AWD Civic Coupe

purplecivicturbo

Hello all,

I just registered with the forum and found that there are some awesome cars here, i wish I had registered sooner!

Its not an EK, and ill remove it if people dont like it. But my car is a time attack (inspired, and will hopefully compete) AWD Civic.

Im an aerospace engineer during the day and on the side i run my own business called Whiteford-Davies Motorsport, so the odd person may recognise me from other forums.

The car is a 1995 Civic Coupe, originally with the D15B7 engine.

It has been butchered over the years until it has reached its final state. Mainly triggered by the engine blowing up following a turbo conversion.

The specs are now;

Benson Sleeved Built B20Z VTEC
Garrett GT3076r Twinscroll T3/T4
FULL-RACE dual gate manifold
4" Downpipe
WDM Coil Pack Conversion
WDM Engine Management / Position Interface
WDM Anti Lag System (full rally spec)
WDM Drive by Wire Conversion

Converted to AWD using the Honda CRV drivetrain. I have modified the rear diff to remove the control systems and retrofitted the Skyline R32 hydraulics unit with my own control computer (still in progress).

As its designed for time attack, the dry sump .etc has taken precedence over the space in the front, so the radiator has been relocated to the boot to increase the size and reduce the space taken, also helping the balance.

There is a basic aero package in design including a flat bottom, rear diffuser, WDM active rear wing, WDM / Mitsubishi active front aero / splitter / lip.

The pictures should really say more than i can say;

This is the car as it stood when it came off the road - minus a main bearing and CYL 1.. lol

IMG_5576.jpg

IMG_5572.jpg

100_1165.jpg

Here are the modifications to provide the 4wd..

100_1687.jpg

100_1686.jpg

100_1679.jpg

100_1383.jpg

100_1723.jpg

100_1724.jpg

Fuel cell and rear radiator;

100_1738.jpg

IMG_6204.jpg

The brake setup. With the anti lag preventing full vacuum at idle ive used an Audi A4 vacuum pump;

100_2059.jpg

A few of the active wing;

100_2249.jpg

100_2247.jpg

100_2250.jpg

I designed a new dash as well, this uses a computer to generate graphics for 2 screens. One showing the most important features whereas the second shows optional information whcih the driver can select. The system also features pre recorded voices which can alert to serious faults. The system means that as the driver you dont have to concentrate on gauges or readouts, the dash will inform you of any faults but everything is available if you want it;

100_2442.jpg

Added some new dash panels too;

IMG_7100.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg

SteeringRender.jpg

WP_000057.jpg

ive added the wheel arches. I wanted to keep them separate to the actual car in case of damage. Plus i have seen a few examples of filler cracking as the body twists..

WP_000204.jpg

WP_000205.jpg

The front active aero was one of the most recent things;

WP_000228.jpg

Thats pretty much everything to date.. Ive been saving up for a long time to afford the respray on the car, i almost have everything i need now. The only things really left are to are finish removing the original arches to allow the wider wheels to pass under...

The side intakes for the radiator, ive not done the best job installing them as the bodyshop is far more skilled than i at getting it right

100_2523.jpg

100_2518.jpg

Rollcage in;

WP_000065.jpg

Oh, and this is a picture of the engine;
100_2377.jpg

At the weekend, for no reason whatsoever the rear window shattered. Because of the price of the new glass ive decided to opt for lexan windows..

WP_000241.jpg

This looks AWESOME!! The custom dials etc are sweet!!

A lot of work has went into this, KUDOS for not giving up after the engine going :nice:

Cant wait for video's :run:

serious work/fabrication went into this, that wing is immense!
are you using solidworks to design the dials?

Epic car bud , will be keeping an eye on this :nice:

alot of work in that! fair play. Hope it looks the part when you get round to the bodywork.

respect to the build man, alot of time and money building this... willl be good to see it go

That is insain and awesome bud.

Will be keeping an eye on this build :nice:

Seen this on mcr-vtec was wondering when it would appear on here.

Awsome build mate! Did you originaly design your own anti-lag system for it?

been looking at your build for a long time, looking really nice an its getting there slowly keep up the good work

thats amazing! words cant describe how f**ckin awesome that is lol. good job man

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps.. and thanks for your nice comments..

Yes, i designed its anti lag system.. The "WDM" at the start of it is the company i set up to fund this build "Whiteford Davies Motorsport" (i dont want to get in trouble for advertising or anything). Any of the stuff i put WDM in front of is mine..

Its a rally "style" anti lag.. So it will maintain a level of boost (or prevent vacuum) at idle and throttle off conditions. Thats the main reason i converted it to drive by wire..

Ive just noticed photobucket has died, looks like im going to have to put a quid in the meter..

awesome build, a lot of time and effort gone into this, cant wait to see the progress

Yo man! Was following your build up on civiclife! Its looking good, some of
Your handy work with the electronics gear is amazing!

Back