HOW TO: Tilt stock EK spolier ( pic heavy )

Topher-EK9

Killa B !!
Donator
Right today i was bored and it was very sunny, i had a few bits to take of my EK4 anyway so i thought i'd take some photo's and do a write up of how to Tilt the stock EK spolier...:woot:

Seen alot of people asking about it and alot of people saying it is easy just go and try it. it really is very easy but for those that may be a bit weary of working on their car's here is a step by step tutorial ( if you can call it that ) showing exactly how to do it.

Here is the boring EK spolier setup, it actually drops off the roof line.. :mad: which doesn't look good :nono:

Boringstockspolier1.jpg

You will need to take off the plastic trim in the tailgate..so you can see this

holesleftafterspolierremoval2.jpg

Once you have this off you will see 2 bolts either side...
Simply remove these bolts...
Take off the spolier carefully if there is a brake light simply disconnect it. there is a clip over on the right hand side of the spolier..

once the spolier is off you should be able to see these holes

closeupofholes3.jpg

We will only be using the Hole on the right hand side...
Reverse this for the left hand side of the spolier as well.

This is the bolt that we will be building up the washer on..

spolierbolts4.jpg

LIKE SO .....

buildupwashers5.jpg

I used rubber hard rubber washers, alot of people use actuall bolts with tape over. I thought by using these rubber washers there would be less vibration and also it gives a more professional looking job than some tape and washers.. lol

Do this both sides on the bolt that has a raised piece underneath it. like so

washersbuiltup6.jpg

washersbuiltupotherside7.jpg

Now carefully relocate the bolts without the washer on them. Like so..

bottomholeslineup11.jpg

locatetopholes10.jpg

Now is a good time to clip the brake light wires back together

brakelight8.jpg

Tuck this into the spolier

brakelighttuckedin9.jpg

Now hand tighten the Nuts onto bolts that DO NOT have the washers on them.
Once you have hand tightened them both sides.... Check the spolier for clearance...

I Found that building the washers up so that they are just about level with the top of the bolt is about the perfect tilt ...

Check Clearance

notadjusted12.jpg

i then had to prop the spolier up with my finger while i tightened the Nuts so that the spolier had more clearance giving it about an extra 1mm of clearance was all it needed. otherwise the roof side of the spolier mashes into the car and can scratch it..

propitup13.jpg

Once both nuts are tightened on to the bolts you should have something like this either side.. where you have a bolt with nuts tightened on them and a blank hole.

Fitted14.jpg

:dance: Then stand back and Revel in your new baller status :dance:

Finalproduct15baller.jpg

Last edited:
good idea putting this up mate im sure theres plenty of boys on the forum wanting to do bits and bobs to there car without having to spend masses of money :)

I was impressed how good it actually looks.
There is an art to getting it right though.. i trial fitted it 4 times with different amounts of washers.. Too much tilt looks silly and it looks like you have done it your self and looks cheap, if that makes sense.
Where as just the right amount of tilt gives an OEM look to it.
:))

you did it such a long way :p

i undid the spoiler bolts when the boot is up then shut the boot and slotted 2 wheel nuts under the back 2 bolts, so its resting on the window. then rebolted the closest 2 to the roof.

job done

good write up mate, tried to +rep you for it but need to spread some around 1st :(( lol

:nice:

you did it such a long way :p

i undid the spoiler bolts when the boot is up then shut the boot and slotted 2 wheel nuts under the back 2 bolts, so its resting on the window. then rebolted the closest 2 to the roof.

job done

Lol badman...:p funniest thing is i did actually use wheels nuts to start with lol but not how you say, i started out using the standard honda locking nut as it doesn't have a cap on it so i slipped this over the bolt instaed of the plastic washer's but this gave to much of a tilt and looked a bit **** Tbh.

Ah thats nice of ya gav.. :nice:

Ek9ctr - could do, but i am not the one with the power. :))

P.S car is dirty as a whore as being borken so no comments about the state of it.

Last edited:
good write up mate, tried to +rep you for it but need to spread some around 1st :(( lol

:nice:

Haha same here Gav with the rep :lol:

Well in Chris, goin to do this! :nice:

Cant wait think I will do it tomorrow or sunday lol

Last edited:
Used this to help me do mine, such a simple mod but makes the car look a lot better!

Cheers!

This may be a daft question but as I'm still learning about the ek9, but can the standard ek9 spoiler be tilted??

Yea you can buy tilt brackets from tegiwa for like 50 quid n their is 3 differant positions you can seat the spoiler

Actually I'm pretty happy to find a thread like this, because this little mod looks cool. I just have one little question, since my native language is not English. What is those things called washers? I really can't figure out.
Edit: Oh and one more thing. If you relocate the bolts without the washers on them, then putting the stuff together, then when is the time to put the washer on? Sorry for being a lame ass, but don't really get it :/

Last edited:
^ no worries dude, washers are spacers. or a flat disc of metal that goes onto a screw :)

glad it helped you :nice:

One more question,
As I raised the spoiler, under that the bolts and 2 metal stuffs are visible. Did you do anything to hide that, or what do you recommend for that? And what about rain and water when you wash your car? Does the water get in the trunk through the holes?

i thought rain would get in etc when i done mine, so i just smeared some silicone stuff over the holes just to be sure and can be easily peeled off if need be :)

Back