HOW TO: MPH Converter into EK9 Cluster

Ally138

Don't think there is one on this on here so I thought I'd share this. I had this fitted into my EJ9 but I'm guessing the wiring would be the same as an EK4 as the previous owner of the cluster had this in his Jordan.

what you need:

-screw driver
-soldering iron
-scissors

29147fa1.jpg

Hond-R Vehicle Speed Sensor Delimter / JDM Converter | O2 Simulators And Delimiters | Hond-R

You can probably get it cheaper than £70 but this is the exact same one. It has definitely changed to MPH but I'm not sure about the 112mph limiter being removed though.

First wrap the Black and Red wires round these two screws as shown (black - left, red - right). Loosen the screws a bit, hook the wire onto them and tighten it up :)

545c1f5b.jpg

Next up is you would obviously want to remove your old cluster. Disconnect the battery. Remove the plastic surround (two screws at the top holds it in)

c7559067.jpg

Then there are four screws that hold the cluster onto the bracket. unscrew them and find 2 blue connectors, one orange and one yellow. Disconnect all plugs and you will be modifying the larger blue plug that was originally connected to the top.

It is the 5th cable from the left which is striped blue and white (the one I'm lifting with my thumb)

6423234f.jpg

What you need to do next is cut this blue/ white wire and solder the grey and yellow wires in between. So after cutting it you need to strip a bit of the wire skin off then solder the grey one with the end that is connected to the blue plug. The soldering can be quite tricky to keep the wires together so probably best to get someone to hold the two wires together and also not easy to work behind a steering wheel (unless yours is a snap off like mines)

9a946ffb.jpg

then the yellow one to the one that goes with the rest of the looms

e1660ad0.jpg

so when you're finished should look like this

photo4.jpg

new dials installed and looking much better than the misty ej one I had before :)

84fb8e72.jpg

A slight issue I have just now is I don't have an airbag and my civic is non-abs so the SRS light and ABS

4f1f2a48.jpg

Basically the plugs at the back:

Orange - ABS
Yellow - SRS

So if you have no airbag or ABS don't plug these in. I will be unplugging mines. Hope this was helpful

wow thats really nice cuz here in the states you need mph one question i got its how you change the center clock to from kph to mph

wow thats really nice cuz here in the states you need mph one question i got its how you change the center clock to from kph to mph

Are you talking about how it says "mph" instead of "kph"? It came with a sticker lol so you just stick over it :)

Good write up mate :nice: Eventually wana do this myself :p

Dont pay £70 for it, what a rip off!
£29 from aEbay shop, good product.

very handy to know, i need to re-doo my ek9 as it is reading in kmh as the old speedo converter was wired in on my old engine loom/harness.

although it is funny watching the needle go past 180 and off the clock:clap:

thanks for the comments, the needles would flicker now and then and half of the light would go off during some journeys but not all the time. prob give it another soldering job when weather is better

Dont pay £70 for it, what a rip off!
£29 from aEbay shop, good product.

I actually can't find any other place that sell this. When Maz at Hond-R had the B16B, Andy boyle sold to me, he asked me if I wanted to get the limiter removed for £70. I refused it at the time, but would you think what I done above would have removed the limiter? lol I know there is only one way to find out but there has been a lot of cops around the area lately :(

I've got an odd problem with my setup, thought it might have been feeding km/h to the cluster but it doesnt make sense as the value of mph on my ek4 clocks is far below the real speed. I've got an S80 gearbox with what I believe is a JDM ek9 loom and an Apexi Power FC, the setup came from Ireland so I'm assuming it would have been kept in km/h.

Could I change to mph when I remap my p28? Or can only hondata do this?

Hi guys, mine still doesn't read accurate MPH even though i did the steps as described above.

anyone got any solutions to that problem?

Thanks

Back