EK9 rear lights

Mattyv

Tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything.

Just a quick question for everyone with ek9's really...how are your rear lights wired up? Reason I ask is because I looked at the wiring of mine and the passenger side loom is fine and just needs a new holder + bulb for it to be normal..but the drivers side has been 'bodged' at some point by a previous owner, the rear bottom tail light holder (remember ek9's rear tail light should be the top part and bottom part) has been replaced with some other holder that doesn't even fit properly with wires chopped and twisted together to create some sort of 'ghetto' fog light, which is operated by a switch to the bottom/right side of the steering wheel.

I understand that in Japan having fog lights is not madatory apparently, but in the UK it's illegal to not have a rear fog light on the drivers side, so have all ek9 owners on here got a fog light of some sort wired up on their drivers side light? If so how have it been done?

Cheers for any info :nice:

I did mine. I used the tail/brake light holder from a ej9 and wired it in so that the sidelight part came on with the side lights and used the brake light part for the fog. Can get pics if you want

On my drivers side rear light where the bottom part lights up, I have replaced it with a double filament bulb holder and wired that into my fog light switch. If the switch is off then the lights are normal i.e top and bottom are lit up, when I turn the switch on the bottom part lights up brighter like the normal UK civic's fog light does (and in the same location).

I hope that makes sense.

Andy

I did mine. I used the tail/brake light holder from a ej9 and wired it in so that the sidelight part came on with the side lights and used the brake light part for the fog. Can get pics if you want

Yeah if you could get pics that would be great :nice:

On my drivers side rear light where the bottom part lights up, I have replaced it with a double filament bulb holder and wired that into my fog light switch. If the switch is off then the lights are normal i.e top and bottom are lit up, when I turn the switch on the bottom part lights up brighter like the normal UK civic's fog light does (and in the same location).

I hope that makes sense.

Andy

Yeah that makes sense..I actually went to see a guy earlier on and we were discussing exactly what you have done..which would be perfect in my eyes. Could you get any pics up mate?

Cheers

This is how I wired them up:

Drivers side:
IMAG0072.jpg

Passenger side:
IMAG0073.jpg

Rear lights...Sidelights:
IMAG0074.jpg

Rear lights...Sides+fogs:
IMAG0075.jpg

Rear lights...Fogs+brakes:
IMAG0076.jpg

Rear lights...Brakes+sides:
IMAG0077.jpg

Yeah that's spot on mate :nice: much appreciated!

So to get mine to work in the same way as your do I just need an ej9 holder?

Might go take pics of how mine are at the moment so you have a better idea..not sure if I'll need a whole new loom you see because there's wires been chopped/twisted together...

Yeah pretty much mate. I can help you with the wiring as well...it's really quite simple :)

Drivers side..
IMG00005-20110509-1942.jpg

Passenger side..
IMG00004-20110509-1941.jpg

See on the drivers side the red and black wire has just been chopped on the holder (which goes in the bottom of the light) and the other wire is just twisted together and taped over..

As I said the passengers side is fine I think just maybye need a new holder + bulb as there's no bulb in and the holder looks pretty burnt up.

Apologies for the picture quality I just took them quickly with my phone! Just wanted to show hows it laid out rather than details of what wire goes to where.

Yeah definitely sounds like you need a new holder and of course bulb. I went to a scrapyard and got the whole rear bulb harness (left and right - for free [big pockets ;)] :D) and just snipped the brake/tail light holder and spliced it into the existing loom on both sides and used the existing wiring for the fog light (had a gay one under the bumper) and used that for the new fog light holders.

Here are pictures of mine:

The yellow wire goes to the fog switch and is going to the wire of the brake like part of the double filament holder. The normal light wire is connected to the orignal cable.

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

Switch off:

IMAG0132.jpg

Switch on:

IMAG0134.jpg

Yeah definitely sounds like you need a new holder and of course bulb. I went to a scrapyard and got the whole rear bulb harness (left and right - for free [big pockets ;)]

The scrapyard is where I got mine also. Make sure to get a spare, just in case the first one doesn't work.

The one on the left is the original bulb and holder, the one on the right is the double filament holder.

IMAG0135.jpg

Last edited:
Haha cheers lads been a great help :nice:

Looks like you two pretty much have the same thing.

Definitely seems that way lol but I gotta say...it looks better than the gash foglight-below-the-bumper look lol

15042009193.jpg

Haha yeah certainly does mate :lol:

The lad I was talking to actually mentioned that that's what some people do just to get it through the M.O.T!

Thanks again!

Hi EK9ctr

Im from south africa, and own a EK4.. im wanting to do the conversion to my tail lights soon but want to make sure i know how they work exactly... im a DIY'er so not scared of the wiring etc just want to make sure its right first time.

my question is, when one switches on the lights(first click/park lights), the top and bottom of the light come on, as they do when the light is fully switched on as well. the part i want to make sure i understand is while im driving, when i press the break pedal, do both top and bottom light up brighter, or just the top section of the light?

thanks in advance :)

Hi Skar.

As standard, when the brake pedal is pressed just the top section lights up like this:

IMAG0077.jpg

When the brake pedal is not depressed it will look like this:

IMAG0074.jpg

Hope that helps :)

thank man! ill start on mine hopefully tomorrow or this weekend, been told of a place that supplies the bulb holders!
i notice you said "as standard", does that mean that alot of the guys mod it so that both come on? not that i want to do it but interested anyhows..

I'm not sure if a lot of people do it but my mate who has a 1996 JDM EK4 SiR has his wired up so that both come on for the brake lights.

Something like this:
IMAG0076.jpg

I don't really like it that way though

Back