Oil pressure light on startup

m90polk

Ive been waiting for awhile
Hello from the states,
I have a 1996 integra type r motor in a 2000 2dr. civic that was installed about 3 weeks ago. After driving it for a couple days i noticed that the oil pressure light stays on for about 3 seconds on cold starts. For me this seems to be a little to long as sometimes on cold start i hear a metal on metal noise from the valvetrain prior to the light going out. Once the light is off there is no issues and everything works normal. I have researched online and have not come to a definite conclusion as to what is causing this . So far i changed the filter and still it happens the oil is also fine. Could this be the oil pumps inability to properly hold pressure when turned off for extended amounts of time? I have a new oil pump that i purchased and also will be replacing the oil pan gasket too. I dont feel it is a faulty oil pressure sensor either since if it was just that i wouldnt have any metal noises coming from the top end prior to the light going off. Some insight would greatly be appreciated from anyone who has had or dealt with something similar before.
Thanks

Hey the light should go off quicker than 3 seconds usually after building pressure. You could try using thicker oil which was increase cold pressure but i dont think thats a long term solution.

My b16b started doing this and the light would stay on at idle rpm. Shortly after it spun a bearing and i had to replace it.

Do you have the ability to remove the oil pump? You can open it up and check the rotor wear inside the pump, the pump on my failed engine had worn outside of spec and was chocked full of bearing particles.

If the oil oump is fine, it could be worn bearings as these will have an effect on how quick the car can build oil pressure.

Sadly i dont think its goner be easy whatever u have do

A small hamp filter increases oil pressure slightly. Id remove the pump and open it up to check for wear, also check the oil for gold swarf. Which is non magnetic bearing particles.

Yes i actually have a new itr oil pump im installing today along with oil pan gasket and oil pressure sensor. i just purchased the motor from an importer shop here so its relatively new, the motor looked immaculate internally when i opened it up. And i have a magnetic drain plug for the oil pan so as long as it has no metal on it i can rule out the bearings i believe. Either way i will post up my findings after i have installed all the new parts.

A small hamp filter increases oil pressure slightly. Id remove the pump and open it up to check for wear, also check the oil for gold swarf. Which is non magnetic bearing particles.

I intend on running the hamp im just waiting for it to be shipped to me. This gold swarf i will definitely check for and being that its non magnetic sucks, but i will let you know.

Ye empty the oil into the drain pan. Then with sum gloves go panning for gold haha

it is not the oil pump that creates the pressure, it is the fine tolerances between the metal parts of your engine that create the pressure. The pump only works to create a flow rate to these areas were pressure is created.

most likely the bottom end bearing are worn out of tolerance perhaps.

Ye the bearing tolerence is usually what causes the low pressure. Them all the fragments end up inside the oil pump

it is not the oil pump that creates the pressure, it is the fine tolerances between the metal parts of your engine that create the pressure. The pump only works to create a flow rate to these areas were pressure is created.

most likely the bottom end bearing are worn out of tolerance perhaps.

Only question i have regarding that is i have no noise from the bottom end, so would the clearance issues cause it to loose pressure for extended periodsof time? I only had the issue of the oil light for 3 seconds when it was left parked for 2 hours or more, other than that it was a non issue. I did end up replacing the pump and oil pan gasket today so i will see if this does anything regarding it. My friend has a b20vtec and he has had this same issue for the life of the motor and it hasnt been any worse than it was 3 years ago when it was built. He feels it is a non issue but for me that three seconds is an eternity.

Maybe an after market oil pressure guage will settle your nerves. As long as the car builds pressure within a couple of seconds and then you never lose pressure on idle you "should" be ok. If the light flickers on when you idle or pull away then its a ticking time bomb. The shell bearings, crank etc have oil channels in them. These tight clearances create oil pressure, if the bearings are worn, its a circle of doom, low pressure causes a lack of lubrication on start up, and the bearing material can contaminate the oil and build up in the pump etc.

My advice is check your oil for gold particles, fit an aftermarket oil pessure guage and t t off the oem pressure sender spot. When your start the car never touch the throttle etc when the car is building oil pressure.

keep an eye on it and if the light comes on on idle, turn it of so you can save the crank shaft

You got an oil cooler? My old engine did this acouple of times when I first fitted an oil cooler.

Ok so an update regarding it. After replacing the oil pump, pan gasket and pressure sensor it is no longer an issue . The light goes off within a second and no longer has the noise from the topend on cold start. I checked the oil and it was fine no gold swarf, i still have the original oil pump which i want to take apart and check the clearance.

Back