

th_Picture001500x375.jpg
th_Picture002500x375.jpg

1 2

24/02/09 - HardRace Engine Mounts Installed

Got the engine mounts fitted on Sunday. Easy job for someone that knows what they are doing. Was done in my mates garage with 2 axle stands and a wind up jack :)

Fitment was perfect with no installation problems at all.

So, after fitting them I could tell there was a different straight away just from start up. Everything just seemed more firm and rigid..its hard to explain. The engine note is also louder, but in a nice way.

Driving the car, it feels a lot better. Turn in seems to be sharper and the engine is definitely more responsive through the rev's now.

I used to get a thud sometimes when slamming through the gears, which I assumed was because the OEM mounts were on the way out. Pictures below will tell the story on that.

Also amazingly (maybe this is in my head), but the crunch I got in 4th gear while way up in the rev's seems to have disappeared? :confused:

I have just recently changed to Redline gearbox oil, but it still crunched when I tested it..maybe it took sometime to settle? Who knows, I'm sure someone here will clear this up for me..maybe it is in my head. I'll do some further testing.

The only negative with fitting these mounts in the slight vibration coming from the dash on idle, but I totally expected this and accept it. While driving, it is not a problem anyway.

So overall I am happy with the mounts and would recommend them..thumbs up from me :nice:

No wonder the car feels so much better compared to OEM mounts though, check out the pictures below. Yes..the rubber fell out as soon as the mounts were removed!

th_Picture005500x375.jpg
th_Picture004500x375.jpg
th_Picture003500x375.jpg

Last edited:
nice to see you like your 9 gee

welcome to the dark side:nice:

They are a good choice of coilover indeed m8 :nice:

Thanks.

They do seem real nice. I won't be changing them :D

nice to see you like your 9 gee

welcome to the dark side:nice:

Cheers.

gee,

Why did you sell the rear Spoon brace?

I never mate, I sold the J's Intake.

Could not be arsed with the hassle of getting an enclosed box made up and I want something more stock looking.

Will probably going for something like the Comptech Ice Box.

Just noticed I put 'Now Sold' on the wrong item..I'll change that!

Thanks.

They do seem real nice. I won't be changing them :D

Cheers.

I never mate, I sold the J's Intake.

Could not be arsed with the hassle of getting an enclosed box made up and I want something more stock looking.

Will probably going for something like the Comptech Ice Box.

Just noticed I put 'Now Sold' on the wrong item..I'll change that!

LOL!

Yeah new you sold the J's racing, thought that was weird!

Do you wana sell the spoon rear to me? :D

Looking good man, congrats! :nice:

Thanks.

in for more updates

Small update just added..more soon!

Ps. I add updates to the 1st page by editing the original post..this way it makes it easier as updates can sometimes get lost in pages, which makes it hard for new visitors to the thread.

Hope that is OK.

finally this pics are here, looks nice mate keep us updated :)

Update as per page 1.

17/02/09 - HardRace Engine And Transmission Reinforced Mount Set

So, my latest modifications have turned up...

Reinforced engine and transmission mounts made by HardRace.

Here is what they have to say:

-Hardness rubber mounts create more strength than OE rubber mounts.
-Immediately experience the feedback from engine acceleration.
-Reduce Engine movement significantly.
-Provide the maximum output under engine acceleration.
-Compound with high anti-vibration and durometer rubber material

I have never come across this manufacturer before and I came across them while searching for alternatives to the likes of Mugen and SPOON. I'm sorry, but the SPOON and Mugen engine mount sets are outrageously priced in my opinion.

The mounts still use rubber, so won't rattle your teeth out but are 50% stiffer to OEM which should be a good compromise compared to stock and polyurethane mounts.

Going by using TRD uprated mounts in my previous car which was a Toyota, the benefits listed can indeed be expected. I noticed the difference in engine response and overall feel of the car when installed.

Another reason I opted for the mounts is after discussing chassis and related components with a member of this forum is that his mounts were shot even though the car did not have that much mileage on it.

These should be fitted this Sunday, so I will let you all know how I find them

th_Picture001500x375.jpg
th_Picture002500x375.jpg

1 2

Ah so you went for those mounts then ;)

If they are anything like my Spoon mounts you will like them, alot more response from the engine for sure!!

Like the car and what you've done so far, no point modifying it unless the engine etc is in tip top shape :)

nice choice in coilovers and other parts all good so far :D , i want an ek9 :(

Hey Gee, its looking good! :nice: let me know how you find the mounts!

Cheers Will.

Will do, should be getting them fitted on Sunday all being well.

Ah so you went for those mounts then ;)

If they are anything like my Spoon mounts you will like them, alot more response from the engine for sure!!

Like the car and what you've done so far, no point modifying it unless the engine etc is in tip top shape :)

Thanks a lot.

I did some searching on the internet before purchasing them and people had good things to say about them, so yeah went for them in the end.

Thanks for the kind comments. Really want the car to be in tip top shape and get the chassis in good nick before thinking about bolting on power hungry modifications.

Power is nothing without control they say :D

nice choice in coilovers and other parts all good so far :D , i want an ek9 :(

Cheers.

Lucky for me, the coilovers were on the car when I bought it.

Congrats on the 9 dude, some quality parts you got fitted already:nice:

Back