Taking off a door

bikerben

Hi all,

i need to swap a door over from a matching ek3 onto my ek4 but before i do id like some advice from someone who's done it themselves.

Removing the door itself should be easy but how much work is involved in the electrics? Does the door have its own loom that un plugs, or do i have to swap them by physically removing them and reinstalling them one by one??

Thanks as always - Ben

I removed a door earlier this year... it really is very easy.

i honestly can;t remeber anything about the electrics... i remember simply unbloting it and then taking it off. any electrics were there i think were simply clips.. all you will need to do is bolt the new door on mate..

Make sure you got some padding down as the door isn't light.. and may knock on the floor..

Also i think you have to get the Front wing off to get the door off..

Sorry its very vague but basically i am saying it is very easy. i got it off in about 10 minutes..

As Topher said it is very easy!

The best/easiest way to do it is to knock the pins out of the hinges!
This saves time & faffing around trying to get to all the bolts & lining the door up when re-fitting.

The electrics are very easy too, just one big plug on the inner door edge. Just press in the two sides of the plug & pull!

Last edited:
Yeah mate, changing the door is very easy itself. All the electrics are easy enough to swap over too. I think its just your mirrors, windows and central locking to swap over and also a bigger plug of somesort (cant remember what its for)

I hit a snag when puttin a new one on though :( the only reason I changed the door is I got a bad bang on my original one, then when I put the new one on it wouldn't line up properly because it turns out the previous bang had moved the front slightly so need to try and sort that somehow, apparently you can "tap" the metal hinges on the car forward, dunno though. Just a heads up incase thats why your changing your door buddy :nice:

Cheers guys hoped it would be easy but wanted to check first, ill also be swapping both wings at the same time. Swapped the bonnet over today which was a quick and straight forward job.

Want to get it all done this week whilst im off work as having two ek's sat on the drive isn't winning me any friends.

If the door loom unplugs the job will be nice an easy!

LOOM! thats the plus I was talkin about dude, I always forget about them :lol:

good luck! :nice:

Lol

think ill need to swap the colour coded door handle and the electric mirror over as i don't think that the ek3 has them.

Wanna get it done then sell off the car quickly.

Believe it or not thats the 2nd time i've forgot that word, loom haha

Ah right, fair does man! I swapped over my door handles for colour coded ones not so long again it was a pain in the arse haha

Worst part is dealing with that awful gunk Honda used on the door plastic liners - man i hate that stuff!!

Aw man that stuff is just nasty! A small tip, furniture polish or WD40 get it off your hands etc immediately :nice:

No probs man, I found it out by accident after I got it on my hands, hair jeans you name it lol Was just using some WD40 and it went onto my hands and it came off straight away :win:

On my door i got a rag soaked in petrol and removed it and waterproofed my speaker.

Back