help needed ! b16b issue

VinnyEK

Jet Sliver B16b EK4
Idle in the car is very jumpy . when the car is started it idles grand but when reved starts hunting fairly bad (video attached) tryed cleaning the idle control vavle and it was filthy , this helped a small bit but still not great. the when you release the tension the lead going up to the icv the car almost dies and then idles perfect but after a while it starts hunting again , the car also isnt really consistant when starting sometimes it will fire other times it wont and needs a jump, think it could be miss firing a small bit aswell not really sure as it doesnt get much road time. what could it be bad icv connection or something else ?

Mine does exactly the same! But ever since I changed it to a spoon ecu, it idles so perfectly. Not exactly sure what can be done without swapping the ecu.. It was so annoying at the traffic lights cause folk thought you were just an arse so I'd had my foot on the brake and put it into gear and slowly lifted the clutch to engage first gear. It only stops th hunting a wee bit but still idled quite high..

annoying isnt it , have asked a few people but no one really knows

It really is. Even my mechanic cleaned out the IVAC and swapped it for another one. Then he told me to just kick the **** out the car since I haven't been driving it. Did you leave it sitting for a while?

I mentioned to him that because I changed the ECU, it idled better and he said maybe some moist got into the ECU since when I neglected the car lol. The oem ECU has now been sitting in my room for the past few weeks so I might put that back in to see if it changed anything.

On my dads DC2 recently I:

-Took IACV, tried cleaning, better for about 10mins
-Ordered one from a breaker, tried it, nothing, sent it back.
-Sprayed the **** of my dads original, like filled up at the holes to the brim with carb cleaner and let settle, repeated a couple of times with a final last spray and voila, 900rpm steady idle, his used to sit between 1.5-2k.

Genuinely couldn't believe it worked myself.

Check plugs and leads too if your having trouble firing etc..

found out the hunting issue it was a loose vaccum line ! opened up the distributer today and there was debre inside it , i presume this is my misfire problem ? grtting a new one friday so hopefully it will sort it

hopefully ! can anyone describe what its meant to look like new ?

I had the same problem a while back. Cleaned my IACV & throttle body twice with no change.

Then as you say found a vacuum pipe popped off - noticed a gold valve on the back of the inlet mani which when I put my finger over it stopped the hunting idle. Found the hose, popped it back on and not had a problem since.

I was going to suggest vacuum pipe/leak until I read your post above. Hope it's sorted.

did you try to reset the ecu?

Back